There are 165 users in the forums

Chilo At R.T?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
Bad feet and no cojones= backup G.

yes, because we know EXACTLY what Chilo is capable of already.

top 40 pick overall, only 21 starts into his career, and you already know all he will amount to is a backup G?

[ Edited by Niners99 on Jan 24, 2010 at 01:29:16 ]

He can't even play Guard. How is going to play Tackle?
Originally posted by NinerGM:
OG is easier to play than OT. Rachal struggled at OG so putting him at tackle would only create a catastrophe out of an already bad situation.

He's got a bad first step at the RG position. Instead of taking off on his strong side he takes off on his weak. No way you put that on RT. It's bad enough that he is playing RG but like you said it would get our QB killed. Now SOME of this could be attributed to a certain someone calling the wrong protection schemes which gets everyone tentatively off the ball. On Run plays they aren't so tentative. They know what they have to do and they go out and knock heads together.

But on Passing downs they hesitate more. Which allows the Blitzers to get into the backfield. I truly hope that Solari has been sitting at home as much as one can during the Offseason and doing nothing but watch film. I don't doubt he will, but there has to be a time and point where the OL Coach just says enough is enough. First day of work is the right time for him to do that.

But nope I would not even think about moving Rachal to Tackle. Hell he may never again be a candidate to swing out to Tackle. Not after Foerskin got finished with him anyway.

~Ceadder
Chilo has his hands full at RG...let him see if he can master that position. The fix for RT is to draft one...Bulaga, Anthony Davis with the 13th pick. Then, in the 2nd rd, draft Pouncey...best C in the country, but a guy who can also play OG and RT. Those two picks will give new OL Coach Solari some fresh blood to work with, along w/Chilo, Staley & Co.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
He has shown bits and pieces of some quality. We won't know for sure until Solari gets a chance to work with him. But moving him to RT, at this stage of his career would not be helpful to him or us. We need quality on the RT. It would be nice to get Davis and Iupati to shore up the line or Davis/Bulaga/Williams and then Carter. Or perhaps Saffold/Carter. I don't really care as long as the make a serious effort to get some serious help on the OLine this draft. But RAchal at RT - No.

This I agree with.
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
Bad feet and no cojones= backup G.

this
Lets see, play RG and get beat consistantly to the inside or . . . play RT and get beat consistantly to the inside AND outside, umm.
I have seen Chilo seriously maul some defenseive players, but then gets beat at the most inoppportune times. I think at this point he has Sing's approval, thereforeI am guessing he remains the starter. Let's hope it might have been a coaching issue, where Solari can finally light a fire under this guys behind...
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
too slow, bad feet and instincts, not athletic enough

I don't know about that. He's got talent and it shows on some plays even during his bad games.

My problem with moving him to tackle is that you take away the side to side help a guard and center get. An NFL offensive tackle doesn't always get outside blocking help and there is more room for a DE or OLB to rush the QB. In the end it could happen but I hope not this year.
This fool cant even play guard yet?

He's like a human Turnstile in pass blocking!
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

He can't even play Guard. How is going to play Tackle?

That's a BIG 10-4 buddy!!!
Originally posted by stevenking57:
PLEASE don't flame me, BUT when Chilo was first drafted by us, there was talk of him playing at R.T. at some point. Do any of you think he MIGHT play better there at least as a back-up? Could he be better than Synder NOW?

Dude they tried that at his first training camp. Didn't you see that he could not pass block at right guard, now you want to make him the right tackle! Bad idea you lose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
OG is easier to play than OT. Rachal struggled at OG so putting him at tackle would only create a catastrophe out of an already bad situation.

He's got a bad first step at the RG position. Instead of taking off on his strong side he takes off on his weak. No way you put that on RT. It's bad enough that he is playing RG but like you said it would get our QB killed. Now SOME of this could be attributed to a certain someone calling the wrong protection schemes which gets everyone tentatively off the ball. On Run plays they aren't so tentative. They know what they have to do and they go out and knock heads together.

But on Passing downs they hesitate more. Which allows the Blitzers to get into the backfield. I truly hope that Solari has been sitting at home as much as one can during the Offseason and doing nothing but watch film. I don't doubt he will, but there has to be a time and point where the OL Coach just says enough is enough. First day of work is the right time for him to do that.

But nope I would not even think about moving Rachal to Tackle. Hell he may never again be a candidate to swing out to Tackle. Not after Foerskin got finished with him anyway.

~Ceadder

Chilo has been inconsistent to this point, but showed significant improvement down the stretch last year. Considering he left USC before he was probably ready, I think we should give him a little more time to fulfill his potential. Solari actually specified him and staley as young players with lots of upside.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by stevenking57:
PLEASE don't flame me, BUT when Chilo was first drafted by us, there was talk of him playing at R.T. at some point. Do any of you think he MIGHT play better there at least as a back-up? Could he be better than Synder NOW?

NO...

The guy gets beat inside where the space is contained...you think he would be any better is open space??
Share 49ersWebzone