LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 265 users in the forums

The Most Overated/Underated Niners

Shop Find 49ers gear online
under rated:
1 brian jennings. best long snapper in the league, by many sources
2 manny lawson. yes, hes not a sack demon. but people need to look at him as a whole- hes blocked punts on special teams, hes all over the field on defense. over all he contributes A LOT.
3 justin smith. he plays LE, RE, DT, stands up. HE is the reason our defense works. his versatility allows us to do so much. hes a huge force.

over rated:
1 josh morgan. i love the guy, just gonna say that first of all. but people are all on his bandwagon as if hes had a 1000 yard game. i think he can be great, but he hasnt shown it yet.
2 frank gore. i love him as well, just gonna say that. BUT, forget about his 1600 yard season. what else has he done? 1000 yards in a season is much to get excited about. this year he was INCREDIBLY inconsistant. if you take away his HUGE runs, his average would be around 3.6 yards per carry. i know the o line.. i know the injuries.. im just saying.. an ELITE back gets at least 1200 yards rushing. only done that once..
3 michael lewis. blown coverages. hes very good in the box. he has a lot of value to our team. but hes not a pro bowl safety anymore, not by a long shot.
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Overrated
1. Nate Davis - it's starting to get ridiculous
2. Staley - hang with me here. I like him, but people make him out to be a stud, when he is more of a middle of the road OT.
3. Goldson - promising, but still makes too many mistakes for my taste. Poor in coverage and takes poor angles

Underrated
1. Heitmann - the uproar by some over him is unbearable. The team's best OL
2. Spikes - jelly to Willis' peanut butter, if you get the gist. Very solid performer who looks he has a few good years left him
3. J. Smith - starting to get the love he deserves. Our 2nd best defensive player and the best 34 DE in football - BY FAR

agreed, except for nate davis. davis needs more time to judge one way or another.
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
under rated:
1 brian jennings. best long snapper in the league, by many sources
2 manny lawson. yes, hes not a sack demon. but people need to look at him as a whole- hes blocked punts on special teams, hes all over the field on defense. over all he contributes A LOT.
3 justin smith. he plays LE, RE, DT, stands up. HE is the reason our defense works. his versatility allows us to do so much. hes a huge force.

over rated:
1 josh morgan. i love the guy, just gonna say that first of all. but people are all on his bandwagon as if hes had a 1000 yard game. i think he can be great, but he hasnt shown it yet.
2 frank gore. i love him as well, just gonna say that. BUT, forget about his 1600 yard season. what else has he done? 1000 yards in a season is much to get excited about. this year he was INCREDIBLY inconsistant. if you take away his HUGE runs, his average would be around 3.6 yards per carry. i know the o line.. i know the injuries.. im just saying.. an ELITE back gets at least 1200 yards rushing. only done that once..
3 michael lewis. blown coverages. hes very good in the box. he has a lot of value to our team. but hes not a pro bowl safety anymore, not by a long shot.

Then if you already know that, why even bother to post it? You've just shot down your own argument.

Judging from your posts...these arent even your own opinions. Just those that you've read from "sources" more like sportswriters around the country. Most of which never even see this team play on a weekly basis.
I know I gonna take some heat for some of my picks but oh well:

Overrated (in no praticular order):

1) Michael Robinson-Good ST'er, horrible RB, Good leader
2) Josh Morgan- Maybe it was a sophomore slump, maybe it wasn't
3) David Baas- Guy has been a bum since getting here. either hurt or underperforms.

Underrated ( in no particular order):

1) Eric Heitman- catches alot of grief from zoners but does a good job of making adjustments at the line and is well respected around the league.

2) Takeo Spikes- for an old man,played pretty well in a demanding position.
3) Manny Lawson- lotta zoners dont like him. I do. he is vesatile and pretty fast for a lb.
Originally posted by meccaniner:
Underated
1.Shawntae Spencer
2.Manny Lawson
3.Joe Nedney

Overated
1. Eric Heitmann
2. Michael Lewis
3. Issac Sopaga

Feel free to give some insight... God Bless

NATE DAVIS IS THE MOST OVER RATED NINER. END OF STORY. Okay, I will stop yelling.
Overrated:

Josh Morgan
Michael Lewis
Dashon Goldson
Michael Robinson

Underrated:

Eric Heitmann
Shawntae Spencer
Manny Lawson
Alex Smith
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:
Originally posted by meccaniner:
Underated
1.Shawntae Spencer
2.Manny Lawson
3.Joe Nedney

Overated
1. Eric Heitmann
2. Michael Lewis
3. Issac Sopaga

Feel free to give some insight... God Bless

NATE DAVIS IS THE MOST OVER RATED NINER. END OF STORY. Okay, I will stop yelling.

How is Nate Davis even "rated" without ever taking a snap in the regular season?

I don't agree with any of those players being overrated either; they all do their job fairly well. Michael Lewis being in the top 3 on our team in tackles the past few seasons is not just coincidence. Granted he is limited in coverage, but half of the SS's in football are -- that's why they are there.

Heitmann may be slightly overrated, but he was still one of, if not our best O Lineman this year.

M Rob is definitely underrated.
Originally posted by momoney925:
i think Jason Hill and Delanie Walker are pretty underrated.
overrated i think Nate Davis and Mike Lewis

Completely agree on Hill and Walker. IMO, Walker could be utilized a lot more than he is, especially in 2TE sets.
Overrated.
Heitmann
Clements

Underrated
Robinson
Smith, J

Hated
Roman

Loved
Willis
  • Dino
  • Veteran
overrated - joe staley

underrated - tko

Originally posted by Dino:
overrated - joe staley

underrated - tko

I wouldn't consider TKO underrated. He had success with the Bengals and Bills before coming here. Most people in and around the NFL consider him a stout 2 down linebacker. In addition, he is past his prime. Much of his value rests with his leadership.
Frank Gore is one of the most underrated 49ers of all time IMO.

Nate Davis, Thomas Clayton, Kory Sheets all overrated
[ Edited by valrod33 on Jan 27, 2010 at 7:12 AM ]
Originally posted by E-49er:
I know I gonna take some heat for some of my picks but oh well:

Overrated (in no praticular order):

1) Michael Robinson-Good ST'er, horrible RB, Good leader
2) Josh Morgan- Maybe it was a sophomore slump, maybe it wasn't
3) David Baas- Guy has been a bum since getting here. either hurt or underperforms.

Underrated ( in no particular order):

1) Eric Heitman- catches alot of grief from zoners but does a good job of making adjustments at the line and is well respected around the league.

2) Takeo Spikes- for an old man,played pretty well in a demanding position.
3) Manny Lawson- lotta zoners dont like him. I do. he is vesatile and pretty fast for a lb.

Originally posted by valrod33:

Wow. Kory Sheets is not a Niner. Nate Davis has not played in the regular season yet, and neither has Thomas Clayton.

Hilarious
Originally posted by KknighthawkK_9er:
Originally posted by valrod33:

Wow. Kory Sheets is not a Niner. Nate Davis has not played in the regular season yet, and neither has Thomas Clayton.

Hilarious

exactly and yet you would think these guys are HOF players already based on the stuff posted here
Share 49ersWebzone