LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 207 users in the forums

In My Opinion, I Feel Like the 49ers Need...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by Hitman49:
JAVID BEST WOULD LOOK PRETTY NICE IN NINERS UNI...

HE WOULD BE A STEAL IF WE COULD PICK HIM UP IN THE 2ND ROUND.

I agree, he could return kicks and be our #3 RB, I know a lot of niner fans want to keep MRob for his special teams play, but a speedy RB would be a nice luxury to have, MRob is a nice player, but his upside is gone and he is not a homerun hitter on offense

Or we can carry 4 RB's like some teams do and still keep our ST's ace.

This
  • pw52
  • Veteran
Im gonna wait to see what happens until the senior bowl, but i really like what Dexter McCluster could bring to the team. Can you imagine this guy returning punts and kicks, and also as a change up from Frank Gore. He looks very similar to Chris Johnson, the only downfall i see is his size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZNCPOMuXhA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMigkugZafc&feature=related
Originally posted by pw52:
Im gonna wait to see what happens until the senior bowl, but i really like what Dexter McCluster could bring to the team. Can you imagine this guy returning punts and kicks, and also as a change up from Frank Gore. He looks very similar to Chris Johnson, the only downfall i see is his size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZNCPOMuXhA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMigkugZafc&feature=related

I was watching the Senior Bowl practice coverage today on NFL Network, and Dexter McCluster was simply lighting it up! Mike Mayock said he believes McCluster is a good mix of Percy Harvin and Darren Sproles.

Originally posted by PTulini:
MORE SPEED!

I feel like that's one of the main things the 49ers are missing. New Orleans has Reggie Bush and Minnesota has Percy Harvin. We need that speedy, home run threat. Someone who can stretch the field.

I guess with the additions of Ted Ginn Jr. and Kyle Williams, we are in good shape now.
i thought ted ginn and vernon davis was pretty fast. haha. what you mean to say is, speed at RB, right? if so, i agree. i was hoping for Best :(
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
i thought ted ginn and vernon davis was pretty fast. haha. what you mean to say is, speed at RB, right? if so, i agree. i was hoping for Best :(

Originally, yes I was.
MORE SPEED!

I feel like that's one of the main things the 49ers are missing. New Orleans has Reggie Bush and Minnesota has Percy Harvin. We need that speedy, home run threat. Someone who can stretch the field.

I guess with the additions of Ted Ginn Jr. and Kyle Williams, we are in good shape now.

Ah P, I like your style. Going back in time to relive the thoughts of impressionable 49er Internet minds concerning this subject is something I have done, too. Sometimes its good to see the thought processes back when compared to what actually transpired.

I agree that both Ginn and Williams bring speed. But so does Mays of course, but how about these cats?

Bowman--Take a look at how fast he is at shredding blocks and attacking the ball. I see a Willis clone at times. He definitely faster than Spikes so we improved there, too.

Dixon--This kid is fast, really fast, for his size. IMO, he's faster and stronger than Coffee, at least in pads from what I have see of both. Again, more speed and power for our arsenal.

Vann--Enough said. That lil' guy is going to Wow some folks. He is the true definition of PR/KR speed. I look forward to his development specifically in ST.

I have two others as well, A. Davis and M. Iupati. Speed, Tico? Yup, foot speed. I can see these guys being able to move quickly out of their stances to the next level so in essence, the fatties have speed, too. OK, I am reaching, but you get my drift.

So the bottom line P, is the fact we certainly filled that need and then some.

• PaulW
  • Veteran
to win
I think Singletary added plenty of speed in Ginn, Williams, Vann. I also agree Dixon's a lot faster than many seem to think...he's got a good burst for a guy his size and runs with a real purpose. I think I liked his selection (especially in 6th rd) as much as any other in the draft...he'll be a freakin' beast for us, especially with our much-improved OL.
This again.

First of all, Reggie Bush is bar none the most overrated player in the league. Personally, I think the constant hype surrounding his name is just critics trying to save face for calling him the "next Gale Sayers" in spite of the fact that he so far has been a bust. The way he's talked up (especially around here) you would think that he takes it to the house everytime he touches to the ball. I'll save you a little guesswork by linking his stats:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=9588

Sure, you could do worse in the league, but we should still hold off until Bush has an above average season before anointing him "the one." And while I'll give you Percy Harvin you have to remember that for every one of him, there's a Donte Stallworth.

Players who are very fast and not much else.

With that said, having a team of world class sprinters isn't suddenly going to make you a Super Bowl contender. More than speed, we need ability at skill positions. That's what we were lacking most, and I think we've done a good job of addressing that this offseason. Our receivers (generally) had no problems getting open last year. We just had a sorry O-line that was so soft it couldn't block a newborn baby. As a result, Hill/Smith took a lot of sacks, hurries etc. And Frank had a tough time finding running lanes. That's not a speed issue, that's a competency issue.

Now if you're talking speed in the secondary, you have an argument. Specifically at safety. Now that we have Mays and a healthy Nate coming back, I think our secondary will be fine.

Of course only time will tell.

Originally posted by AC49er:
MORE SPEED!

Both teams have speed, and I feel like that's one of the main things the 49ers are missing. New Orleans has Reggie Bush and Minnesota has Percy Harvin. We need that speedy, home run threat. Someone who can stretch the field.

JAHVID BEST!!!!!

We have a WINNER!!!

I was so hoping that Best would be a Niner. I think we could really use a speed back that can be a nasty mismatch in and out of the backfield.

I don't like our CB depth outside of Clements, Spencer, Brown either...
  • fly15
  • Veteran
A new QB
Originally posted by fly15:
A new QB

Who is/was available thats better than A.Smith?

D.McNabb was questionably better, but he would have to learn an entire offense, something he has had the luxury of avoiding for his entire career. No Dice. If for only financial reason chose Smith.

And Bulger, please!

I'm not expecting a Pro Bowler, but a serviceable qb that the team embraces will get us to the playoffs.
Originally posted by baltien:
This again.

First of all, Reggie Bush is bar none the most overrated player in the league. Personally, I think the constant hype surrounding his name is just critics trying to save face for calling him the "next Gale Sayers" in spite of the fact that he so far has been a bust. The way he's talked up (especially around here) you would think that he takes it to the house everytime he touches to the ball. I'll save you a little guesswork by linking his stats:

Sure, you could do worse in the league, but we should still hold off until Bush has an above average season before anointing him "the one." And while I'll give you Percy Harvin you have to remember that for every one of him, there's a Donte Stallworth.

With that said, having a team of world class sprinters isn't suddenly going to make you a Super Bowl contender. More than speed, we need ability at skill positions. That's what we were lacking most, and I think we've done a good job of addressing that this offseason. Our receivers (generally) had no problems getting open last year. We just had a sorry O-line that was so soft it couldn't block a newborn baby. As a result, Hill/Smith took a lot of sacks, hurries etc. And Frank had a tough time finding running lanes. That's not a speed issue, that's a competency issue.

Now if you're talking speed in the secondary, you have an argument. Specifically at safety. Now that we have Mays and a healthy Nate coming back, I think our secondary will be fine.

I agree, why do people keep bringing up this "speed" thing?

I thought this debate was settled when we drafted Crabtree and the Raiders drafted "speed". Who's the better PLAYER?
So far, obviously its Crabtree, not even close.
Not only that but Crabtree got wide open down field on several occasions because of his burst and because he is just GOOD.
How many times did that track star the Raiders drafted get wide open down field last year?
We now have Ginn, we'll see how much better he is than Crabtree because of his world class speed. We'll see; and for the 99th time it will be demonstrated that good football players leave track stars in the dust.

I agree with the above poster about Reggie Bush, and lets see how much "speed" Percy Harvin has without Bret Favre throwing him passes. Something gives me the feeling he will be much "slower" without him.

Devin Hester, Bo Jackson, Chris Johnson, Vernon Davis, there are others, but there are not too many players who I can think of that one fears so much because of their speed. Those above 4 players were/are so fast, so athletic, that you fear them mostly because of their athleticism.

As I recall, Jerry Rice had plenty of long touchdown runs, and almost never got caught from behind. I'd rather have Rice over any super athlete "speed" player. Speed is the last of our teams problems.
Originally posted by baltien:
This again.

I'm sure the Saints don't mind those 50+ receptions and 8 TDs a season... and the bit of space he might open up for the other playmakers on the team.
Share 49ersWebzone