LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Vernon disses Dallas Clark

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
Dude.... Clark is not even close to the TE that Davis is. He's only better at catching and that's it. Don't forget that he also has one of the best offensive lines and one of the best QB's of all-time.

Isn't catching the most important thing? If Vd could catch as good as Clark Niners would've beat Seattle. And do you devalue Jerry Rice b/c he played with a great o line and a great qb?
[ Edited by lamontb on Feb 1, 2010 at 10:55 AM ]
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
Dude.... Clark is not even close to the TE that Davis is. He's only better at catching and that's it. Don't forget that he also has one of the best offensive lines and one of the best QB's of all-time.

Isn't catching the most important thing? If Vd could catch as good as Clark Niners would've beat Seattle. And do you devalue Jerry Rice b/c he played with a great o line and a great qb?

Different needs for the position... TE tends to stay and block FIRST...

• dj43
Until Davis learns how to run routes other than verts, and read defenses well enough to be an effective "hot read" receiver, and cures his droppsies, and eliminates his false start penalties, he will not be the best all-around TE in the league.

Davis made his biggest improvement this past season in his career. He still has a ways to go before he can legitimately be called the best. Until then, he best let his play talk instead of his mouth.
Vernon is a way better blocker than Clark. Maybe if his hands were better he'd be right.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
http://www.sacbee.com/sports/story/2502427.html

Seriously dude? He thinks his all around game is better than Dallas Clark? Honestly I think Clark is the best TE in the game. I like how Vern has gotten better, and he's not a cancerous player anymore, but part of me really wonders how much he's really matured. You don't go out and say that IMO, that your all around game is way better than a guy who is an integral part of a super bowl team and his stats are just as good if not better than yours. This isn't the first time he's said something either...

I bet your rooting for the Colts come next week huh?

Yeah what's wrong with rooting for the colts? They're a team of great players and they're very likeable and they're not in our conference.

Point proven your bias you love the colts
thats why your backing Clark over Davis
what kind of niner fan are you????
taking his side.

by the way Dallas Clark has to be also rankend
one of the top ugly's in the NFL that dude looks like a bad horror movie waiting to happen
he gets my vote in that department.

Originally posted by dj43:
Until Davis learns how to run routes other than verts, and read defenses well enough to be an effective "hot read" receiver, and cures his droppsies, and eliminates his false start penalties, he will not be the best all-around TE in the league.

Davis made his biggest improvement this past season in his career. He still has a ways to go before he can legitimately be called the best. Until then, he best let his play talk instead of his mouth.

This! I mean the main reason he didnt make it to the All Pro team was because of his drops. And thats what separates the goods from greats. No one cares about how many blocks DC has. They care about how many catches and TD's.

So while im definitely in my boys corner, he does have to prove a little more before he can really diss a proven player. Davis' Blocking skills are off the hook, but if thats all they wanted to see he might of made it from his rookie year till now.

And for any vets out there i'm just curious; HAS there ever been a TE thats made it to the All Pro team or Pro Bowl on the merit of just being the best blocking TE in the league. If there are, then Davis should of definitely be on the All Pro team, and can have a little validity in saying he's the best.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jersey9er:

This! I mean the main reason he didnt make it to the All Pro team was because of his drops. And thats what separates the goods from greats. No one cares about how many blocks DC has. They care about how many catches and TD's.

So while im definitely in my boys corner, he does have to prove a little more before he can really diss a proven player. Davis' Blocking skills are off the hook, but if thats all they wanted to see he might of made it from his rookie year till now.

And for any vets out there i'm just curious; HAS there ever been a TE thats made it to the All Pro team or Pro Bowl on the merit of just being the best blocking TE in the league. If there are, then Davis should of definitely be on the All Pro team, and can have a little validity in saying he's the best.

Let's be fair now. Dallas Clark had 9 drops himself. Only 2 behind Vernon.
Originally posted by krizay:

WTF, did he? Damn i didnt even know that, but i mean to be real, thats the only reason i can think of him not being on the All PRO Team.

At one point tho, Davis did leave more than a few TD's on the board, and Clark (maybe has), but then if thats the case how come they talked more about Davis' drops.

Makes you wonder, Hmmmmmm

Thanks krizay, just when i thought it made sense, now you said Clark's drops are only 2 under Davis, so know im all f**ked up. lol
  • krizay
  • Veteran

WTF, did he? Damn i didnt even know that, but i mean to be real, thats the only reason i can think of him not being on the All PRO Team.

At one point tho, Davis did leave more than a few TD's on the board, and Clark (maybe has), but then if thats the case how come they talked more about Davis' drops.

Thanks krizay, just when i thought it made sense, now you said Clark's drops are only 2 under Davis, so know im all f**ked up. lol

Well Clark did have 100 catches, 1106 yards & 10 TD's

All of that looks better than 78 catches, 965 yards & 13 td's

You guys only want to look at the 13 td's because it's Vernon Davis. But Clark's look far better across the board than Davis'

You guys only want to look at the 13 td's because it's Vernon Davis. But Clark's look far better across the board than Davis'

Umm you do realize who's throwing at him right? & what team Clark belongs to? It's the f**king Colts

• krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

Umm you do realize who's throwing at him right? & what team Clark belongs to? It's the f**king Colts

There's always ATLEAST one of you quoting me and changing the argument.

I'm just replying to what you said "Well Clark did have 100 catches, 1106 yards & 10 TD's

All of that looks better than 78 catches, 965 yards & 13 td's"

I mean obviously Clark is going to have the better stats, we're the 49ers - the league leaders in 3 & outs

Colts - going to the SB next week with one of the all time greatest at QB, the guy is even making Garcon & Collie look like Pro Bowlers..jus sayin'
[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Feb 1, 2010 at 12:16 PM ]
http://www.sacbee.com/sports/story/2502427.html

Seriously dude? He thinks his all around game is better than Dallas Clark? Honestly I think Clark is the best TE in the game. I like how Vern has gotten better, and he's not a cancerous player anymore, but part of me really wonders how much he's really matured. You don't go out and say that IMO, that your all around game is way better than a guy who is an integral part of a super bowl team and his stats are just as good if not better than yours. This isn't the first time he's said something either...

Agreed, just another brother talkin out his arse
  • krizay
  • Veteran

I'm just replying to what you said "Well Clark did have 100 catches, 1106 yards & 10 TD's

All of that looks better than 78 catches, 965 yards & 13 td's"

I mean obviously Clark is going to have the better stats, we're the 49ers - the league leaders in 3 & outs

Colts - going to the SB next week with one of the all time greatest at QB, the guy is even making Garcon & Collie look like Pro Bowlers..jus sayin'

I can't believe i'm going to take the bait and comment on something THAT IS OFF THE TOPIC. But what the hell!

The amount of 3 & outs only has an effect on the whole team's stats not an individual. If you are thrown to enough over the course of the year. You are going to get your numbers. Going 3 and out only means there's less to go around. Same thing with rushing. Regardless of how your line blocks if you get enough carries you are going to get your numbers.
  • dj43

Which proves that analyzing only one stat doesn't provide the full picture even though it does place Davis below Clark. Here are some quick numbers to compare them:

Clark Davis
+22 rec
+142 yds
11.1 avg 12.4
80 long 73
10 TD 13
59% 1st% 51%

Though Clark is not called on to block as much as Davis, he is an above average blocker.

All told, I see no compelling case to consider Davis a better all-around TE.
Share 49ersWebzone