LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 296 users in the forums

In My Opinion, I Feel Like the 49ers Need...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
I don't think it's our lack of speed. On defense we have good speed at DL and at LB. Our CBs aren't 4.3 guys, but they have enough speed to be in man-coverage. None of our CBs are guys who should only be playing in cover-2.

We are getting beat on defense because our guys are over-pursuing. They are over-aggressive and not playing smart. Opponents are using our speed against us. Against KC and even Saints and Seattle - there were lot of screens, lot of short passes to RBs, lot of misdirection runs, double-moves, and pump-fakes.

On offense, we do lack speed. We need a RB who can run outside...and I thought Westbrook can do that, but we haven't used him much (really surprising). At WR, with Ted Ginn going down - we don't have anyone with a lot of speed. Crabtree has all-world quickness, but the guy slips and looks a little lost out there.

Snyder or Heitmann (when healthy) needs to be starting next to Davis. I think that will help Davis and both Snyder and Heitmann are quick when compared to Chilo.

But we are playing cover 2, or worse the nickel package, on passing downs. Our coaches have no faith in the speed of our corners or our safeties. Would you put Clements or Spencer in man coverage with no safety help? No way! Our coaches give those corners a ten yard cushion and safety help.

Yes, over pursuit is a problem. Why is the over pursuit occurring? I think our linemen and rushers know they need to rush the throw and do it quickly or receivers will get open. It's a recurring theme in our games. Opponents get some initial passing game going due to soft coverage, our rushers then press the issue, and then we get scorched on screen passes.
Our WR's are real slow. The slowest in the league. But on the plus side our TE's are among the fastest in the league. Our DB's aren't as slow as much as stupid. They jump route after route after route always thinking they will get the int... That gets you 3 to 5 steps behind the WR in a foot race against some 4.3 guy. You aren't going to catch him at the NFL level. Our DB's just continually put themselves in real bad positions by jumping too many routes. I don't know if it's bad coaching or what? But if they played routes honest (which they rarely do) I don't think they are as slow as you think.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Our WR's are real slow. The slowest in the league. But on the plus side our TE's are among the fastest in the league. Our DB's aren't as slow as much as stupid. They jump route after route after route always thinking they will get the int... That gets you 3 to 5 steps behind the WR in a foot race against some 4.3 guy. You aren't going to catch him at the NFL level. Our DB's just continually put themselves in real bad positions by jumping too many routes. I don't know if it's bad coaching or what? But if they played routes honest (which they rarely do) I don't think they are as slow as you think.

It could be they think they have safety help? I know the double move by Williams in Seattle there was supposed to be a safety over the top. Some cover schemes are designed to let the corner jump the route, its tough to tell who blew the assignment on those a lot of times. Clearly the secondary doesn't have it together, blown coverages are pretty bush league for a very experienced secondary.
Originally posted by patty_t:

It could be they think they have safety help? I know the double move by Williams in Seattle there was supposed to be a safety over the top. Some cover schemes are designed to let the corner jump the route, its tough to tell who blew the assignment on those a lot of times. Clearly the secondary doesn't have it together, blown coverages are pretty bush league for a very experienced secondary.

They blow coverages all day long and jump too many routes and lack Safety help. Our Safety's both are run stopper guys best used around the line of scrimmage. They are both very vulnerable in the passing game. That's part of the problem. I honestly don't think our CB's would look as bad if we had Safety help in the passing game. Like Pittsburgh for example where Polamalu cleans up a lot of messes. He makes that secondary better than it really is. We don't have anybody like that.
Double post.
[ Edited by patty_t on Sep 29, 2010 at 1:07 AM ]
Originally posted by patty_t:

They blow coverages all day long and jump too many routes and lack Safety help. Our Safety's both are run stopper guys best used around the line of scrimmage. They are both very vulnerable in the passing game. That's part of the problem. I honestly don't think our CB's would look as bad if we had Safety help in the passing game. Like Pittsburgh for example where Polamalu cleans up a lot of messes. He makes that secondary better than it really is. We don't have anybody like that.

Polamalu is fast
Our lack of speed can be blamed on Scotty McClue-man. I believe he was quoted on several occasions: "football is a big person's sport".

The bigger the better...screw speed. That was our draft philosophy for several years. Now we got plenty of poundage. What do we do with it?
Originally posted by trellblaze:
Our lack of speed can be blamed on Scotty McClue-man. I believe he was quoted on several occasions: "football is a big person's sport".

The bigger the better...screw speed. That was our draft philosophy for several years. Now we got plenty of poundage. What do we do with it?

Run up the middle 3 times and then punt...
VD is our fastest guy so why can they run a play were he can run a deep route since hes gotten better on catching the ball

Correction, it's run, run, false start or holding penalty against us, overthrown Alex Smith pass, then punt.

Thanks. Now I'm depressed again. I was excited by the Raye Release and then you had to go and bring me back to reality. Damn Niner fans...

Seriously though, I think inserting Taylor Mays into the lineup would go a long way for the overall defensive speed - overlapping effect. Players in his proximity would require less speed to do their jobs. I also think a shut-down corner is more important for us in the up-coming draft than a QB. When was the last time we had one of those? Sanders? I just had a flashback of R.W. McQuarters and Mike Rumph...
Originally posted by bigmike55:

Correction, it's run, run, false start or holding penalty against us, overthrown Alex Smith pass, then punt.

One more detail you missed. Alex Smith gets hit by 5 defenders (cause they blitzed) on that overthrown completion. Somehow Chilo was responsible for all 5 defenders getting through...

IMO - Chilo = Kwame Brown 1.1
[ Edited by trellblaze on Sep 29, 2010 at 1:48 AM ]
Speed is overrated, Panties are debated.
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
Speed is overrated, Panties are debated.

Tell that to Deion Sanders...
Do anyone remember when we played Atlanta last year. Roddy white caught a screen and shook Nate Clements and sprinted for a td. And Nate and another one of our slow defenders were chasing. But here is the kicker... Another wr of atalnta chased both Nate Clements and the other defender down who was chasing riddy white I'm like WTF
Share 49ersWebzone