There are 269 users in the forums

Alex Smith is smarter than Steve Young

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • gage
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
There is Book Smart and there is Street Smart. Book smart people seem to take a lot of time trying to figure things out when it comes to simple things. Street Smart people tend to just react according to their situation.

Seems to me, that's the problem with Alex Smith. Too much thinking and not enough reacting!

When you're up to your arse in alligators, which one would you take? I'll take Steve Young any day!

Oh, btw: Here are some more wonderlic scores of QB's that Alex Smith beat out.
Philip Rivers 38, Drew Brees 28, Tom Brady 33 and Peyton Manning 28.

So based on these, Alex Smith MUST be the better QB!

Obviously but would you take Steve when he was with Tampa and played like garbage because he was on a garbage team????

I don't know where you were at the time but Tampa Bay was the worse team around. I remember when John Mckay was hired for this new American League expansion team. And when they picked up Steve Young 9 years later, they were still a relatively new team.

A COLLEGE coach was hired to build a new NFL team instead of an experienced NFL coach. What did everyone expect?

If you're one of those that complains about Alex Smith NOT having a good offensive line around him, then consider being the QB on the WORSE team around.

Yes, worse than the current 49er's, worse than the Detroit Lions and WORSE than the New Orleans Saints during their losing years!

So when making comparisons, make sure you take everything into consideration.

In answer to your question: Yes, I would have taken Steve Young in a heartbeat and so would have other teams!

So now I have a question for you. If he was such a GARBAGE player, why did Bill Walsh pick him up? Obviously he knew something YOU don't!

Steve Young couldn't turn around the Bucs because he didn't have sufficient mental capacity.

Bill Walsh obviously saw the raw physical talent and knew that he (Bill) would have to compensate for Steve's lack of intelligence. Why do you think he had to sit behind Joe for so long?

Could you imagine Alex being around back the!!!???!?!?!? OMFG we're talking like, 8 or 9 rings!
Yes, but is he smarter than a Fifth grader
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
smith couldn't hold youngs jock strap.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Steve Youngs overrated...The dud was terrible at reading blitzes, if it wasnt for Rice and TO he wouldve never had that great passer rating...He overthrew his receivers almost every other throw, hes just lucky he had Rice on the team..And a great coaching staff to go with a very good O Line...

Most overrated QB in NFL History: EASILY Steve YOung... Jeff Garcia > Steve Young, Garcia was a very accurate QB, and was good with his legs, another thing people overrated Young with..

Ban yourself.
Originally posted by TheCatch:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
smith couldn't hold youngs jock strap.

Smith needs to "learn" how to raise his level of competition, and "learn" how to be a winner, before he can be mentioned in the same sentence as Steve.
If smith is smarter than young, then he should prove it and watch Steve's tapes, along with Joe's, and learn how to make himself pump fake. ALL the qbs in the playoffs use that pump to help get receivers open. Alex frequently just stares his guy down and everyone knows where the ball is going. If alex is really smarter than Steve, then he should learn to pump fake, heck, every play. He would be amazed how much better his completion % is. So if alex can do that one little thing, then he could be smarter than steve. But until he learns an obligatory pump fake, he can't carry steve's jock strap.

Incidentally, i blame QB coach, OC, GM, and HC for alex's lack of pump faking. Maybe with MJ as QB coach, solari and bigRay coaching the OL, big Mike learning to take active part in Qbing as well as OCing, maybe, just maybe our QB can markedly improve with learning to pump fake on every pass. But coaches deserve as much blame for this as alex. Once he hit the nfl, he was virtually left stranded on an island and never got the benefit of good coaching. That is criminal, and this yr, right now is the time to change that.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jan 30, 2010 at 7:42 AM ]
If smarts = Great football player, then lets get this guy,
Steve Youngs overrated...The dud was terrible at reading blitzes, if it wasnt for Rice and TO he wouldve never had that great passer rating...He overthrew his receivers almost every other throw, hes just lucky he had Rice on the team..And a great coaching staff to go with a very good O Line...

Most overrated QB in NFL History: EASILY Steve YOung... Jeff Garcia > Steve Young, Garcia was a very accurate QB, and was good with his legs, another thing people overrated Young with..

Steve was an excellent mover of the ball. He was a fine and brave runner, sometimes too brave. He threw a hard ball but was quite accurate.

In comparison with Montana he was certainly not as good at reading Ds and checking through the receivers. He had, on occasion, the look of a deer stuck in car headlights about him prior to laying to rest the ghosts by winning a superbowl.

He is perhaps a trifle overrated on the zone and, after being picked up by Bill Walsh, he could not have had a better preparation for his career.

To say, howver, that Garcia was a better qb is very NT and somewhat beggars the imagination. I don't see much in the way of justification so I shan't bother with a reasoned rebuttal. Simply put, Garcia was the best we had at the time but could not compare with Young.

Not sure why this hobby of putting down our players is so popular in NT. For myself I prefer to celebrate their strengths and the good memories. But Garcia being better than Young is one of the more far fetched NT theories. To be polite.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
If smarts = Great football player, then lets get this guy,

I think the Cardinals are looking into signing him.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Smith is a better test taker! Steve Young is a better football player.

To bad he isn't a better QB.

This must be the most asinine comment without anything to back it up. Young completed at least 2 out of 3 passes (66.7%) for SEVEN years in a row! If your arguement is because of the receivers Young had, then why is it that Leinart doesn't complete as much passes as Kurt Warner does with the same amount of talent around them? It also has something to do with the QB.

Steve Young was overrated as a rusher? He is SECOND in NFL history, yes HISTORY, in rushing yards for a quarterback.

Please do research first, otherwise it looks like your just talking out of your a$$. The only thing that can save your post is sarcasm, and I don't even sense it.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Wonderlic Scores
Alex Smith 40
Steve Young 33

http://www.hogshaven.com/2009/2/17/762095/combine-the-wonderlic

Super Bowl here we come, this aint a game. Alex Smith is gonna be flipping defenses on their backs next year.

And to all of you haters out there, the numbers dont lie, wow i cant believe he scored that much higher than Steve Mothaf**kin Young.

They even both went to college in Utah, GO FIGURE

According to the wonderlic he's also much smarter than Peyton Manning. When it comes to football smarts, Manning >>>> every QB in history.

Wonderlic scores obviously mean very little when it comes to football smarts.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:

This must be the most asinine comment without anything to back it up. Young completed at least 2 out of 3 passes (66.7%) for SEVEN years in a row! If your arguement is because of the receivers Young had, then why is it that Leinart doesn't complete as much passes as Kurt Warner does with the same amount of talent around them? It also has something to do with the QB.

Steve Young was overrated as a rusher? He is SECOND in NFL history, yes HISTORY, in rushing yards for a quarterback.

Please do research first, otherwise it looks like your just talking out of your a$$. The only thing that can save your post is sarcasm, and I don't even sense it.

LOL @ ImaMod. What a joke.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Wonderlic Scores
Alex Smith 40
Steve Young 33

http://www.hogshaven.com/2009/2/17/762095/combine-the-wonderlic

Super Bowl here we come, this aint a game. Alex Smith is gonna be flipping defenses on their backs next year.

And to all of you haters out there, the numbers dont lie, wow i cant believe he scored that much higher than Steve Mothaf**kin Young.

They even both went to college in Utah, GO FIGURE

According to the wonderlic he's also much smarter than Peyton Manning. When it comes to football smarts, Manning >>>> every QB in history.

Wonderlic scores obviously mean very little when it comes to football smarts.

Vince Young should be better than them all, by your logic.
Share 49ersWebzone