LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

FOUR GREATEST SUPER BOWL QB'S AND HOW THEY RANK

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Not all the greats played in super bowls!

Bruce Jenkins (Chron) sees it this way, I kinda agree

1. Joe Montana. 2. Johnny Unitas. 3. Otto Graham. 4. John Elway. 5. Dan Marino. 6. Roger Staubach. 7. Terry Bradshaw. 8. Bart Starr. 9. Tom Brady. 10. Joe Namath. And Manning has nothing on Kenny Stabler, Brett Favre or Sammy Baugh.

Or maybe Steve Young. Not sure I would rate Namath as a top 10.
awesome

Joe Cool
The only stat that really matters is 4-0. But more importantly, the feeling you had watching him comeback against Cincy. That right there defined him.

As much as I think Peyton is good, it didn't surprise me that he got a pick ran back on him on his supposed "comeback drive."
Originally posted by 190836:
We should email this stat to Colin Cowherd, cause he just called Montana the third best behind Brady and Manning. What a douche!

Cowherd was talking sports??? Most of the time hes just talkin s**t!!! His show sucks, and so does he!!!
You listed Warner as one of the 4 greatest SB QB's and not Bradshaw? Bradshaw who is 4-0 and Warner who is 1-2? Really?

Yeah, Warners stats are better than Bradshaws, except for the only one that matters. Wins.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Originally posted by GEEK:
You are missing one stat though:

Montana: 4-0
Aikman: 3-0
Brady: 3-1
Warner: 1-2

Not to mention 3 MVPs and 1 John Candy

not to mention the only player in the history of the world with 3 super bowl mvps
I really believe there is no argument with Joe being the best. Except if your a Manning or Brady fan, even then its a weak argument IMO! Joe will always be the best In my mind.
I just creamed my pants.
i like cowherd but this is one thing i disagree with him on
Originally posted by Winners:
You listed Warner as one of the 4 greatest SB QB's and not Bradshaw? Bradshaw who is 4-0 and Warner who is 1-2? Really?

Yeah, Warners stats are better than Bradshaws, except for the only one that matters. Wins.

Did I even put wins as one of the stats , i don't remember. Maybe I should have mentioned any QB in superbowl history to be 100% in the superbowl whether it be 1-0, 2-0, 3-0, 4-0, that would be kind of misleading considering bradshaw's stats aren't really that good. he threw 4 interceptions in 4 superbowls and was averaging under thirteen completed passes a game and yet averaging over 230 yards a game. he was averaging over 19 yards per attempt. yes that sounds good and all but you kind have to lean toward the idea that he had fantastic recievers.

Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Not all the greats played in super bowls!

Bruce Jenkins (Chron) sees it this way, I kinda agree

1. Joe Montana. 2. Johnny Unitas. 3. Otto Graham. 4. John Elway. 5. Dan Marino. 6. Roger Staubach. 7. Terry Bradshaw. 8. Bart Starr. 9. Tom Brady. 10. Joe Namath. And Manning has nothing on Kenny Stabler, Brett Favre or Sammy Baugh.

Of the modern era (which I sort of define as beginning with Bill Walsh and the evolution of the passing game), I'd say the list of greatest QBs goes something like this:

1. Montana

2 regular season MVPs; 3 SB MVPs; 4-0 in SB; no picks in SB; played in 4 other conference championship games; beat two HOFers in Superbowls (Elway/Marino); won 2 SBs with a hall of fame QB on the bench and pushing for time (Young); won 2 SBs after breaking his back; QB for the most recognized play in NFL history (the Catch); QB for the 1st game winning, 4th quarter drive in SB history.

2. Elway

2 regular season MVPs; 1 SB MVP; 2-3 in SB; only QB to start in 5 SBs. Elway was Manning before Manning - the best player on a team that wouldn't have gone .500 without him. However, getting destroyed by Montana in the SB and losing 3 altogether means, for me, he's not the guy that you pick if you had to win one game. That would be Joe.

3. Favre

3 regular season MVPs; 1-1 in SB; holds all of the regular season passing records; will likely hold all of the postseason passing records if he plays again next year. His durability, the numbers, and the fact that Brady's career is forever linked to a place kicker put Favre ahead of Brady just barely.

4. Brady

1 regular season MVP; 1 SB MVP; 3-1 in SB; single greatest statistical season in NFL history. He is not ahead of Favre or Elway because: (1) Vinatieri; (2) the tuck rule; (3) choked - yes choked - in the SB in pursuit of a perfect season.

5. Aikman

3-0 in SBs; 1 SB MVP; most accurate passer in post season history. Not ahead of Brady or Favre because (1) Emmitt Smith; (2) best offensive line of his era; (3) modest statistics during regular season; (4) probably the best "game manager" of all time - not known for heroics.

6. Manning

4 regular season MVPs; 1 SB MVP; 1-1 in SBs; will likely hold every regular season record (except INTs). Why he's "only" sixth - he's .500 in the playoffs; his SB win came against Rex Grossman; he may not be the best QB of his era (see Brady); bottom line - if you're paying someone $15 mil. a year and everyone thinks he's the best QB in the game, I think you'd expect more than one Lombardi trophy after 11 years. He's 32 ... by that age Joe had won his 4th.

7. Young

2 regular season MVPs; 1 SB MVP; 1-0 in SB; 6 passing titles; only HOF to succeed a HOF. What knocks Young is that he "only" won one SB. He was a great, great player but I look back on the teams we had from 1991 through 1997 and Young's team lost to Aikman's teams and Favre's teams more times than they won. And we were loaded in those years.

8. Marino

Uh ... you sort of need to win a big game to jump past the rest of these guys. Though the fact that he beat the '85 Bears, and quite handily, was pretty damn impressive.
Share 49ersWebzone