There are 213 users in the forums

Steve Young wants to help Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by 190836:
Not going to happen. Yorks hate everything (ie:west coast offense) and anyone that is connected to the Walsh and Debartolo era. You think they don't know, that Rice and Young live just a few minutes away from 49ers HQs? They could have asked for their help along time ago!

You talk like it's a fact, when it's just your opinion. You're not wearing their shoes so you will never know.

But speculation and conjecture are so much fun.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Not going to happen. Yorks hate everything (ie:west coast offense) and anyone that is connected to the Walsh and Debartolo era. You think they don't know, that Rice and Young live just a few minutes away from 49ers HQs? They could have asked for their help along time ago!

You talk like it's a fact, when it's just your opinion. You're not wearing their shoes so you will never know.

I guess so.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

I guess so.

come on man its easy, everyones doing it. here try somthing simple. Alex Smith is a BUM!!
this organization would be stupid enough to not hire young and rice to help this team
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
this organization would be stupid enough to not hire young and rice to help this team

At the very least, as a consultant.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
A conversation between Young and Smith could certainly help Alex from a mental standpoint, but Mike Johnson has done a good job at establishing a rapport and coaching relationship with him.

Wisdom is one thing, but when you have multiple people telling you different things on what you need to do as a QB, it'll f**k with your head. Right now, Alex needs consistency. Consistency in the offensive scheme, coaching staff, teammates, and leadership of the 49ers. Raye and Johnson should be the main channels for Smith.
Seeing todays' game, Drew Brees is the best pump faker I've seen in a long time.

If Smith could be that fast in his two step drops, fakes, and even energy ala Brees, he'd be badass.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Seeing todays' game, Drew Brees is the best pump faker I've seen in a long time.

If Smith could be that fast in his two step drops, fakes, and even energy ala Brees, he'd be badass.

This is why I like Young better than Montana.
rice worked with jackson before philly drafted him. seems to me he gave jackson some real good pointers to go along with his talent.

Originally posted by smashmouth51:
rice worked with jackson before philly drafted him. seems to me he gave jackson some real good pointers to go along with his talent.

He forgot to teach the kid class, that and to not throw the ball away until after you cross the goal line.
I don't think Young should coach Alex on his technique, but more on his attitude, Alex Smith is a f**king p***y when it comes to leadership and he lets his o-linemen trip all over him.

I'm tired of this shy/cutsie stuff, I wanna see Alex Smith yelling in the middle of the huddle before each game, riling the troops up for battle! CAUSE YOU KNOW IT'S REALLY BULLSHT WHEN YOUR QB ISN'T THE CAPTAIN OF YOUR OFFENSE!
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I don't think Young should coach Alex on his technique, but more on his attitude, Alex Smith is a f**king p***y when it comes to leadership and he lets his o-linemen trip all over him.

I'm tired of this shy/cutsie stuff, I wanna see Alex Smith yelling in the middle of the huddle before each game, riling the troops up for battle! CAUSE YOU KNOW IT'S REALLY BULLSHT WHEN YOUR QB ISN'T THE CAPTAIN OF YOUR OFFENSE!

Boy, you probably hated Joe Montana. That guy never yelled and was really quite.

There are different types of leadership. I can give you a long list of great players who weren't yellers with Montana at the top of it.
Originally posted by taney71:
I wish we never went away from the West Coast offense but changed back to it would be dumb. The 9ers are a digit pass team now. Let's work with that offensive system and stop changing things around. The year-to-year changes in personell, coaches, and schemems needs to stop. Winners dont' have that much turnover.

Absolutely correct: no productive organization could run most effectively with constant turnover. We should stick with the business gameplan we have and find/train the staff to fit the system.
I hate to say it, but I think our players are too mistake-prone to run the WCO even if it were an option. Smith is smart enough to pick it up, but then again, we would be changing schemes on him all over again. The other players commit some of the dumbest mistakes that I have seen. Not to say they cant learn from them, but I think if we want to win now, the digit system is the best option.
Share 49ersWebzone