There are 212 users in the forums

Could Jed York be our Jim Irsay?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
Irsay has Bill Polian. Polian makes all the football decisions, including who to hire and fire, and not Irsay. He is more valuable to that franchise than Peyton Manning. He is the one that let's Marvin Harrison go and replaces him with Pierre Garcon. He is the biggest reason why the Colts get impact players in 6th and 7th round every offseason that replace starters. He is the reason they are perennial contenders. York Jr. has Scot Mcloughan and Parage Marathe in his front office. So I wouldn't hold my breathe.

While Polian is a great GM, his drafting of Collie and Garcon is not what made them great. He has probably the most cerebreal QB who also is a very good player and that makes all the difference. You could have the best drafting in the world, but without a great QB it is all for nothing.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Irsay has Bill Polian. Polian makes all the football decisions, including who to hire and fire, and not Irsay. He is more valuable to that franchise than Peyton Manning. He is the one that let's Marvin Harrison go and replaces him with Pierre Garcon. He is the biggest reason why the Colts get impact players in 6th and 7th round every offseason that replace starters. He is the reason they are perennial contenders. York Jr. has Scot Mcloughan and Parage Marathe in his front office. So I wouldn't hold my breathe.

While Polian is a great GM, his drafting of Collie and Garcon is not what made them great. He has probably the most cerebreal QB who also is a very good player and that makes all the difference. You could have the best drafting in the world, but without a great QB it is all for nothing.

So going by your argument, Hank Baskett and Samuel Giguerre should be playing at high levels as well. I mean Peyton Manning is their QB too. It's true a great QB makes WRs much better. But the receiver has to do his part as well. Rashaun Woods and Brandon Williams would have sucked in Indy too.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

So going by your argument, Hank Baskett and Samuel Giguerre should be playing at high levels as well. I mean Peyton Manning is their QB too. It's true a great QB makes WRs much better. But the receiver has to do his part as well. Rashaun Woods and Brandon Williams would have sucked in Indy too.

Yes your players like Anthony Gonzalez, Austin Collie and Pierre Garcon would having big years on any team . If Manning was any good Hank Baskett and Samuel Giguerre and every 3-4th string WR on the Colts would be getting 30-40 catches a season.
Yes. I really think we have something great brewing.
Jed is an idiot who knows nothing about football.
  • Veteran
He is a kid with lots and lots of money. He has created a college like fraternity in the management of the Forty Niners and we wonder why we lose year after year!!
Originally posted by 190836:
He is a kid with lots and lots of money. He has created a college like fraternity in the management of the Forty Niners and we wonder why we lose year after year!!
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Any team lucky enough to be the worst in the league the year Peyton Manning declares for the draft is going to have "genius" GM and outstanding owner.

If the colts win the superbowl, they theoretically could have been undeafeated. So arguably one on the best teams of all time has 1 hall of fame player? It's not like Polian has a roster full of perenial probowlers, he has Manning.

I still think Dungie made a mistake walking away from that team. I would have been "head coach" (ie guy who lets Manning run your team) until the day he retired. I'd then be overcome with the "stress of coaching" and retire to the broadcast booth as a lock for the Hall of Fame as a HC.
Polian was the GM of the Bills when they went to the super bowl 4 years in a row. He was the GM of the panthers and built them in 2-3 years, and then got hired by Indy, and look what he's done there. I don't think we can compare anyone in the 9ers organization to Polian. He is the king of drafting, and building teams and the 9ers are not in his class. We need someone as talented as him.
Originally posted by rivercity:
This from today's New York Times on the Colts owner:

"After Irsay took over the Colts from his father, Robert (who abused alcohol and made enemies with his temperament [and made a mess of the franchise--my note]), Jim's stewardship brought significant improvement. He sold more than $100 million in assets outside football, he said, to reinvest in a team that has won the most N.F.L. games in the last decade."

Could Jed be that guy? I guess he would need an All-Pro quarterback (tall, cerebral, gutsy) and a GM like Polian who can outthink the draft, finding players in the mid- and late-rounds. Do we have the pieces? There are some parallels if 3 key people can grow into their roles.

It's a great article, btw, talking about how Irsay still has his "flower-child" sensibility, how he bought the scroll that Kerouac wrote "On the Road" on, hangs out with Steven Stills and John Mellencamp and Patti Smith, how he was instrumental in blackballing Rush Limbaugh as a potential team owner, how he's led a messed-up team to the pinnacle of football.
link: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/04/sports/football/04irsay.html?ref=sports

Without Bill Polian and Tony Dungy you wouldn't even know who Jim Irsay is. by the way who is he!

Jed York has the blood of Eddie D flowing thru his veins and will take us back to greatness.

Or not.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jsaniner:
Jed York has the blood of Eddie D flowing thru his veins and will take us back to greatness.

Or not.

He also has his stupid dad's blood in his veins. unfortunately!
Originally posted by 190836:
Originally posted by jsaniner:

Or not.

He also has his stupid dad's blood in his veins. unfortunately!
I like the positive thinking. The only thing that scares me is our GM!! Scotty is a fluke!
Jed may be a kid but he has been around the game and the 49er organization a long time. He talks on a regular basis to Eddie for advice, not a bad mentor to have.

The most important thing is you can see Jed wants to win and stop being the embarrassment that the 49ers had become. Will he make mistakes, yea his uncle did to yet my belief is he will get it right. Even in the brief time he has been back he has done some things to show he want to get the organization back to first class standing such as expanding the training facility specifically the weight room and players areas changing the uniforms and being focused and using his uncle to get a stadium project moving forward.
Share 49ersWebzone