LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 296 users in the forums

JWhitlock of FoxSports Top Ten QB's..

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Quote:
The greatest quarterback of all time is the one who could excel in all five eras. The criteria is: Which quarterback would you prefer to start a franchise with in any decade?

I would choose steve young at 1 then.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
I can't believe people make a living writing this garbage.

No kidding, where do I sign up? I'm about as in accurate as he is with my stats and my typos rival Ratto.
  • PlayAction
  • Info N/A
If I'm drafting a qb for my team Pop Warner of NFL...I'd want him (or her hahha) to have some mobility. Defenses seem to be getting bigger and faster ever year. Having the ability or escapability to run and throw or just run for first downs or touchdowns can often be the make or break play on any given sunday. One of the biggest reasons I'd take Montana, Young, Elway or Farve (when he was younger) over Manning or Marino was their ability to escape the pass rush, or run down the field like an extra rb. Very few plays demoralize a defense like a qb running for first downs and touchdowns when a defense think they've got everything covered. Seems to me it's okay for a qb to be a good scrambler AND have a pretty decent arm too.

As damn dangerous as PManning is, (no doubt!)...if he had even half the mobility of the above qb's I mentioned he'd be even that much MORE dangerous.. JMO
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Once someone doesn't put Montana on the top of their QB list, I stop listening to them.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

No kidding, where do I sign up? I'm about as in accurate as he is with my stats and my typos rival Ratto.

Most sports writers are trash.
What did he mean when he said if the corners were actually able to defend the receivers. I thought the game was much more physical back then and they didn't have the no contact past 5yd rule.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by asakkings:
What did he mean when he said if the corners were actually able to defend the receivers. I thought the game was much more physical back then and they didn't have the no contact past 5yd rule.

It's a compliment saying that he was great back then when defensive backs were allowed to play the game. If he played now, Montana would be even more dominant is what Whitlock is trying to say.
One thing people forget is that Elway started winning SBs AFTER he had Terrell Davis. WITHOUT Davis, he could not win one SB. So if Whitlock mentions Montana had Rice, SB XVI and XIX were without and Montana STILL WON. Without Davis, Elway could not win one. Bad argument saying Elway better. He may be better physically with God given attributes, but there was only one Mr. Clutch. My final word is watch the very last time these two matched up against each other. It was Monday night in the early Nineties when Elway just brought the Broncos the lead and Montana with only a few minutes left, if that, took KC (breaks my heart that he actually wore any uniform then the red and gold) all the way down for the TD and win. End of story.
Originally posted by servegmo:
yes he is a little off on his rankings:

1. Montana
2. Brady
3. Elway
4. Unitas
5. Manning
6. Favre
7. Young
8. Marino
9. Otto G.
10. Frank T.

really you put favre over young?

young was way more accurate, and didnt choke anywhere near as hard as favre always does.
What is he talking about when he says "In an era where DBs could actually defend". Ah, unless I am mistaken, in Montana's era the DBs could get away with a lot more. In todays NFL they can barely breath on the WR without getting a penalty. Am I missing something here?

jason whitlock is f**kin idiot, i do not read anything that guy writes i advise you guys to ignore any future articles by this f**king used s**t stained piece of toilet paper
The column loses all credibility once he puts Elway at no. 1.
  • Envy
  • Veteran

Its okay. I think they stopped the random drug testing at Fox.
Whitlock is a b!tch. Pot stirrin fat azz cok sucker always likes to be the contrarion.

Hey fat fvck... 55-10. Ask Elway. He knows what that means.

Also do some better research. Go to the library if necessary. Its free you pr!ck.
[ Edited by 602_JamestownAve on Feb 11, 2010 at 2:51 PM ]
Couldn't get my hands off my sides for a full 10 minutes I was laughing so hard.

Someone needs to show Whitlock that it's still February. Not March 31st.

Would have been an epic April Fools joke if he looked at a calender once in awhile.

~Ceadder
Share 49ersWebzone