There are 213 users in the forums

Does P.Willis have to win a superbowl

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Defensive players only really need 1 Superbowl win to be considered the best at their positions, but a player like a QB needs multiple Superbowl's... Which is why Manning with a 9-9 playoff record and 1-1 now in Superbowl's will have a very hard time ever be considered the greatest QB of all time while if he had won the game people would start talking about him as the best QB of all time.
I would say yes if he was a QB or HB but if he leads a top defense and gets better and stays healthy he will be remembered as one of the best ever.
he will win a superbowl as a niner! book it!
Yes he needs a superbowl. Hopefully management will get it for him and he'll go down as the best MLB ever, and one of the best defensive 49ers ever.
  • Mex49
Originally posted by Jcool:
Defensive players only really need 1 Superbowl win to be considered the best at their positions, but a player like a QB needs multiple Superbowl's... Which is why Manning with a 9-9 playoff record and 1-1 now in Superbowl's will have a very hard time ever be considered the greatest QB of all time while if he had won the game people would start talking about him as the best QB of all time.

I coudnt believe all of the pregame nut loving for this guy. I couldn't believe they talking heads were so ready to crown him one of the greats. He can't even touch Montana's jock.

Please!
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Unfortunately, Patrick is beginning on the same path as Frank Gore, as a spectacular player on a perennial losing team. It's now been 3 years, and he has yet to make the playoffs or even experience a winning record. Ray Lewis was the cornerstone of one of the most successful defenses of all time, and one that survived many coaching and personnel changes, yet maintained itself very well.

If the niners don't start winning soon and fielding a dominating defense around Willis to really bring out what he can do as a player, he will be a forgotten player from a forgettable team.

Although, in the first 3 years of Ray Lewis' career, the Ravens went 4-12, 6-9-1 and 6-10. In his 4th year, they went 8-8 and then broke through in his 5th year when they won the SB in 2000. Of course, since then, they have missed the playoffs 4 times, lost in the wild card or divisional round 4 times and lost in the AFC Championship once.

So, in general, Willis' career is paralleling Lewis' career fairly well to date, though he will need the 49ers to start winning and, at least, being a playoff contender to be considered for DPOY and similar honors that Lewis has received.
He needs at least 3 confirmed kills to surpass Ray Lewis.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:

• BobS
  • Veteran
The only players judged by Super Bowl victories are quarterbacks.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

But on the serious side, Ray Lewis could have been a 49er if we didn't have that JJ Stokes lovefest. Since we traded the pick to then Cleveland that was used to draft RLEWIS. Willis has a way to go before you can compare him to the ultimate bully (ask Eddie George) and the best defensive team leader (ask his teamates) of his time. Oh did I mention he could flat out play?

Now to Willis' credit, he can do things that ILB that were not FS in college (B Urlacher) can't do such as run down RB's & WR's from behind. Not to bad mouth our team but just would-if Willis was playing MLB in the Vikings 4-3 behind the Williams boys?

He would already be the best to ever!
[ Edited by glorydayz on Feb 9, 2010 at 3:33 PM ]

I probably hold the most unpoplar view on this. That is, Ray Lewis is far anway a better football player that Patrick Willis. Sure they may be pretty close to equal in physical attributes and stats, but there isn't a stat book big enough to carry the value Ray brings to his teammates in terms of leadership, inspiration and accountablility. Willis can't even wear the green dot helment let alone call the defense based on what he sees on offense.

Willis is a physically gifted player, but IMO he couldn't hold a candle to Lewis on his best day. Lewis has the "it" factor we usually talk about with QBs. Even if Willis continued to play at his currentl level the next 10 years I would still draft Ray Ray. I would probably even draft Sing over Willis.

And please dont give me that quiet leader crap. No war was ever won by a quiet leader. Haven't you all seen Brave Heart....

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 9, 2010 at 4:07 PM ]
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
He needs at least 3

Now to Willis' credit, he can do things that ILB that were not FS in college (B Urlacher) can't do such as run down RB's & WR's from behind. Not to bad mouth our team but just would-if Willis was playing MLB in the Vikings 4-3 behind the Williams boys?

He would already be the best to ever!

[/quote

What if? I would tell you he wouldn't have nearly as many tackles thats for sure.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 9, 2010 at 4:08 PM ]
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
I believe so.

Ray Lewis was a HUGE part of the reason the Ravens won the SB, I mean Dilfer was their QB so it's not like they had an offensive juggernaut team. Lewis was the leader of that D and played the biggest part of that team.

Unless of course Willis just completely dominates his whole career at a much better level than Lewis did then I don't think he does.

i think its very possible for Willis to lead the NFL in tackles for the next 10 years.

and his ability to get to the ball carrier is unprecedented.

i dont think winning super bowls is a criteria for being the greatest ever unless you were a QB or a coach. the rest of the positions are mainly stat and consistency based.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
He will win more SB's than Lewis. If he keeps going like he is, he will be the greatest MLB that ever played, bar none.

once he leaves the 49ers
Originally posted by WestCoast:
....to surpass R.Lews?

assuming of course that Willis plays at his consistent pro bowl level for the next 10-12 years..

no
Share 49ersWebzone