LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

Can We Afford to Extend Our Players?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GoldenBear:

If you want to b***h about our drafting, go be a raiders fan.

he'll have so much b*tching to do about the Raiders drafts he wont have time to talk crap about ours.
We can't afford not to extend those guys...and while I don't expect us to be big FA players, we should be able to sign a few guys. There won't be any Peppers or huge ticket players, but that's ok. We can draft a monster DE at a fraction of the cost. One of the things that's hurt the Pats is they either weren't able to extend some of their vets or simply thought they had to get rid of them to get younger players on the field. Singletary's advantage is most of his core players aren't old...so, all the more reason to extend their contracts.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by GoldenBear:
Originally posted by krizay:
If we knew how to draft we wouldn't have to constantly extend average starters. Then we could get some free agents.

What the hell is everyones problem? You all act like we have the worst GM in the league.

Crabtree, Brown, Morgan, Goldson..etc The Rachal/Balmer draft was very disappointing, but the jury is still out. Even if that draft is a bust, we have grabbed at least 1 badass starter in each draft that our GM has orchestrated.

If you want to b***h about our drafting, go be a raiders fan.

JQ

Fixed the other players you named were not drafted by McCloughan. He played a part but he did not pull the trigger on them. If you blame Nolan then you must also give him the credit he is due as well.

~Ceadder

Nolan was a scumbag and a liar. The king of double talk. The fact is, McCloughan was there. He was the scout, and I refuse to believe that it was Nolans knowhow and ability that brought these players here.

Nolan should have pulled the "final trigger" on his...Nm thats cold..

I understand where you are comming from Ceadder, but Nolan doesn't have the skills to evaluate and make those decisions.

In my opinion. Which means nothing.

JQ
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Since it will be an uncapped year, would it be wise to extend all our essential players right now? That way we could majorly frontload their contracts, while potentially going over the salaray cap, but would be in salary cap heaven the next few years?

Nope what folks seem to be missing is that the owners are gonna spend less money not more in an uncapped year. their is no floor on what teams can spend and you are seeing guys getting cut know b/c they money is too high not b/c of the salary cap. Peppers isn't gonna get a big contract like big Al did last year b/c teams just aren't gonna pay that much b/c all the owners are going into save money for lock out mode. And the salary cap is never coming back Teams won't front load a contract if there isn't gonna be football next year.
Share 49ersWebzone