LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 209 users in the forums

The Most Overated/Underated Niners

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
under rated:
1 brian jennings. best long snapper in the league, by many sources
2 manny lawson. yes, hes not a sack demon. but people need to look at him as a whole- hes blocked punts on special teams, hes all over the field on defense. over all he contributes A LOT.
3 justin smith. he plays LE, RE, DT, stands up. HE is the reason our defense works. his versatility allows us to do so much. hes a huge force.

over rated:
1 josh morgan. i love the guy, just gonna say that first of all. but people are all on his bandwagon as if hes had a 1000 yard game. i think he can be great, but he hasnt shown it yet.
2 frank gore. i love him as well, just gonna say that. BUT, forget about his 1600 yard season. what else has he done? 1000 yards in a season is much to get excited about. this year he was INCREDIBLY inconsistant. if you take away his HUGE runs, his average would be around 3.6 yards per carry. i know the o line.. i know the injuries.. im just saying.. an ELITE back gets at least 1200 yards rushing. only done that once..
3 michael lewis. blown coverages. hes very good in the box. he has a lot of value to our team. but hes not a pro bowl safety anymore, not by a long shot.

Then if you already know that, why even bother to post it? You've just shot down your own argument.

Judging from your posts...these arent even your own opinions. Just those that you've read from "sources" more like sportswriters around the country. Most of which never even see this team play on a weekly basis.

im saying that i know what everyone's arguments will be...

look at steven jackson. no o line. look at the yards.

there are plenty of running backs that have still had big seasons despite playing on bad teams.. bad o lines.. no qb..

the fact of the matter is, ANY way you want to cut it, Gore has had ONE amazing year.. the rest were average. Today, in 2009, 1,000 yards for a back is average. $hit, the doliphins had two backs do it.. Panthers almost did that too.. Chris Johnson had DOUBLE that.

I love Gore, OK? I'm a fan. I'm just saying that he's not as amazing as people make him out to be. LOOK AT THE STATS. STATS DONT LIE for running backs.

How would you rate Gore in the league?? After that one huge season, everyone rightfully had him as a top 3 back. What about this year? Top 5 back? Hell no. Last year? Top 5 back? Eh, it's a stretch.

As of right now, Gore is probably, realistically, about the 9th best back. Somewhere around there. And this is obviously a difference of opinion here- But to me, an "elite" back is a top 5 back at the very least. Probably a top 3 back. And you can't just look at one great season. You have to look at over-all.
[ Edited by BurritoSmuggler on Jan 27, 2010 at 8:59 AM ]
under rated:
2 manny lawson. yes, hes not a sack demon. but people need to look at him as a whole- hes blocked punts on special teams, hes all over the field on defense. over all he contributes A LOT.
3 justin smith. he plays LE, RE, DT, stands up. HE is the reason our defense works. his versatility allows us to do so much. hes a huge force.

over rated:
1 josh morgan. i love the guy, just gonna say that first of all. but people are all on his bandwagon as if hes had a 1000 yard game. i think he can be great, but he hasnt shown it yet.
2 frank gore. i love him as well, just gonna say that. BUT, forget about his 1600 yard season. what else has he done? 1000 yards in a season is much to get excited about. this year he was INCREDIBLY inconsistant. if you take away his HUGE runs, his average would be around 3.6 yards per carry. i know the o line.. i know the injuries.. im just saying.. an ELITE back gets at least 1200 yards rushing. only done that once..
3 michael lewis. blown coverages. hes very good in the box. he has a lot of value to our team. but hes not a pro bowl safety anymore, not by a long shot.

Then if you already know that, why even bother to post it? You've just shot down your own argument.

Judging from your posts...these arent even your own opinions. Just those that you've read from "sources" more like sportswriters around the country. Most of which never even see this team play on a weekly basis.

there are plenty of running backs that have still had big seasons despite playing on bad teams.. bad o lines.. no qb..

the fact of the matter is, ANY way you want to cut it, Gore has had ONE amazing year.. the rest were average. Today, in 2009, 1,000 yards for a back is average. $hit, the doliphins had two backs do it.. Panthers almost did that too.. Chris Johnson had DOUBLE that.

I love Gore, OK? I'm a fan. I'm just saying that he's not as amazing as people make him out to be. LOOK AT THE STATS. STATS DONT LIE for running backs.

How would you rate Gore in the league?? After that one huge season, everyone rightfully had him as a top 3 back. What about this year? Top 5 back? Hell no. Last year? Top 5 back? Eh, it's a stretch.

As of right now, Gore is probably, realistically, about the 9th best back. Somewhere around there. And this is obviously a difference of opinion here- But to me, an "elite" back is a top 5 back at the very least. Probably a top 3 back. And you can't just look at one great season. You have to look at over-all.

Stats definitely lie, more than anything. People that are too reliant on stats either forget, or never understood in the first place what football is all about. Stats are simply mathematical equations and answers that attempt to justify an individual, unit or team as being good or bad. Some work better than others. Some don't make much sense at all. Some are not relevant to certain systems or schemes; others are. Stats are like assumptions..................

I love Frank Gore too, but statistically speaking, he has never had an "amazing" year. 1,000 yards is not average either. It just isn't elite anymore. Very few, if any RB's that rush for 1,000 yards could be considered average.
Underrated
1) Clements
2)Lawson
3)Robinson
4)Spencer

Overrated
1)Staley
2)Nate Davis
3)Soap
4)Goldson
Frank Gore is one of the most complete backs in the NFL, Great runner, receiver he has been 1-2 in receptions on the team almost every year, and a great blocker, he does it all, and he has done this behind a horrible OL.

give Frank Gore the titans OL or even the jets OL, and i bet he gets 1500-1800 yards every year.

IMO Frank Gore is gonna be the best back in 49er history when its all said and done, and i feel sorry for those who dont realize it and will wish they would have appreciated him more when he was playing
Originally posted by valrod33:
Frank Gore is one of the most complete backs in the NFL, Great runner, receiver he has been 1-2 in receptions on the team almost every year, and a great blocker, he does it all, and he has done this behind a horrible OL.

give Frank Gore the titans OL or even the jets OL, and i bet he gets 1500-1800 yards every year.

IMO Frank Gore is gonna be the best back in 49er history when its all said and done, and i feel sorry for those who dont realize it and will wish they would have appreciated him more when he was playing

I agree I just wish he wouldnt have those damn ankle sprains every year

Finaly...someone who knows something about football....
Originally posted by Hitman49:

Finaly...someone who knows something about football....

nah, i just stayed at a holiday inn express last night
Originally posted by bobbyblackjack:
49'er and NFL Great BILL ROMANOWSKI will be LIVE on Talking Football LIVE this Friday, January 29. The show runs from 2-4pm ET and is heard on WIFI 1460AM in New Jersey. The show can be heard in the San Francisco area on www.wifi1460am.com. Call in and talk to Marcus or your hosts about any NFL topic!!! Call-in number is 347-884-8215.

Romanowski is a moron. Why are you spamming this thread with your stupid ads?
  • bobbyblackjack
  • Info N/A
if you think so, call into the show.....NFL news/info is not spam, this is an NFL fan site no????
  • dj43
By this board,
OVER-RATED:
The Davis boys, Nate and Vernon. Nate has done NOthing...yet, Vernon has done one thing but numerous other things are not yet done.

Josh Morgan - who?

Ahmad Brooks - took him all season to get 5 sacks and now he is LT?

UNDER-RATED:
Shawntae Spencer - the third best defender on the team, and no one hears his name
Eric Heitman - anyone who doesn't get it is new to the board
Michael Robinson - does a lot of the heavy lifting on STs that never gets noticed

Originally posted by bobbyblackjack:
if you think so, call into the show.....NFL news/info is not spam, this is an NFL fan site no????

SPAM
under rated:

over rated:

I think someone smuggled your burrito. Here, I will list the stats for you between Gore and Jackson.

Gore in 13 games (it actually says 14 because he started the MIN game but only played 1 play).

Rushing:
1,120 yards
4.9 per carry
80 yard TD longest run

Receiving:
52 catches
406 yards
7.8 per catch
48 yard long reception

Jackson in 15 games

Rushing:
1,416 yards
4.4 per carry
58 yard longest run

Receiving:
51 catches
322 yards
6.3 per catch
38 yard long reception

Breakdown:
Yards: Gore < Jackson
Yards per Carry: Gore > Jackson
Long Run: Gore > Jackson
Receptions: Gore > Jackson
Yards per Catch: Gore > Jackson
Long Reception: Gore > Jackson

What did you say about Jackson's stats?
Originally posted by Joecool:
under rated:

over rated:

I think someone smuggled your burrito. Here, I will list the stats for you between Gore and Jackson.

Gore in 13 games (it actually says 14 because he started the MIN game but only played 1 play).

Rushing:
1,120 yards
4.9 per carry
80 yard TD longest run

Receiving:
52 catches
406 yards
7.8 per catch
48 yard long reception

Jackson in 15 games

Rushing:
1,416 yards
4.4 per carry
58 yard longest run

Receiving:
51 catches
322 yards
6.3 per catch
38 yard long reception

Breakdown:
Yards: Gore < Jackson
Yards per Carry: Gore > Jackson
Long Run: Gore > Jackson
Receptions: Gore > Jackson
Yards per Catch: Gore > Jackson
Long Reception: Gore > Jackson

What did you say about Jackson's stats?

CASE CLOSED
  • dj43

Gore is a very good back, however, he will not go down as the best in history.

Joe Perry was a better runner, power between the tackles and better speed than Gore to get around the corner.

Hugh McElhenny was faster, similar power and a very good pass receiver though he was not asked to do that very often.

Gore may prove to be worthy of HOF honors but hasn't earned it yet. Perry and McElhenny are in the HOF.

That is not to say he is over-rated by this board...or maybe it is. I don't really care, but just wanted to point out some great history of this franchise back in the day.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Overrated

Frank gore
Manny Lawson

Underrated

Spencer
Spikes
Share 49ersWebzone