LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

Vernon disses Dallas Clark

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
1. That football focus site is subjective.

2. Drops are subjective. Not saying VD has the best hands because he doesn't, but ball placement is a key factor in drops.

Use your eyes here people (not OP or some others), VD has become a great weapon for us in the passing game and I don't see any issue with his blocking. The argument that he gets #'s because he gets a lot of targets is silly. Wouldn't you want to target your best receiving option? He responded with a league record for TDs at his position and almost 1000 yards...what's the problem again?

And to those who don't realize this...Dallas Clark IS NOT a traditional TE. He's used as a WR more than anything else. The Colts offense doesn't even require him to be a run blocker.

1. your eyes can be subjective as well. See Kwame Harris. Harris did a decent job for the most part. But he would get a penalty on a key play or 2 and people would say he suck. When in fact on 55ish plays he played decent but all we want to see are those couple bad ones.

2. I agree with this.

How is this targets a silly argument? It is the SAME EXACT ARGUMENT that was made for Vernon Davis not putting up numbers. The argument was he isn't being used properly. He needs to be thrown to such and such amount of times. As far as routes and sh*t go he's being used the same exact way he's always been used just with more opportunity.

So how can it be good enough for an excuse. But not looked at as a result?

Well in reality, it's true that the numbers he puts up are due to targets...you have to have the ball thrown at you to catch it. Let me put it this way...if Jerry Rice wasn't ever thrown the ball in the middle of his prime, wouldn't you say the reason he's not putting up numbers is b/c he's not being utilized properly? I'm sure you would. Now lets say you have some random below avg. WR. Nobody is gonna say he's not putting up numbers b/c of targets...they'd just say he sucks.

Do you honestly think that you could interchange any TE into our offense and they'd respond with 950 yards and 13 TDs with the same number of targets? That's the argument you're making and krizay, lets be real here, it's insane! Like I said before, you're completely removing talent from the equation and speaking as if pass catchers are all equal and only dependent on the number of targets they get...to add, better players get more targets.

See Miles Austin & Roy Williams.
See Steve Smith & Hakeem Nicks

Roy Williams more perceived talent than Miles Austin. Miles Austin more looks better production

Hakeem Nicks more perceived talent than Steve Smith. Steve Smith more looks better production.

By no means am I saying he doesn't have talent because he does. His talents just aren't much better than most of the other TE's around. Alot of players get put in the upper echelon because of numbers they put up. When their numbers had little to do with talent.

Miles Austin was a scrub until T.O. left and got more opportunities. Steve Smith was an average Joe until Plax Cheddar Bobbed himself and he got motrre opportunities. Talent isn't always a factor in why guys all of a sudden come on to the scene.

fixed it for yah
Simple observation of Dallas Clark in the SB: He sure hasn't done anything mind blowing. Most of his catches he didn't even get seperation from the LB, it was more Manning making the most perfect pass to where only he could get it. I'm not saying he isn't a good players, but no way I would take him over Davis.

IMO: If Dallas was on a team with a non HOF Qb he would not be considered elite.

IMO: Davis with a HOF Qb would be a HOF of TEs. Could you imagine if Davis was thrown passes in stride and didn't have to sit and wait for the ball? We would be talking GOAT (of TEs).
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 7, 2010 at 5:51 PM ]
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
f**k Dallas Clark and his no blocking ass

This.

Has anybody ever seen Dallas Clark block?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Clark - better hands.

Davis - better speed, explosiveness, strength, and blocking.

I guess he has point.

Exactly...also Clark has been in better O's than VD. Gotta agree with VD.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Simple observation of Dallas Clark in the SB: He sure hasn't done anything mind blowing. Most of his catches he didn't even get seperation from the LB, it was more Manning making the most perfect pass to where only he could get it. I'm not saying he isn't a good players, but no way I would take him over Davis.

IMO: If Dallas was on a team with a non HOF Qb he would not be considered elite.

IMO: Davis with a HOF Qb would be a HOF of TEs. Could you imagine if Davis was thrown passes in stride and didn't have to sit and wait for the ball? We would be talking GOAT (of TEs).

Whatever happened to Eric Johnson.

Now HE had some buttery hands.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Feb 7, 2010 at 7:18 PM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran

contrary to popular belief. The separation isn't much different than that of Davis

contrary to popular belief. The separation isn't much different than that of Davis

I really dont even know what to say. You'll probably be saying the same thing 15 years from now at his HOF introduction....LOL

I'm not saying he will make it, I'm just sure if he did it wouldn't change your mind....
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 7, 2010 at 9:25 PM ]
I love VD but his calling out ANYBODY in the NFL is not the 49er Way. Better he improve to the sky and let the "talking heads" of the media make the comparisons and the rivalries.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
I can't believe there are still people arguing about VD, one of our best players. It amazes me that there are fans out there like this. Just imagine if he did suck

How are we saying he sucks? We're arguing whether or not he's better than the all pro 1st team tight end. That's a pretty damn good honor IMO, whether he's a perfect player or not(which no, he's not even though he's awesome a majority of the time).

I didn't say anyone said he sucks, but it's just amazing that people still want to b***h and moan about VD. We know he has his faults, every player does but VD finally produces but yet reading through this forum it seems as if he hasn't.

I love Vernon but i do gotta say i agree with alotta guys here. Whats a TEs main job? to be the safety valve for the QB when hes in trouble. Find the soft spots in zones. get open on 3rd down. Davis does all of them decently. Dallas Clark does it very very well. Hes like Welker in that sense. He just finds ways to get open.

Davis on the other hand needs routes where he can outrun n get separation.maybe in a year or two hell get there. I mean the guy definitely has the crazy work ethic so id be surprised if he didnt. Still at this point in time DC is the best TE in football.

that's messed up...Clark should fight V.Diddy for it.
Share 49ersWebzone