There are 255 users in the forums

The Most Overated/Underated Niners

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Overrated
1. Nate Davis - it's starting to get ridiculous
2. Staley - hang with me here. I like him, but people make him out to be a stud, when he is more of a middle of the road OT.
3. Goldson - promising, but still makes too many mistakes for my taste. Poor in coverage and takes poor angles

Underrated
1. Heitmann - the uproar by some over him is unbearable. The team's best OL
2. Spikes - jelly to Willis' peanut butter, if you get the gist. Very solid performer who looks he has a few good years left him
3. J. Smith - starting to get the love he deserves. Our 2nd best defensive player and the best 34 DE in football - BY FAR
[ Edited by Schulzy on Jan 26, 2010 at 8:38 PM ]
Overrated: Jason Hill, Nate Davis
Underrated: Robinson

-9fA
Overated

1) Nate Davis - Clearly
2) Delanie Walker - 2nd rate receiving tight end at best who can't block.
3) Entire WR core - Noone (Crabtree, Morgan, Hill, Jones) has truly emerged from this group yet. At this moment the entire core is potential at best.

Underrated

1) Justin Smith - Dude is a beast, its fun watching him play.
2) Michael Robinson - He certainly has his limits, but he does what the team asks him to do very well.
3) Shawntae Spencer - A solid CB in a not solid secondary.
Eric Heitmann needs to be exposed...Just like Shaun Hill was...
Thank you and God Bless.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Overated: Staley, Heitman

Underated: Michael Robinson, Brian Jennings
Frank Gore is highly underrated. He does not get enough credit in the wins. He's having an off year, missed 3 games, and ran behing below level blocking yet his numbers are still near the league's best.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Frank Gore is highly underrated. He does not get enough credit in the wins. He's having an off year, missed 3 games, and ran behing below level blocking yet his numbers are still near the league's best.

Yes, and it goes without saying who you think is overrated

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

I think Mr. Smith is right where he is. We all have one eyebrow up on his future.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Overrated: Alex Smith

Underrated: Alex Smith

Nicely done.

-9fA

I think Mr. Smith is right where he is. We balance each other out when it comes to him.

-9fA

I think Mr. Smith is right where he is. We balance each other out when it comes to him.

True that, always good locking heads with you.

-9fA
Overrated:

Heitmann - always thought he was a better fit at LG
Walker - I like his skill set but his concentration level sucks
Sopoaga - his enormous talent has never matched his on field production

Underrated:

Lawson - Maybe not the Merriman/Suggs/Ware type...but he is a force in many ways and whether anyone likes to admit it or not, the defense REALLY missed his presence when he was injured.

Spencer - I dont know if anyone else had noticed, but teams altogether just quit throwing his way. When he was allowed to lock up man to man he was as good as it gets in the NFL.

Alex Smith - This is going to cause a stir and I really do not care. But for a kid that missed 2 years to injury, a revolving door at OC, zero receiving threats and a head coach who threw him under the bus...he has comeback better than I thought he would have. The offense clearly received a boost with his presence and ability to scramble and throw the deep pass. He still makes mistakes, but in all honesty so do a s**t load of other QB's in the NFL and most of those guys have had the stability Smith has not been afforded until this offseason (Eli Manning, Jay Cutler and Tony Romo come to mind). For a spoiled 49ers fan who was used to seeing back to back HOF QB's this post doesnt make any sense to you, but for those who actually understand the game of football and what it takes to build a consistent winner, this makes a lot od sense.

BTW...I know Eli has a ring, but I am speaking from someone living in the NY area. That NYG defense and Plaxico Burress were the reasons they won that Superbowl. NYG fans have been calling for Eli's head every year but 2007.

And to take it a step further, every QB that I just named has been questioned by their hometown fans as to whether they are the long term answer at the position. Food for thought while you continue to bash a 25 year old QB with a great deal of positive tools to play the position.
I would put Nate Davis in the overrated category but since it's only morons rating him in the first place I'll ignore it. The guy hasn't taken a snap yet.

Overrated:

Josh Morgan: Possession receiver at best that runs sloppy routes on 80% of the snaps he takes. Too slow.

Eric Heitman: He does not gel very well with either of his guards and consistently fails to pick up blitz reads. The center should be smart and nasty. Heitman in my mind is better suited for guard.

Underrated:

Alex Smith: Put any QB, unless his name is Peyton Manning behind our line and see if they put up better numbers. They wouldn't have. We really don't know what he can do with protection yet but he is way underrated.

Manny Lawson: The guy was amazing this year. He didn't put up big numbers but it got to the point toward the end of the season where teams wouldn't run or screen to his side. Very underrated player.
Overrated: Josh Morgan, Joe Staley

Underrated: Justin Smith, TKO, Spencer
Originally posted by meccaniner:
Underated
1.Shawntae Spencer
2.Manny Lawson
3.Joe Nedney

Overated
1. Eric Heitmann
2. Michael Lewis
3. Issac Sopaga

Feel free to give some insight... God Bless

heitman?? no way.. ive read on a couple sites that hes considered one of the top centers in the league. he needs to be put in the under rated section.
Share 49ersWebzone