LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 278 users in the forums

our safeties get no respect

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Goldson may of been statistically the worst in coverage but OVERALL he is good. He is a really hard hitter and was everywhere towards the end of the season....so was brooks. These 2 young plaayers will be good if not great.

Roman is a good backup...although not a playmaker.

Lewis is awesome against the run but not too good against the pass. If we get a FS in the draft or FA we should move Goldson to SS and hopefully the fast Safety to FS. Either way, we need a safety to backup/start and eventually take over for Lewis in pass coverage OR if he goes down with another concussion.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
21st ranked pass defense isn't going to earn any safety any respect. Pass coverage is still a liability for the safeties on this team.

Bingo.

We gave up huge yardage through the air and only tightened once we were in the red zone. Maybe it's a tradeoff between giving up yardage through the air versus yardage on the ground? I'm not sure.

I will say though that the recent motions of finding a replacement for Lewis are not because of his poor play, but because of the recent concussions that he has suffered.

-9fA

The defense was great when it came to not giving up TD's through the air and were ok on the ground also. In the end i'd take less points scored over the total yards anytime.
Goldson didn't impress me till like week 10. You could see though, the end of the season he started to get it.

Roman-- did good as a backup, f**ked up a few times, but I think he will have more trade value this off season.

Lewis-- He looks really slow, and cant cover anyone...
Originally posted by elguapo:
Goldson may of been statistically the worst in coverage but OVERALL he is good. He is a really hard hitter and was everywhere towards the end of the season....so was brooks. These 2 young plaayers will be good if not great.

Roman is a good backup...although not a playmaker.

Lewis is awesome against the run but not too good against the pass. If we get a FS in the draft or FA we should move Goldson to SS and hopefully the fast Safety to FS. Either way, we need a safety to backup/start and eventually take over for Lewis in pass coverage OR if he goes down with another concussion.

Touche

I hope this is not shades of Killa Keith and Brandon Moore

Its about damn time those two broke out. Goldson always shows glimpses. When he puts it all together, along with Taylor Mays ;), it will be scary.

Same with Brooks. Sing took him under his wing. He's still young and when we didn't take him in the 3rd round in the supplemental, there was an uproar.

Good thing the Stupid Bungals played him at the wrong position and gave up on him.

Remember folks, he had arthroscopic surgery in the season so the late season push was probably when his knee was just getting healthy. The kid is a beast.
Roman is hot garbage!
I'd take Goldson any day. Not so hot on Lewis though.
i wanna see goldson next yr with his 2nd yr as a starter to hold judgement. dude seemed to get it after that cards gm. as for lewis its time to get that guy who can possibly take his spot, maybe a myron rolle depending how he does in the senior bowl and combine. i just know somebody else better be wearing 26 than freaking roman, dude single handidly cost us gms his stay here
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by insanemike27:
Our safeties are one of our better squads out on the field, they literally were all over the place. For those who still believe we need to replace Lewis and get rid of Roman. Look at these stats.

Mark Roman had an excellent season as a role player, he accounted for 46 solo takles, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble and an interception. Does anyone remember when he returned the interception, he showed some nice moves.

Michael Lewis had a similar season to Roman's. He looked comfortable out on the field. He had 71 solo tackles, 1 sack, 2 forced fumbles and an interception.

Dashon Goldson had a pro bowl year and I don't care what anyone else thinks. He was second on our team with 76 solo tackles and also had 2 sacks, 3 forced fumbles and 4 interceptions. This guy is a monster and he is only starting to get comfortable playing with in our system.

So our safeties combined for all together 193 tackles 12 forced turnovers and 4 sacks on the season.

LOL Goldson was statistically the worst coverage safeety in the league. As in dead last better than NOBODY. I'm at work so i can't look up Lewis and Roman. But I'm betting they too are in the red in overall performance.

You have to also look at the plays they give up. Can't just look at the few plays they made.

What stats are you talking about? I'd like to know where you would find that kind of stat. Link?
Lewis is a good runstopper but he struggles in coverage. Goldson improved towards the end of the season and if he can stay healthy should be much improved next season. Roman played well at backup but he is garbage nonetheless. He is not a playmaker and if he plays regularly will make a crucial mistake that will cost us a game. We should draft a safety and replace him. He has no trade value and should be cut!!!
Our DB's don't make plays when it counts. Just like those who ignore Alex's growth vs. the games we could have won when it was on the line. There really is no clutch on this team.[/indent]

Our safeties are one of our better squads out on the field, they literally were all over the place. For those who still believe we need to replace Lewis and get rid of Roman. Look at these stats.

Mark Roman had an excellent season as a role player, he accounted for 46 solo takles, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble and an interception. Does anyone remember when he returned the interception, he showed some nice moves.

Michael Lewis had a similar season to Roman's. He looked comfortable out on the field. He had 71 solo tackles, 1 sack, 2 forced fumbles and an interception.

Dashon Goldson had a pro bowl year and I don't care what anyone else thinks. He was second on our team with 76 solo tackles and also had 2 sacks, 3 forced fumbles and 4 interceptions. This guy is a monster and he is only starting to get comfortable playing with in our system.

So our safeties combined for all together 193 tackles 12 forced turnovers and 4 sacks on the season.

LOL Goldson was statistically the worst coverage safeety in the league. As in dead last better than NOBODY. I'm at work so i can't look up Lewis and Roman. But I'm betting they too are in the red in overall performance.

You have to also look at the plays they give up. Can't just look at the few plays they made.

agreed. Goldson and Lewis were 2 of the top 5 WORST cover safeties in the NFL, as well as in the top tier of S in missed tackles.

Mark Roman was our best overall S this year, which is really sad. our S cant cover crap, and everyone calling for a Goldson pro bowl is totally ignorant to what he really did. theyre just basing everything off the cardinals monday night game.
Originally posted by Niners99:

agreed. Goldson and Lewis were 2 of the top 5 WORST cover safeties in the NFL, as well as in the top tier of S in missed tackles.

Mark Roman was our best overall S this year, which is really sad. our S cant cover crap, and everyone calling for a Goldson pro bowl is totally ignorant to what he really did. theyre just basing everything off the cardinals monday night game.

No were not, and you thinking that was his only good game makes you more ignorrant than I am. The guy was solid I thought from mid season on, when he started to put it all together. He may have not looked great in every game from mid season on but thought he still did a good job out there. Some of our coverage problems weren't just the play of our players but also related to our scheme. Tell me why in the Eagles game would you put Bly on Jackson? You know that is a mismatch. Spencer should have been covering him with Goldson sitting on top. Another reason for our pass coverage woes weren't even from our safety or cb play but from our linebackers. While I thought patrick willis did a good job covering, I saw Spikes get beat numerous times this season. I saw Haralson get beat numerous times this season. I also saw Manny Lawson get beat a few times this season. The only thing I thought Goldson did a poor job with was the angles in which he took to tackle the ball carriers, so in conlusion most of our woes in pass coverage came from our linebackers and not our secondary.
[ Edited by insanemike27 on Jan 25, 2010 at 5:21 AM ]
I had such high hopes for Goldson, and I thought he was going to have a pro bowl year, but if you are intelligent enough to watch the games closely you can see that he's overrated on the zone
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

What stats are you talking about? I'd like to know where you would find that kind of stat. Link?

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=S&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
They get no respect becuase they suck.
Share 49ersWebzone