LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Most important 49ers to sign long term

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
I say give franklin a 2 year deal, and start looking for his replacement, and sign the rest you listed.

I would throw in alex smith, give him an extension. Like it or not, atm he is the best qb on the roster.

I expect shaun hill to be traded in the next 1-2 yrs.

No one and I mean no one would trade for Shaun Hill. The Hills of the world are a dime a dozen and can be picked up of drafted late for next to nothing. No team in their right mind would give up anything for Hill. He will be released as soon as Davis is ready to be #2 or a Franchise Qb is signed.
Willis
Franklin
Brooks
Davis
Goldson
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
I say give franklin a 2 year deal, and start looking for his replacement, and sign the rest you listed.

I would throw in alex smith, give him an extension. Like it or not, atm he is the best qb on the roster.

I expect shaun hill to be traded in the next 1-2 yrs.

Originally posted by genz22:
Since this year will be uncapped cant the Niners load the deals to where most of the money (guaranteed money/signing bonus) goes towards 2010. If thats the case they could get all the key players (Lawson/Willis/Brooks/Davis/Franklin) locked up this year.....

Originally posted by genz22:
Give Willis a 6-7 year deal....

Franklin 2 to 3 years....

Davis should get a big contract as well....

Hate to lose Lawson but he may be the most expendable...

Brooks needs to show what he can do this year....give him 1-2 year deal...while he is still afordable...

Agree
Originally posted by elguapo:

Willis
Franklin
Brooks
Davis
Goldson

This about covers our pressing issues. I think A. Smith can be negotiated with after next year.
Originally posted by susweel:
Lock up Alex Smith he is our franchise QB.

I think he should pay the niners he still owes us.
keep our D together, add a SS and OL help from the draft.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Willlis is going too get a huge contract regardless if we sign him this year or next. Since he signed through 2011, that is not a huge deal.

Davis should be resigned... I am not sold on Goldson or Franklin just yet, therefore, I would only resign them this offseason if it is a good deal for the Niners.

As far as Smith goes, I wouldn't give him a deal until after next year... If we give him a 3-4 year contract and he flounders next year, then we are stuck with a mediocre backup. He is one I would be willing to wait on and sign a huge contract should he excel in 2010...

I think regardless Alex would be a good backup to have. If we can extend him for maybe 2 years for good backup money that could be really good for us if he does well with minimal negative impact if he doesn't do well. Alex doesn't strike me as the guy that is going to demand a new big contract if he does do well.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by blm7754:
Matt Maiocco's article on the 49ers pass rush and upcoming FA's is a good read. He brings up a few interesting points... mainly that money should be spend to retain the nucleus of the team instead of on big name FA's. That begs the question.... which players constitute the nucleus of the team? Who do we need to lock up with long term contracts?

IMO....
Aubrayo Franklin - UFA this year. We need to resign him. He's turned into a solid NT and those are hard to come by. He is worth a hefty price tag.

Ahmad Brooks - RFA this year. Extend him now, before he has another good season and can command serious $$$.

Vernon Davis - signed through 2010. Obviously a key player. He will probably be expensive to extend right after his first pro-bowl season, but we don't want him to ever sniff the open market, or it will be a lot worse.

Manny Lawson - signed through 2010. Some have been unhappy with him. I think he is a key player to keep around though. We shouldn't break the bank, but if we do it now he shouldn't be that expensive.

Patrick Willis - he is signed through 2011, but why not lock him up till 2017 like Joe Staley?

Discuss....

Franklin 4 year voidable 5th

Brooks 3 year

Vernon 5 year voidable 6th

Lawson 3 year

Willis 6 year voidable 7th

Share 49ersWebzone