There are 214 users in the forums

With the additions of Solari and Brown at OL coaches...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
I have a strong feeling that Singletary and McCloughan want to salvage Baas and Rachal. The reason being is that McCloughan has had a track record of limiting the amount of funds dedicated towards guards.

We weren't in any serious competition for Hutchinson or Faneca when they were free agents, and we let Smiley walk in favor for the cheaper option of Baas. In addition, we acquired hybrid prospects in Snyder (OT/OG), Wragge (C/OG), and Wallace (C/OG) for the purpose of reasonable (financially) flexibility on the depth chart.

I have no articles to post that may back up this sentiment, but the more I analyze these offseason moves, the more I feel that we will target RT, but may not acquire a guy like Iupati or Asamoah in the draft.

Thoughts?
Baas has chronic injury problems, which cannot be salvaged. Rachal is just gaining experience, he is going to be a beast!

We absolutely should draft a RT, Trent Williams or Bulaga. However, McC may try to make things work (again) with Pashos, Snyder and Boone possibly being ready to play.

If we can draft Iupati we will be able to make the running game work and protect the QB. I think Baas has had plenty of chances and is a big disappointment.
Hmm, maybe so.

I would say that Snyder and Baas are beyond salvage. They're now in the scrap heap pile. Baas will likely stay because he's a RFA.

I'll take Baas as a backup, but I really want to see a rookies starting at LG and RT.

If not, and we still have the same o-line struggles, i'll jump on the "Fire McCloughan" bandwagon.

-9fA
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Bass is pretty good when he isn't hurt. Usually he misses a bunch of time and can't practice and it takse him about 2 games to start playing well.

Rachal should have been a rookie last year because he came out as a junior when he wasn't really ready. He played better at the end of the year.

I think both of these guys can be really good. Bass has to stay healthy and Rachal has to keep learning and working.
Originally posted by GEEK:
I have a strong feeling that Singletary and McCloughan want to salvage Baas and Rachal. The reason being is that McCloughan has had a track record of limiting the amount of funds dedicated towards guards.

We weren't in any serious competition for Hutchinson or Faneca when they were free agents, and we let Smiley walk in favor for the cheaper option of Baas. In addition, we acquired hybrid prospects in Snyder (OT/OG), Wragge (C/OG), and Wallace (C/OG) for the purpose of reasonable (financially) flexibility on the depth chart.

I have no articles to post that may back up this sentiment, but the more I analyze these offseason moves, the more I feel that we will target RT, but may not acquire a guy like Iupati or Asamoah in the draft.

Thoughts?

If they wanted to salvage Baas, they would probably extend his contract. Since there's not a peep of that happening, I doubt it.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Hmm, maybe so.

I would say that Snyder and Baas are beyond salvage. They're now in the scrap heap pile. Baas will likely stay because he's a RFA.

I'll take Baas as a backup, but I really want to see a rookies starting at LG and RT.

If not, and we still have the same o-line struggles, i'll jump on the "Fire McCloughan" bandwagon.

-9fA

I think all of our guys have talent. Just needed better coaching on technique and such. One of the first things Solari mentioned was fundamentals so he must have seen something over the years of playing against us.
Tackle is obviously a bigger need. We may well draft a guard but they never go high. Regardless, we should expect more out of our current players and Solari and Brown should help with achieving that goal.
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by GEEK:

Thoughts?

If they wanted to salvage Baas, they would probably extend his contract. Since there's not a peep of that happening, I doubt it.

If Baas was unrestricted I would agree. Since he'll be a RFA the team is in a position to keep him under contract for a reasonable price in 2010.
Originally posted by VA49er:
Tackle is obviously a bigger need. We may well draft a guard but they never go high. Regardless, we should expect more out of our current players and Solari and Brown should help with achieving that goal.

Ture tackle is a bigger need. We can't expect to address all the needs(I mean getting starting caliber players) in one draft. I don't see the Niners spending either of the first round picks on a G. So Baas better step it up.
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Hmm, maybe so.

-9fA

I think all of our guys have talent. Just needed better coaching on technique and such. One of the first things Solari mentioned was fundamentals so he must have seen something over the years of playing against us.

I hope you're right, Baas has started 38 games in his career but I haven't seen much from him that would say that he's a long term starter. Maybe Solari and co. can turn him around but I personally have my doubts.

-9fA

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I hope thats not the case. Baas straight up sucks, Rachal is still young but he probably should not be a starter right now.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I think they can be salvaged and Brown being a former 8th round pick probably didn't have as much raw talent as either player. Baas' biggest problem are injuries and not establishing chemistry with his fellow linemen. Even Snyder can be salvaged. He used to be great as a depth player at one point.

IMHO, the entire line regressed this season and I have no doubt that was because of Foerster. If Solari and Brown approach the OL with the same technique McKittrick used to turn other players into great lines, I'm just giddy over the possibilities.

I with others have been calling for this change for a long time and it would seem Singletary agreed somewhat. I still don't believe the "official" story that Foerster left on his own accord. They were talking to Solari before Foerster officially "resigned". The hire of Brown as an assistant I think confirms this.

Let's hope Singletary continues to bring in former players. I would just fall out if Rice decided to coach the receivers. I think the board would go into immediate nirvana.

Given Singletary's propensity for honesty and Christian values, I sincerely doubt he lied about what transpired. As a matter of fact, you can hear the determined delivery of his response about Foerester. I believe that Singletary was resigned at the fact that he was keeping Foerester for continuity and had to let Solari go once again.

Then Foerester pleaded to be with family, a core value for Coach Singletary and let him go to the Redskins. This says it all:

“It’s really interesting how it happened. Mike Solari is a guy who, when I was interviewing for head coaching jobs around the league, he was my No. 1 guy. The fact that I would be able to get him at this juncture and how this happened is really amazing. I think it’s a win-win situation. When I talked to Chris this morning, I just told him that I believe things work out for a reason. I told Chris this morning, best of luck to you, and I hope everything goes well. I had an interview set up with Mike Solari and my wife and I felt like that would be – everything would work itself out.”
--49ers.com

Mike Singletary wasn't sneaky or manipulative. He was blunt and honest as always to the point he even called Foerester to tell him we got Solari and the Redskins got you and everything works out for a reason.

As far as Brown and Solari, I know you and many have been calling for Solari with great reason. Now with Brown to assist, I can see further development with our own squad and the newbies that come in.

IMO, we will finally have a formidable OL at the beginning of the season with some great depth! It will be fun to watch Solari and friends work their magic!

Go 49ers!
  • flow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I think they can be salvaged and Brown being a former 8th round pick probably didn't have as much raw talent as either player. Baas' biggest problem are injuries and not establishing chemistry with his fellow linemen. Even Snyder can be salvaged. He used to be great as a depth player at one point.

IMHO, the entire line regressed this season and I have no doubt that was because of Foerster. If Solari and Brown approach the OL with the same technique McKittrick used to turn other players into great lines, I'm just giddy over the possibilities.

I with others have been calling for this change for a long time and it would seem Singletary agreed somewhat. I still don't believe the "official" story that Foerster left on his own accord. They were talking to Solari before Foerster officially "resigned". The hire of Brown as an assistant I think confirms this.

Let's hope Singletary continues to bring in former players. I would just fall out if Rice decided to coach the receivers. I think the board would go into immediate nirvana.

[ Edited by Crazy4Niners on Jan 27, 2010 at 1:46 PM ]
IMO we have real coaches now and if the OL guys don't work out then they do have to get replaced. By the way I am not as negative as many re: Shaun Hill's capabilities.
IMO Hill is the worst when he is under a heavy rush and can't step into his throws. He throws like a girl when he throws in a rushed fashion with his elbow. No qb can throw like that when a pass needs some steam. If the OL blocking were decent I think Shaun Hill would do just fine. What does bug me is that sort of stuff should be addressed by the coaches. Hill acquired his skills in picking his shots and the short game and I should think he should have better addressed his footwork and fundamentals. It says something that he has not to this point.
Originally posted by rapid4:
Baas has chronic injury problems, which cannot be salvaged. Rachal is just gaining experience, he is going to be a beast!

We absolutely should draft a RT, Trent Williams or Bulaga. However, McC may try to make things work (again) with Pashos, Snyder and Boone possibly being ready to play.

If we can draft Iupati we will be able to make the running game work and protect the QB. I think Baas has had plenty of chances and is a big disappointment.

I'm not a big bass fan but he did play decent at the end, but we still need an upgrade!
Share 49ersWebzone