LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 363 users in the forums

London suggestions - Travel / Accom / Food / Beer etc

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Crazy4Niners:
Is Newcastle popular in the UK? I seriously love this stuff:

grosssssssssss beer but yer youl get it in any pub
Originally posted by Chief:
I'm taking the train and ferry to Amsterdam after the game, the back packing from there.

hmmm youl be cheaper geting a flight dirt cheap flights to amsterdam due to lower airport taxes there
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
I'm going to try and go to either Spain or Italy, what is your experience or advice for airlines like Ryan Air. I've heard some horror stories about these airlines but they are extremely cheap and i'm on a budget.

EasyJet is a better option than Rhino IMO. Also, if you book in advance the full fares airline (BA and BMi can be just as good and loads better.

Other options are flyBe, a regional low-ish cost airline operating, in the south east, mainly out of Gatwick.

Rhino operate mainly out of Stansted, easyJet out of Luton, Gatwick and Stansted. Try to avoid Heathrow except for the main flight. It is not a place to get bargain flights from.

London accomodation is expensive and not all that good. Food is very variable but hugely cosmopolitan.

I will post a few suggestions on beer and curry houses nearer the time.

Regarding things to see and places to go, use wiki for whatever turns you on. Whatever it is, London probably has it. I hate the place

Why do you hate it?

Way too many people. Transport infrastructure massively overstretched. Crowds, everywhere. The usual big city problems of poor, impersonal service, pressure, all the rest of it.

Amazing things to see. But there are just so many people everywhere

I think it's an absolutely awesome city to visit. I have no idea how it would be to live there. Living some place is much different than visiting.

Where do you live in U.K.? And what do you like about that place? BTW how far of a train ride are you from London?

I live 10 miles away from Gatwick Airport. It's about a 30 minute train ride from London.

What to I like about it? I can have all of London if I want, and then go home. It is quiet and peaceful and near Gatwick, which is important for my job. It is very green, to one side of us it is very rural, to the other there is a typical English county town.

That having been said, I am considering in the future moving away from the South East. It is tending to overheat and the services are struggling. And I like peace and quiet.

I like a lot of things about London.

~ It's big and cosmopolitan.
~ It's cutting edge.
~ Great shopping.
~ Excellent restaurants with all the ethnic foods.
~ A very diverse city.
~ An excellent transportation system.
~ Some beautiful architecture. Churches and government buildings to see.
~ Some historical areas.
~ Some good pubs and great night clubs as well.

It's just a fun festive cosmopolitan city. There is a lot to do and see and you are never bored.

The only downside I can see are these.

~ It rains way too much and can be very cold and windy also.
~ It's crowded.
~ It's very, very expensive. One of the most expensive places in Europe.
~ The taxes are high.
~ There may be some crime on certain areas. But doesn't every big city have that?

Overall I like the place. Just not the weather. Being from Southern California I'm used to sunshine and warm weather. It's what I prefer.

you want festive go to edinburgh sry but nothing i like bout london but youl find its colder and wetter in scotland but less trafic and less smog and i think edinburgh got far more going for it than london
Originally posted by alburns:
Originally posted by London9er:
I'm going to try and go to either Spain or Italy, what is your experience or advice for airlines like Ryan Air. I've heard some horror stories about these airlines but they are extremely cheap and i'm on a budget.

EasyJet is a better option than Rhino IMO. Also, if you book in advance the full fares airline (BA and BMi can be just as good and loads better.

Other options are flyBe, a regional low-ish cost airline operating, in the south east, mainly out of Gatwick.

Rhino operate mainly out of Stansted, easyJet out of Luton, Gatwick and Stansted. Try to avoid Heathrow except for the main flight. It is not a place to get bargain flights from.

London accomodation is expensive and not all that good. Food is very variable but hugely cosmopolitan.

I will post a few suggestions on beer and curry houses nearer the time.

Regarding things to see and places to go, use wiki for whatever turns you on. Whatever it is, London probably has it. I hate the place

I agree with the comments on airlines here. Ryanair awful, Easyjet generally pretty good in my experience. Also worth checking are Aer Lingus and CityJet.

This is a good comparison tool for the low costs: http://flightchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/

just remember for easyjet, they are going to charge you for luggage on top of the ticket. if you go over 20KG per person, it gets really expensive

isnt easyjet only outa london luton quite abit outside london
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crazzyscotsman:
Originally posted by Chief:
I'm taking the train and ferry to Amsterdam after the game, the back packing from there.

hmmm youl be cheaper geting a flight dirt cheap flights to amsterdam due to lower airport taxes there

Thanks, but I have priced out some things and a train and boat would be far more interesting.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
What hotel are you guys staying at? I'm trying to find a good deal. I already bought my plane ticket... 40 euro!! Ryanair for anyone who is overseas already. They have the cheapest flights.

52 dollars for a plane flight??? where do u live

yea I live in Germany. This is an opportunity for me I cannot pass up. The only problem is, I have no tickets. I might try to scalp them.
[ Edited by ApatheticIAm on Jul 20, 2010 at 7:40 AM ]
I'm coming from San Jose, CA and my mates from way up north (North Yorkshire) have recommend this place for some tailgate atmosphere

NFL type Tailgate at Green Manchester Pub

Check out the photo section
[ Edited by BodyRocker on Jul 20, 2010 at 8:33 AM ]
  • Silky
  • Veteran
anybody know how to get tickets? or am I SOL?
  • mod
  • Veteran

I might have 1 available. I bought 2 but I'll probably be going by myself.
Originally posted by BodyRocker:
I'm coming from San Jose, CA and my mates from way up north (North Yorkshire) have recommend this place for some tailgate atmosphere

NFL type Tailgate at Green Manchester Pub

Check out the photo section

you mean the green man pub wembley its right nexta wembley this tailgate is organised by the colchester gladiators brittish american football club and is def the place to be saterday night and sunday

• Silky
  • Veteran

you should hook it up! How much did you pay?
  • mod
  • Veteran

I payed £80.00 each for them which comes out to about $140 but, I can give a Zoner Discount and sell it for about $100.

ads_2006 has first dibs but I havent heard from him in awhile. He wasnt sure if he had any time to go.

I payed £80.00 each for them which comes out to about $140 but, I can give a Zoner Discount and sell it for about $100.

ads_2006 has first dibs but I havent heard from him in awhile. He wasnt sure if he had any time to go.

you payed 80 for em corners are only 70 i know yers are sideline but pretty high up for 80 but then again i looked at what there selling for there going for about £100 - £300 for same ticket gotta luv nfluk im glad i got mine on feb 1st although not long ago 49ers had a load selling threw there site i think there all sold out now

i hate ticket touts that buy up all the tickets for profit

sept i did go ta greenbay vs vikings that was a sellout for 90 dollers which was great cause it wasnt a ticket tout it was a fan and he sold it ticket price just cause i was scottish was awsum i went ta game then caught flight back ta scotland from msp right after

and i would love ta say any fan selling spare tickets for no profit i hold my hands up and say ty for being there for real fans
  • mod
  • Veteran

you payed 80 for em corners are only 70 i know yers are sideline but pretty high up for 80 but then again i looked at what there selling for there going for about £100 - £300 for same ticket gotta luv nfluk im glad i got mine on feb 1st although not long ago 49ers had a load selling threw there site i think there all sold out now

sept i did go ta greenbay vs vikings that was a sellout for 90 dollers which was great cause it wasnt a ticket tout it was a fan and he sold it ticket price just cause i was scottish was awsum i went ta game then caught flight back ta scotland from msp right after

and i would love ta say any fan selling spare tickets for no profit i hold my hands up and say ty for being there for real fans

Tell me about it dude... I had 50 yard line seats at wembley but I forgot my Social Security number to verify my VISA and got stuck with these tickets by the 5 yard line. Oh well... not gonna let that stop me from going. And like I said, if I can get a $100 for the other one I'll be happy.

It says i'm on Row 20, but I have no idea how high that is...
[ Edited by modninerfan on Jul 20, 2010 at 4:41 PM ]

Tell me about it dude... I had 50 yard line seats at wembley but I forgot my Social Security number to verify my VISA and got stuck with these tickets by the 5 yard line. Oh well... not gonna let that stop me from going. And like I said, if I can get a $100 for the other one I'll be happy.

It says i'm on Row 20, but I have no idea how high that is...

its about 1/3 way up if ya look at the wembley map ya see the shaded bit it goes up to the 20th row = little more for em i got lucky and got 19th row in corner for 70 total so i m pretty happy and i like the veiw i dont care were i sit long as i see 9ers trump broncos

hey if on facebook look for me crazzyscotsman or john mackintosh feel free ta add me
[ Edited by crazzyscotsman on Jul 20, 2010 at 5:17 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone