There are 249 users in the forums

What we need to compete in these playoffs!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ninerforyears:
Originally posted by excelsior:
Of the four teams that played in the playoffs today, the 49ers played against two of them this season: MINN and IND.

Although we lost both by clsoe margins, it is interesting that our QB's average rating was 84.6, while P. Manning and Favre averaged 82.1. Although MINN and IND have excellent defenses, ours is good too. Compared to what Manning and Favre (future HOFers) did, it is heartening that our QBs, Hill and Smith, performed at the same level.

I refer you to my post I posted Ooooochy, Koooooochy, Poooooh! Because it is like frying chicken wings hoping to eat steak!

That's right, I remember you now. what I posted there still holds true.
You must be some new kind of idiot....
Watching the playoffs I've come to one conclusion: We are not that far away from competing at a high level. The days of one or two teams dominating the league are over. Everybody looked very beatable. There are no Steelers of the 70s, Niners of the 80s or Dallas of the Nineties.

TWO BIG "IFs":

If we can solidify our offensive line to pass protect and open even a small hole for Gore we'll compete. Thank God for Solari.

If Alex is just good (not great) behind a solid Oline we'll compete.

WE have all the weapons we need, a probowl TE, a probowl RB and a super star in the making named Crabtree. Our Defense is solid, bends but doesnt break and allows few points.

I'm not saying we are in a position to dominate, but if the two "IFs" come true we should be in every game and win most.

IMO
someday
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
After watching the playoffs games today it is apparent that we are not in these teams class! First their quaterbacks were lights out and we do not have the quaterback on our roster to compete on that level. Those quaterbacks were throwing that football like they were born to play in big games! Our quaterback just threw his first 300yd game this season and if you think he is ready to play on their level. Let me slap you out of alex and wonderland. Sanchez was a rookie and threw for 300yds today. Okay I got the answer. Trade for Mcnabb all he needs is a strong running game to take the pressure off him and he'll get us to the nfc championship game. second get the best play makers you can find in the first round with and emphasis on speed. Trade alex smith to the redskins and shaun hill to the rams. use those draft picks to address the offensive line. with our second and third round address the secondary. Whola were are ready to make a playoff run!

And this?! You must be JOKING. Trading AS to the Redskins and SH to the Rams? f**king clueless.

Why, why do we need SMith and Hill if we can get McNabb. Smith held this organization back long enough. Time to play some playoff football. Come on down McNabb. Pipe dream...but hey, it is a possibility albeit a slim one.

F**k McNabb, I dont want that choke artist on this team! That goes for Vick too!

If Mcnabb and Vick represent choke artists; then Alex and Hill are Leonardo da Vinci and Pablo Picasso. Your type of thinking is why this team has not sniffed the play-offs in years, my friend. It's good to be a fan, but it's time to win!
After watching the playoffs games today it is apparent that we are not in these teams class! First their quaterbacks were lights out and we do not have the quaterback on our roster to compete on that level. Those quaterbacks were throwing that football like they were born to play in big games! Our quaterback just threw his first 300yd game this season and if you think he is ready to play on their level. Let me slap you out of alex and wonderland. Sanchez was a rookie and threw for 300yds today. Okay I got the answer. Trade for Mcnabb all he needs is a strong running game to take the pressure off him and he'll get us to the nfc championship game. second get the best play makers you can find in the first round with and emphasis on speed. Trade alex smith to the redskins and shaun hill to the rams. use those draft picks to address the offensive line. with our second and third round address the secondary. Whola were are ready to make a playoff run!

Al Davis?
is that you?

Originally posted by greywolf447:

So, we will address our OL with a 7th and 5th round pick? Interesting...I hope our scouting department is up for that task.
I think the reason that some pro or neutral Smith posts are so vehement is that anti-Smith posters seem not to establish that they look deeper into a successful football team than its quarterback, the most visible player on the field. Football is a system. QBs with good OLs have more success than those that don't.

If Smith isn't Peyton Manning, all the more reason to get as dominant an OL as possible until the team can find a long-term answer at QB, which doesn't appear to be at least until the 2011 season. Once we get a dominant OL, that will be the time for Smith to prove himself or to bring in somebody new like Nate.
I think we showed already that we are very close... We can hang in there with most of these teams and we proved that this year. The woulda, coulda, shoulda's matter not as we still lost but we are very, Very close... We are not lacking as much as people think. Look at the Saints, there were 7-9 in 07, 8-8 in 08 and 13-3 this season and now going to the Superbowl. We are a couple players away from being a very good team. Oh, and that defense is what kept the Saints in that game vrs the Vikes. Even though the Vikes killed the Saints in time of pos, yards and about every other cat the turnovers killed them. I think our defense can be like that. Shore up the O-Line and get us a speedster WR, PR guy and lets see what we can do.

One big thing that stuck out for me with yesterday was how Minnesota had 5 turnovers, but was still in the game till the very end. Good teams make up for deficencies which the other team creates. Unfortunately, we are far from a team that could screw up that royally and still nearly win a game.

In 2009, we had to play a nearly pperfect game to even compete with decent teams. When we flub and make many mistakes (i.e. Philly and Atlanta), we get blown out of the water. This is where the biggest problem will probably come in 2010. Our offense may not be able to make up for a weak defensive performance and our defense may not be able to recover from too many offensive turnovers.

Can we play near perfect games and win? Sure, but it will not happen very often...
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
Originally posted by ninerfan818:

And this?! You must be JOKING. Trading AS to the Redskins and SH to the Rams? f**king clueless.

Why, why do we need SMith and Hill if we can get McNabb. Smith held this organization back long enough. Time to play some playoff football. Come on down McNabb. Pipe dream...but hey, it is a possibility albeit a slim one.

F**k McNabb, I dont want that choke artist on this team! That goes for Vick too![/quote]

LOL!!!!!!!!! Ya, Alex Smith never chokes.
MAKE IT STOP! There are SO MANY Alex Smith threads it's unbelievable! Just GET OVER IT. ALEX IS GOING TO START IN 2010!

Yeah and then the Seahawks are gonna win the NFC West, with 2 QB's holding 2 teams down Alex with us and Lion-heart with Zona.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Serious. The Vikes were LUCKY to beat us.

and the Colts score was 18-14

what we need is more points than the other team

What we need is this:

1. Defense: check
2. Running Game: check
3. QB with ice in his veins and football smart: undeclared
Share 49ersWebzone