LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

No Shotgun Offense Please: Colts a perfect reason why.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
also, frank gore>Joseph addia
I agree with you because I watch a lot of their games as well and I agree that their offense basically out executes the opponent. I think the Saints just outplayed and outcoached the Colts. I think if not for the dropped pass by Garcon and the onside kick the Colts would have won the championship. If they go up 17 - 6 they're not driving to catch up all the time. It was the Saints time...

Originally posted by mrgneissguy:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Look at all of the stats. The Colts defense played very well. The Saints offense couldn't even run the ball yet they still effectively used playaction passes.

The Colts offense failed because it was predictable and the inevitable happened when a team is predictable when passing: INT.

Were you watching the same game I was? Again, I'm in Indiana and see every game of theirs. The Colts defense was a shell of what it had been all season. With a couple of exceptions early in the game, Freeney and Mathis were unable to put any pressure on Brees. The linebackers and corners have been great at tackling all season long, some of the best I've seen in the NFL for a long time. Saints backs and receivers were consistently breaking multiple tackles in the same play. There were several occasions where there was confusion on the coverages, leaving receivers wide open, with no defender within 10 yards.

Sure the Saints didn't get a lot of rushing yards, but compared to the rest of the season, the Colts defense did not play well at all.

And the Colts offense has always been predictable. They actually have a very simple offense (the complexity comes in calling the plays at the line of scrimmage and everyone being on the same page). They do not rely on a lot of complicated stuff, they simply line up and try to execute the play to perfection. The problem in the Super Bowl was not their predictability, they are always predictable. It was in the execution. Wayne looked like he stuttered a bit before making the cut. If he went straight into the cut like he normally would, his body would have been between the ball and the defender, no pick 6. Garcon dropped a key 3rd down conversion pass. Wayne had a couple of drops, including one at the goal line.

I understand your interpretation, as that could definitely be something someone who doesn't see the Colts a lot would see. But as someone that sees the Colts A LOT, the problem was not predictability. They always line up and say, "Yep, this is the same play we run in this situation 75% of the time. try to stop it." And usually they are so precise that defenses cannot stop it, even when they know it is coming. Sunday night, they were not precise. It was execution, the Saints simply outplayed the Colts.
we don't have a choice Joe Cool. Alex only barely passes as an NFL QB in the Shotgun.
Originally posted by Archie:
I agree with you because I watch a lot of their games as well and I agree that their offense basically out executes the opponent. I think the Saints just outplayed and outcoached the Colts. I think if not for the dropped pass by Garcon and the onside kick the Colts would have won the championship. If they go up 17 - 6 they're not driving to catch up all the time. It was the Saints time...

Look at all of the stats. The Colts defense played very well. The Saints offense couldn't even run the ball yet they still effectively used playaction passes.

The Colts offense failed because it was predictable and the inevitable happened when a team is predictable when passing: INT.

Were you watching the same game I was? Again, I'm in Indiana and see every game of theirs. The Colts defense was a shell of what it had been all season. With a couple of exceptions early in the game, Freeney and Mathis were unable to put any pressure on Brees. The linebackers and corners have been great at tackling all season long, some of the best I've seen in the NFL for a long time. Saints backs and receivers were consistently breaking multiple tackles in the same play. There were several occasions where there was confusion on the coverages, leaving receivers wide open, with no defender within 10 yards.

Sure the Saints didn't get a lot of rushing yards, but compared to the rest of the season, the Colts defense did not play well at all.

And the Colts offense has always been predictable. They actually have a very simple offense (the complexity comes in calling the plays at the line of scrimmage and everyone being on the same page). They do not rely on a lot of complicated stuff, they simply line up and try to execute the play to perfection. The problem in the Super Bowl was not their predictability, they are always predictable. It was in the execution. Wayne looked like he stuttered a bit before making the cut. If he went straight into the cut like he normally would, his body would have been between the ball and the defender, no pick 6. Garcon dropped a key 3rd down conversion pass. Wayne had a couple of drops, including one at the goal line.

I understand your interpretation, as that could definitely be something someone who doesn't see the Colts a lot would see. But as someone that sees the Colts A LOT, the problem was not predictability. They always line up and say, "Yep, this is the same play we run in this situation 75% of the time. try to stop it." And usually they are so precise that defenses cannot stop it, even when they know it is coming. Sunday night, they were not precise. It was execution, the Saints simply outplayed the Colts.

I thought the Colts offense had a bunch of option type of routes according to what the defense shows? That's getting into Martz type of offense, which is very complicated.
I like the Colts as my second favorite team and I see them on the Ticket alot and basically they just run the same plays over and over but Manning is just so accurate and he figures out defenses with ease but the Saints got one more possession than the Colts did and I think coach Caldwell,as much as I like him, got outcoached but had they won I wouldn't be talking about the onside kick,dropped pass, or the missed field goal. Also we forget that the Colts had an illegal procedure penalty that pushed them back on that drive. Everybody is a monday-morning quarterback now but that team won 16 games.
Originally posted by Archie:

I thought the Colts offense had a bunch of option type of routes according to what the defense shows? That's getting into Martz type of offense, which is very complicated.
Originally posted by danimal:
we don't have a choice Joe Cool. Alex only barely passes as an NFL QB in the Shotgun.

I wonder how many of your 3973 posts are hating on alex smith? 65%? 70?
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by danimal:

I wonder how many of your 3973 posts are hating on alex smith? 65%? 70?

Probably. The other 30% is hating on the Lakers.
Top 2 reason's colts lost.
1. Their defense showed it's yellow belly and thus New Orleans kept the ball away from peyton for almost the entire 2nd quarter and the onside kick gave them a good chunk of the 3rd quarter too.
2. The offense couldn't get any kind of rhythm or feel for the game due to reason #1
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
Top 2 reason's colts lost.
1. Their defense showed it's yellow belly and thus New Orleans kept the ball away from peyton for almost the entire 2nd quarter and the onside kick gave them a good chunk of the 3rd quarter too.
2. The offense couldn't get any kind of rhythm or feel for the game due to reason #1

How about reason #0: They got outcoached. Almost every stat favors the Colts offense over the Saints offense and the Colts defense over the Saints Defense.
Saints were not about to give up anything big in the passing game and the Colts played right into that and adjusted, sort of.

The Colts began running the ball easily getting 5 yard chunks. Did this help them open up their offense? Absolutely not. When they went back to the pass, they were right back where they started: dump-offs here and there with no ability to get anything open deep or yards after the catch.

Why did this happen? I mean, they were able to run the ball well. It happened because when they ran the ball, it was in Shotgun against nickel or dime. When they passed the ball, it was still against nickel or dime. Running the ball out of Shotgun had no affect on the defensive strategy. The Playaction played no part in these runs.

If they began to snap from under Center and ran the ball, it would have opened up the affect of what the importance of running the ball actually is used for, which is PLAYACTION. None of those runs set up any type of playaction to help the Colts free up something deep or a breakdown in coverage for open holes after the catch.

So please, let's not resort to being a Shotgun team.

Tell us the last power run team that won it all, even the giants ran the spread

Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Yes, let's not be like a team that could've gone undefeated if they wanted to, and made it all the way to the Super Bowl.

damn, buttraped on the first response
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Yes, let's not be like a team that could've gone undefeated if they wanted to, and made it all the way to the Super Bowl.

Ouch.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

Ouch.
Saints were not about to give up anything big in the passing game and the Colts played right into that and adjusted, sort of.

The Colts began running the ball easily getting 5 yard chunks. Did this help them open up their offense? Absolutely not. When they went back to the pass, they were right back where they started: dump-offs here and there with no ability to get anything open deep or yards after the catch.

Why did this happen? I mean, they were able to run the ball well. It happened because when they ran the ball, it was in Shotgun against nickel or dime. When they passed the ball, it was still against nickel or dime. Running the ball out of Shotgun had no affect on the defensive strategy. The Playaction played no part in these runs.

If they began to snap from under Center and ran the ball, it would have opened up the affect of what the importance of running the ball actually is used for, which is PLAYACTION. None of those runs set up any type of playaction to help the Colts free up something deep or a breakdown in coverage for open holes after the catch.

So please, let's not resort to being a Shotgun team.

This viewpoint is simplistic imo.

If you line up in shotgun and continue to run that ball down the throat of your opponent, eventually they will adjust. IMO the Colts simply didn't stick to the run long enough. Caldwell should have reined Peyton in and forced him to run more often in that game.
Please will people shut up about the Shotgun?!!!

Typically Manning is a freakin machine and is successful in the gun or not.

It's hard to stop him.

This is a really STUPID argument Joe.

The Saints Defense is alot tougher than you give them credit for. That second half was a Saints home game there were so many fans cheering when their Defense got on the field.

How can ANYONE compete with that in a game that is sposed to be a mixed bag of fans?

Oh yeah and why did the Colts lose? Cause they chose to play it safe to end the first half. Instead of using the clock and building off their final 2 runs of the half they chose to run it yet AGAIN and punt the ball away.

Their Offense was not the same for the rest of the game. It told their team that their HC was afraid to take a chance. He went for it on 4th and long earlier but wouldn't at that point or even take a shot down the field.

So please don't point at the Shotgun for the Colts demise. They played a balanced Offensive game and lost. Simple as that.

~Ceadder
Share 49ersWebzone