There are 162 users in the forums

Walt wants back in

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cools
  • Veteran
I think Scotty/Sing will bring him into camp

let him compete for a spot, probably against Hudson, K.Smith and a rookie for the
4th and 5th CB spots behind Nate, Spence and T.Brown

At worst he adds good vet leadership during camp

with the limited available CB free agents out there, I think someone over pays Bly.
I'd like to see him as a Niner though
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
he's better than 2 or 3 of the cb guys we have

Your an idiot.

Clements and Spencer are still solid & Brown is improving. You can criticize TB's tackling, but the guy makes plays in coverage.

I'm expecting a couple additions through the draft & possibly free agency. Look at how many cbs were brought in last year Reggie Smith was a corner in college, Eric Green, Dre Bly not to mention we looked at Paymah.

I like Walt but his time with 49ers has come to an end, we need to move forward and upgrade that position.
[ Edited by GMniner805 on Feb 6, 2010 at 11:37 AM ]
  • dald1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by jrg:
Question is, is he better then any of these guys..

Nate Clements
Dre Bly
Tarrell Brown
Shawntae Spencer

Before his injury I would put him at #3 behind Clements and Spencer. Coming off an ACL tear i dunno.

before his injury he was one of the starting db's did u really see spencer in front of ihm?
If a street guy like Keith Smith (who has not distinguished himself here) is going to have a chance to compete in camp for a roster spot, why would you not give Walt Harris that same chance? A savvy vet who has seen it all, like Walt, can make a pretty good nickel or dime back even if he has lost some of his speed, because he is quick to recognize what an opponent is trying to do. I'd start my speed guys like Tarell Brown and Spencer on the outside, where they will be running all day and their assignments are simpler. But so much of the time you'll be in nickel or dime and at those spots, there is a real premium for being in the right place at the right time.

Especially with the uncertainty whether Clements will return (he could refuse to renegotiate), it's all good if Walt and also Dre Bly could come back and compete for spots.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dald1:
Originally posted by jrg:
Question is, is he better then any of these guys..

Nate Clements
Dre Bly
Tarrell Brown
Shawntae Spencer

Before his injury I would put him at #3 behind Clements and Spencer. Coming off an ACL tear i dunno.

before his injury he was one of the starting db's did u really see spencer in front of ihm?

I would have preferred Spencer starting yeah. Walt is already up there in age. He would be most effective being the #3 CB and not playing every down.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GMniner805:

Your an idiot.

Clements and Spencer are still solid & Brown is improving. You can criticize TB's tackling, but the guy makes plays in coverage.

I'm expecting a couple additions through the draft & possibly free agency. Look at how many cbs were brought in last year Reggie Smith was a corner in college, Eric Green, Dre Bly not to mention we looked at Paymah.

I like Walt but his time with 49ers has come to an end, we need to move forward and upgrade that position.

I say yes for depth at the position. He should also know hes gonna be coming in as a dimeback.
  • 49erFaiTHFuLL
  • Info N/A
Any starter competition should be welcomed competition, and may the best man win...Period
Walts only shot would be as the 4th CB (without Bly) / 5th CB (with Bly)
or
as a FS (moving DG to his natura possitionl SS)

Your an idiot.

hey new guy

he was saying he is better than guys like keith smith, marcus hudson and possibly dre bly...

Nostradamus please tell me how you know this is an incorrect statement, until Walt got hurt he was our surefire #2 corner going into the pre-season last year...and has been nothing but solid as crap for us since he has been here..

Your an idiot.

I wouldn't be so fast to sing either Bly's or Tarrel Brown's praises...yes, both had some good moments last season, but they had just as many bad ones. When Nate went down, Singletary eventually replaced Brown w/Bly...who's still got some skills, but gambles too much. Tarrel showed he's not ready for prime time yet. The hope is he learned from that experience to improve his play. If Harris comes back 100% healthy, I wouldn't discount him. Virtually nobody expected Spencer to emerge as the #1 CB, but he did. Yes, Harris is considerably older, but he also has mad experience. I could see him being the dime...I think he could potentially be pretty effective in that role. Whatever happens to him, I hope Singletary drafts one of the top CB's...because in the NFL, you just can't have too many good ones.

Your an idiot.

the point is we need either Walt or Bly back
Originally posted by MaliCali:

Your an idiot.

hey new guy

he was saying he is better than guys like keith smith, marcus hudson and possibly dre bly...

Nostradamus please tell me how you know this is an incorrect statement, until Walt got hurt he was our surefire #2 corner going into the pre-season last year...and has been nothing but solid as crap for us since he has been here..

Hey old guy

It doesn't take Nostradamus to see that a 36 year old cb coming off season ending knee surgery will not be effective & most likely will be a liability in coverage.

We need to add speed & get younger in the secondary, bringing Walt back does neither.

It doesn't take Nostradamus to see that a 36 year old cb coming off season ending knee surgery will not be effective & most likely will be a liability in coverage.

actually..it sort of does.

please tell me your future knowing ways
Share 49ersWebzone