There are 132 users in the forums

Come on Joe

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't have a problem with Joe wanting to stay out of the limelight and do the family thing. I wish he was out and about more, on TV, doing some pub for the team, but I don't think less of him for not doing it.
Perhaps it's because I became a Niner fan at the conclusion of Joe's days with the organization but I truly never liked the guy's personality. Although some point to shyness, I feel it comes off as being smug. The guy is never around for anything. I understand the game is behind him and he's a "Family man" now (cue the Daryl Hall tune) but he shows no respect toward the organization. I always perceive him to be standoffish and bitter.

Again, I don't share the lovefest that most have for him because I wasn't alive to appreciate it but regardless of that, he needs to show some class and give back to a team that gave him all he needed to become the legend he is.

Signed,

A Steve Young fan
I think we'd all like to see him more involved with the organization, mainly due to the great memories many of us have with him as our QB. But he does have every right to retire in peace, and I can't blame him for making family his priority. If anything, I admire him even more for that.

I think sometimes we assume too much that he's not visible because of the way he left, or because of the current ownership, etc. I'm sure it no-doubt plays somewhat into things, but all in all I believe he's just got different priorities at this point in his life.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Joe owes this organization nothing. He brought us 4 SB's. He's done more than enough. I respect his privacy as should all of us.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
As much as I wanna see Joe again, it's his choice & I'll respect it. He has done more than enough for us.
Originally posted by Niners99:
itd be nice if Montana was a bit more 49er oriented and involved. guys like Young, Rice, Dwight Clark, Ronnie Lott, etc still do things to represent the team, still act like they care about the franchise.

when you have your name and number on the wall and retired, you have some sort of obligation imo to at least show up to an organizational event every year or 2, just to give back to the fans that still love you.

Joe has every right to do his own thing now, but ive always got the feeling like hes still bitter at us for picking Young over him and letting him go. he doesnt really show up to anything 49ers related, he states all the time how hes a Steelers fan, etc.

you cant ask anything more of him after 4 super bowls, but maybe the co-franchise best all time player should be seen representing just a little bit every so often.

That's pretty much how I feel, too.

Joe Montana has improved his strength and posture.

-9fA
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Originally posted by Niners99:
itd be nice if Montana was a bit more 49er oriented and involved. guys like Young, Rice, Dwight Clark, Ronnie Lott, etc still do things to represent the team, still act like they care about the franchise.

when you have your name and number on the wall and retired, you have some sort of obligation imo to at least show up to an organizational event every year or 2, just to give back to the fans that still love you.

Joe has every right to do his own thing now, but ive always got the feeling like hes still bitter at us for picking Young over him and letting him go. he doesnt really show up to anything 49ers related, he states all the time how hes a Steelers fan, etc.

you cant ask anything more of him after 4 super bowls, but maybe the co-franchise best all time player should be seen representing just a little bit every so often.

That's pretty much how I feel, too.

He's definitely bitter, but he owes this organization zip. It would be cool for him to be a bigger part of the team but it's his choice and I'll respect him for it.

Joe will always be a Niner.
It's the organization. Yorks threw Bill Walsh out of the building, and were determined to do it their own way with Erickson, Nolan, etc. You don't see Rice or Craig or many of the other superbowl players much either, except when there's a special ceremony. Eddie D is giving Rice's induction speech, not anyone currently involved. They ignored Rice when he urged them to draft DeSean Jackson; Rice, Young, Montana -- none are invited to work with or even meet with the receivers or QB's.

Denise and John are not warm and fuzzy folks. Joe, the other players and us fans all relate to Eddie D and not the Yorks.

Jed hasn't shown anyone anything -- "Don't tell me, show me" turned out to be only talk. There is no more real music or even frisbee dogs at halftime -- just high school bands, peewee football and other entertainment free to the organization. Eddie D would have had a first-class stadium a long time ago. Yorks are so concerned with getting OPM (Other People's Money) that it will cost them way more in the long run because the tab has increased so much.

It's not just Joe -- it's the ownership!!
Originally posted by RonMexico:
He doesn't need to be here or have anything to do with the organization

thanks for the great games and superbowls Joe

Agree He doesnt owe nothing, he was the greatest QB ever because of his play not for being in the spotlight

True. But I think the point of the thread was the poster wishes that Joe did more -- and was a little more public-oriented.

I think that's a wish we all have. But --you're right. He doesn't need to be here. He earned the love and adoration eons ago.
Joe Montana is the only guy I still respect. I don't want to see these guys ever again once their gridiron days are done.
Originally posted by billbird2111:

True. But I think the point of the thread was the poster wishes that Joe did more -- and was a little more public-oriented.

I think that's a wish we all have. But --you're right. He doesn't need to be here. He earned the love and adoration eons ago.

I noticed he found time to make a little cash by doing a super bowl commercial the other day.

Anyway its not so much that I want to see him do more and be more public oriented....and if he has beef against the organization then thats fine as well. As a fan, I would like to see him publicly show respect at the biggest moments for the guys that I feel made him. In the last 15 years approximately, there are only 3 times that I wish I would have seen him

The day they retired Jerrys #80. I overpaid for tickets on the niners sideline as well as hotel and food for the weekend, and drove a total of about 10 hrs that day...not to see the niners play the seahawks (or whoever it was).

The day they dedicated the field as Bill Walsh field and drove Bill out in that convertible. Everyone was there....besides Joe. Knowing Bill was about to pass away and would certainly be his last time stepping on that field, he didnt show. That is the one that bothered me the most.

Finally....I think his last shot for me will be Jerrys induction later this year. There's no other big event in the future that I can see me really giving a $hit if he shows up to or not, but if he doesn't show for that, say what you will, I dont wear that #16 Jersey again.

Come on Joe
  • Mex49
Watch how you talk about the King
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

Joe Montana has improved his strength and posture.

-9fA

LOL That shizz is funny!
Share 49ersWebzone