LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 371 users in the forums

Jerry Rice: Please Come Back Home!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by IDontGetNaked:
I WILL TAKE OFF MY PANTS!

Pants on the Ground, Pants on the ground.
Originally posted by AllForTheNiners:
I don't know if he would come back as a WR coach exactly, he'd probably just work with some of the players on an unofficial basis, like the last player he happened to tutor for a while...

DO IT!
I swear, why not bring Jerry in? 40% of our coaching staff is made up of assistant coaches that are practically getting their prominent starting gigs here, and Jerry was practically our damn WR coach while he was still on the active roster in the 90's! -Not to mention Jerry also seems very keen on evaluating WR talent (DeSean Jackson).
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Chico:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by GoNiners:
man Crabtree would dominate next year if Rice was his teacher

Would he really ?

Look I'd love for Rice to be involved with the organization in some way but I wouldn't go as far as start thinking he'll make players better. It's a 2 way street, he can share his knowledge with them but that knowledge does not translate to success. Knowledge is power.

I also would not go as far as to think he should replace any coaches on staff, he is inexperienced as a position coach and should start out as an assistant, likely to Jerry Sullivan.

Um, Jerry Rice... taking notes from Jerry Sullivan??? the man that can't teach our current receivers how to catch a ball? A pathetic excuse for a WR coach, having a HOF receiver underneath him??? um, ok

Yep. Why would we fire Sully for Rice ? Sully is a very respected and reputable coach in this league, and considered by some as the best WR coach around. Rice would not be taking notes so much as coaching alongside him.

Mike Ditka is a HOF'er and he started out as an assistant with the Cowboys under Tom Landry. Bryant Young started as a graduate assistant at ND, Henry Ellard & Ken Norton Jr both started by coaching at the HS level. Those are just a few examples. Every coach has to start somewhere and gain experience. So yes Jerry Rice would make an excellent addition if he was assistant WR's coach or something of the like.

Re: teaching our WR's how to catch, there is an old saying "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink". Digest that saying. Just because you think Sully is a poor coach doesn't make you right, and judging by the fact that every OC has kept him on staff, and considering Sing also kept him on staff after he took the HC'ing job has to tell you something, like maybe your assessment is dead wrong.
We should hire everybody from our 1980s team to be position coaches.

-9fA

So without Jerry he won't dominate?

Would he really ?

Look I'd love for Rice to be involved with the organization in some way but I wouldn't go as far as start thinking he'll make players better. It's a 2 way street, he can share his knowledge with them but that knowledge does not translate to success. Knowledge is power.

I also would not go as far as to think he should replace any coaches on staff, he is inexperienced as a position coach and should start out as an assistant, likely to Jerry Sullivan.

Um, Jerry Rice... taking notes from Jerry Sullivan??? the man that can't teach our current receivers how to catch a ball? A pathetic excuse for a WR coach, having a HOF receiver underneath him??? um, ok

Yep. Why would we fire Sully for Rice ? Sully is a very respected and reputable coach in this league, and considered by some as the best WR coach around. Rice would not be taking notes so much as coaching alongside him.

Mike Ditka is a HOF'er and he started out as an assistant with the Cowboys under Tom Landry. Bryant Young started as a graduate assistant at ND, Henry Ellard & Ken Norton Jr both started by coaching at the HS level. Those are just a few examples. Every coach has to start somewhere and gain experience. So yes Jerry Rice would make an excellent addition if he was assistant WR's coach or something of the like.

Re: teaching our WR's how to catch, there is an old saying "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink". Digest that saying. Just because you think Sully is a poor coach doesn't make you right, and judging by the fact that every OC has kept him on staff, and considering Sing also kept him on staff after he took the HC'ing job has to tell you something, like maybe your assessment is dead wrong.

Originally posted by Super5:

Would he really ?

Jerry Rice is the GREATEST WR TO EVER PLAY THE GAME. To think that he doesn't already know everything he needs to about coaching is ridiculous. He played the position at the highest level for 20 years! What could Sullivan teach the GOAT that he doesn't already know?

Obviously, best case scenario would be for Jerry to come in and work alongside Sullivan for a year. But, if we had to fire Sullivan right now to get Jerry, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Originally posted by Captain:

Would he really ?

Jerry Rice is the GREATEST WR TO EVER PLAY THE GAME. To think that he doesn't already know everything he needs to about coaching is ridiculous. He played the position at the highest level for 20 years! What could Sullivan teach the GOAT that he doesn't already know?

Obviously, best case scenario would be for Jerry to come in and work alongside Sullivan for a year. But, if we had to fire Sullivan right now to get Jerry, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

It comes too easily for the best. The ones who succeed at coaching were generally not the best. They were the ones who had to work at it.

Whilst it would be nice to see JR talking our guys through it, there is no evidence I have seen that he wants to become a coach

Would he really ?

But you "Can make the Horse Thirsty"...Rice would make a good advisor, and let him help Campaign fo the new stadium vote also.
Originally posted by English:

Would he really ?

It comes too easily for the best. The ones who succeed at coaching were generally not the best. They were the ones who had to work at it.

Whilst it would be nice to see JR talking our guys through it, there is no evidence I have seen that he wants to become a coach

You think it came easy for Jerry Rice? Come on now. That guy trained harder than anybody. He earned everything he got.

So without Jerry he won't dominate?

No, but he would Dominate much faster! If we don't hire rice for some WR coach roll, I'll be really upset!
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
Originally posted by English:

Would he really ?

You think it came easy for Jerry Rice? Come on now. That guy trained harder than anybody. He earned everything he got.

You mistake genius and application. JR had both. But the ability was naturally occuring. That's the point
Share 49ersWebzone