LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

Re-tooled Q, could this become the best SF Defensive Unit Ever?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think it's a legitimate claim that the '09 defense was largely responsible for the 8-8 finish and was essentially keeping a floundering offense in striking distance while they found their legs in most games. In some contests, they exhibited true game changing capabilities.

Knowing that there have been some great defenses put together during the Super Bowl years, the team was still always more noted for their offensive prowess and always will be. Not-so in this new version of the franchise and no matter how less-inept the offense can strive to become, this will still always be a defensive oriented team. That means that Singletary is banking his job on this being one of the best there ever was.

So where does it rank now?

The team that I saw the most of as a young fan was the 94 team, and with all the free agents Mr. DeBartolo hired for a big ol' hayride to Steve Young's Super Bowl Party, that defense was crazy-good. Like a bunch of aging-but-still-pretty-good Ray Lewis's out there was all I remembered. Ken Norton, Gary Plummer, Rickey Jackson, Tim Harris and sh!t I might have seen Richard Dent out there for a second. It took them a little while to get going, but then Deion jumped on board and they started obliterating people. Damn that was fun.

[ Edited by jesserdumas2 on Jan 26, 2010 at 15:49:31 ]
Is Patrick Willis the best 49ers defensive player ever ?
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:

Good Question!
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:

Good Question!

If he continues his high play, yes.
best ever? '84 Niners?

C'Mon Man!
Best 49ers defense unit ever? Are you freaking kidding me? This defense was ranked 15th in the NFL. To call this the greatest 49ers defense would be an insult to the great defenses of the 80s and 90s. The 84 defense put this defense to shame. The 49ers were ranked 1 overall in defense twice in the 90s. To call this 15th ranked defense the best 49ers defense ever might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on here.
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
Best 49ers defense unit ever? Are you freaking kidding me? This defense was ranked 15th in the NFL. To call this the greatest 49ers defense would be an insult to the great defenses of the 80s and 90s. The 84 defense put this defense to shame. The 49ers were ranked 1 overall in defense twice in the 90s. To call this 15th ranked defense the best 49ers defense ever might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on here.

This, not very good at all compared to some of our other ones.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by amir_tn80:

This, not very good at all compared to some of our other ones.

Exactly. Not even remotely close. We used to LIVE in the oppositions backfield and if they DID catch a pass, they got their block knocked off! Teams feared playing us b/c of what we could do them both on offense AND defense. Good teams these days get excited about playing our defense - we have many weaknesses and certainly don't intimidate anyone. We have one pro bowler on defense and let's face it, the defense is DESIGNED around him to make him a star.

[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 21, 2010 at 19:47:10 ]

In a word.... NO. Ronnie Lott was the greatest defensive 49er player ever. Let PW win a few titles, play in several pro bowls, and be as feared as Lott before you even try and put him in that category.
Not even close.

The 88/89 defenses had it all. You had vets like Lott, Wright, Turner, Fuller, Kugler, Carter, Millen & Burt along with the youngsters from the great 86 draft including Roberts, Haley, f*gan, McKyer & Griffen and even rookies like Romanowski, Holt & Chet Brooks. Both units were top 5
No
Share 49ersWebzone