LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 138 users in the forums

Steve Young wants to help Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Excellent!

"I'm glad you asked that," said Young, reached by phone at the Super Bowl in Miami, where he is working as an analyst for ESPN. "Now that it's on my mind, I'm going to give Alex a call when I get home. I'd be glad to help him in the future. I'm so busy with kids and family, but there is no reason for us not to get together. We're friends. I haven't spoken to him since before the season, but there's no reason not to talk to him and help him any way I can."

However, Young said he is limited in how much he can assist Smith. Because the 49ers no longer run the West Coast offense, he would be unable to offer insight into all the aspects of the 49ers' current system.

One the WCO:
"The problem is I haven't spoken his language," Young said. "I can teach him some quarterback things, but that's my frustration. I can't teach him the things like scheme, routes and reads - all that kind of stuff."

Wait, didn't Alex play in the WCO with McCarthy in 2005 and with the Hos in 2007 who mixed in both WCO and digit? Also, didn't Alex say that he still knows the WCO?

Would love for this to happen!

Way to go Steve!
This is why when McCarthy left we should've just stuck with the WCO. It's better to have a system than rely on your OC for everything. Regardless, I think Steve can help Smith a lot with stuff but it would've been great if he could helped him with learning the system. Glad to hear that Steve wants to help. We really need to let some of these guys like Young and Rice who want to help come back and help coach up our guys. Sure, it's not like they're position coaches or anything, but when you're a HOF player at a position for 10-20 years then you probably were doing a few things right...
I wish we never went away from the West Coast offense but changed back to it would be dumb. The 9ers are a digit pass team now. Let's work with that offensive system and stop changing things around. The year-to-year changes in personell, coaches, and schemems needs to stop. Winners dont' have that much turnover.
*Ending 'zinger' theme to Matlock plays*

*CUE MATLOCK CREDITS*
Young and Rice back with the 49ers? *drools*
I would love to see Young and Jerry take Alex and Crabtree and have personal workouts before the start of OTA's. That would do wonders for our offense. LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!
  • Veteran
Not going to happen. Yorks hate everything(ie:west coast offense) and anyone that is connected to the Walsh and Debartolo era. You think they don't know, that Rice and Young live just a few minutes away from 49ers HQs? They could have asked for their help along time ago!
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
I would love to see Young and Jerry take Alex and Crabtree and have personal workouts before the start of OTA's. That would do wonders for our offense. LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!

Sorry guys, but there's no recapturing the glory days. They ain't coming back, at least not in the same form. Only way is to evolve, go forward, and hope lightning strikes twice.

Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:

• Esco
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
*Ending 'zinger' theme to Matlock plays*

*CUE MATLOCK CREDITS*

Originally posted by 190836:
Not going to happen. Yorks hate everything(ie:west coast offense) and anyone that is connected to the Walsh and Debartolo era. You think they don't know, that Rice and Young live just a few minutes away from 49ers HQs? They could have asked for their help along time ago!

Why do you have to be so negative? Steve Young could work with Alex privately on their own time. I really don't think Alex would turn down the opportunity to work with a HOFer and pick his brain.
  • flow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 190836:
Not going to happen. Yorks hate everything (ie:west coast offense) and anyone that is connected to the Walsh and Debartolo era. You think they don't know, that Rice and Young live just a few minutes away from 49ers HQs? They could have asked for their help along time ago!

You talk like it's a fact, when it's just your opinion. You're not wearing their shoes so you will never know.

Share 49ersWebzone