LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

49ers...New York Jets SI article on draft Picks..

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ether:
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:
I wish we would have kept our 2nd round pick last year and drafted Shone Greene instead of that bust Coffee in the 3rd.

How could you call Coffee a bust? Does anyone remember the utter failure our offense was before Alex Smith replaced Shaun Hill? We couldn't even get a 1st down. Every defense was cheating up near the line in a eery recreation of the Jim Hostler season, stuffing Gore AND Coffee. He looked pretty good when he had decent blocking.

+1

At the beginning of the season, Gore was held to gains of 30 yards, 4 yards (injury) and 32 yards in 3 of his first 4 games. Then Alex comes in and boom, 91 yards, 83 yards, 104 yards in consecutive weeks. He finishes with 452 yards in the last 4 games.

The problem was Shaun Hill and the defenses stacking the box with him not being able to take advantage of 1 on 1 coverage downfield.

Agree, defenses had no respect for our pass so they blitzed the run.
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
Who all watched the draft when the jets picked revis? All i remember is all the pundits moaning about him being picked way too early. that he was a 2nd or 3rd rounder.
I totally remember that. When he was drafted all the announcers were saying it was a reach. It goes to show you that you never know what your gonna get on the field. Raiders like to reach but they make it look bad. Real bad.
I wish we would have kept our 2nd round pick last year and drafted Shone Greene instead of that bust Coffee in the 3rd.

LOL bust?????? rookie running back with s**tty 0-line... cool
Originally posted by Niners99:

well we got a top 17 pick from that 2nd rounder....so we will likely have a chance to draft a player better than Shonn Greene now.

The only guy that would = Greene might be Spiller. But I dont see us wasting another 1st day pick on an RB when we spent a #3 on one last year and we already have Gore.

I hear ya about using a 1st day pcik on a RB but I would do it for Spiller. This guy is fast and can also return kicks and punts. He would also provide flexibility as our 3rd down back because Coffee has no hands. He also has enough shiftiness to work out of the shotgun/spread if we choose to go that route.
  • dj43

Don't give up on Coffee yet. He had limited opportunities and when he did, it was when the line was playing at its worst. I believe he will yet prove to be a very good runner. Raye/Foerster asked him to change his running style to accomdate their put-a-foot-in-the-ground-and-go style. They drafted a very good runner and then spent 6 weeks making him change his running style. If they didn't like the way he ran successfully in college, why did they pick him?

I say, let him go back to his college style, which fits better with the gap and man styles that Solari has used in the past, and see if he doesn't blossum into a legit #2 RB behind Gore.
Originally posted by dj43:

Don't give up on Coffee yet. He had limited opportunities and when he did, it was when the line was playing at its worst. I believe he will yet prove to be a very good runner. Raye/Foerster asked him to change his running style to accomdate their put-a-foot-in-the-ground-and-go style. They drafted a very good runner and then spent 6 weeks making him change his running style. If they didn't like the way he ran successfully in college, why did they pick him?

I say, let him go back to his college style, which fits better with the gap and man styles that Solari has used in the past, and see if he doesn't blossum into a legit #2 RB behind Gore.

Agreed, well put.
While our early picks need to be consistently better,we've done well with the later rounds..I have a good feeling the stars are lining up for the Niners to have a great draft and return to Glory!
Originally posted by Niners99:

well we got a top 17 pick from that 2nd rounder....so we will likely have a chance to draft a player better than Shonn Greene now.

You're retarded. I'll bet you also think we should draft 2 qb's with our first two picks, right? I'm talkin to you, jbatta
[ Edited by CowboyHunter on Jan 25, 2010 at 4:14 PM ]

How could you call Coffee a bust? Does anyone remember the utter failure our offense was before Alex Smith replaced Shaun Hill? We couldn't even get a 1st down. Every defense was cheating up near the line in a eery recreation of the Jim Hostler season, stuffing Gore AND Coffee. He looked pretty good when he had decent blocking.

This.

+1

At the beginning of the season, Gore was held to gains of 30 yards, 4 yards (injury) and 32 yards in 3 of his first 4 games. Then Alex comes in and boom, 91 yards, 83 yards, 104 yards in consecutive weeks. He finishes with 452 yards in the last 4 games.

The problem was Shaun Hill and the defenses stacking the box with him not being able to take advantage of 1 on 1 coverage downfield.

Ether, do you seriously think the majority of zoners have the critical thinking skills to get where you're coming from?

Originally posted by SF4EVA:
Who all watched the draft when the jets picked revis? All i remember is all the pundits moaning about him being picked way too early. that he was a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Yeah, I seem to remember either Keyshawn or Kiper saying he should have been a late 1st/early 2nd rounder (not entirely positive, so don't quote me on that). Of course, hindsight is always 20/20...
The thing about the jets/9ers and the last 4 yrs of drafting/ FAing is a lesson in how different teams concentrate on their OL in vastly differing methods. Go back to a miserable jets team(and same for 49ers) when in rd 1, after 5 picks, i thot we had a shot at D'Brickshaw Ferguson. At #6, they took him and we ended up with vernon on next pick. That wasn't bad drafting on our part, because the jets had the one pick ahead of us. The outcome was amazingly different however. D'Brick basically has anchored that OL since arriving, and we struggled with VD for 3 yrs. Finally, he added to the team, but only with intensive coaching by BigMike. Meanwhile, Dbrick has helped make the jets OL the best runblocking OL in nfl , and allowed a rookie Qb to make it to the playoffs and win a game.

2nd difference was that last yr when Faneca FAed, jets went after him like a laser, and between dBrick and faneca, the jets OL was the envy of the league. We on the other hand expressed no interest in Faneca ("way too expensive, we can always pick up an OG in 2nd or 3rd rd."---mcClown) Well, guess what? That isn't true, and if we had taken Faneca at maybe $7 or 8 mil/yr, our OL problems would not be being discussed at present. Yeah, we would still need another starter, but the jets by drafting and solidifying their OL first, made it possible for their rookie qb to have a phenomenal 1st yr.

If we could just get our GM, HC, owner to fix the OL first, then rebuild where we have holes, we would be miles ahead of where we are now...still not knowing if our #1 pick in the draft was a good choice or not. It is a story of disconnects, and noln was as guilty as mcClown. Draft a QB as #1 pick in the league and then surround him with 2nd and 3rd rd draft picks on OL...well, you end up losing 2 yrs of your QB to surgical injury, and 5 yrs later, still have no idea about is he good enough or not.

It is water under the bridge, but i would fervently hope that our GM/HC would see to it that we nail down 2 OLs in rd 1 and FA any all pro OL (either G,T, or C) before anything else is done this yr. I am painfully aware of our other needs, but securing the OL has got to be the # 1 job of draft and FA this yr. 2nd and 3rd rd OGs and OTs ...well, they don't work out. Sure there is an occasional diamond in the rough, but if you want great OLs, draft 'em high in rd 1, and FA an all pro.

If this does not get done this yr, i expect another yr like the last 5. And that would mean, that whether jed likes scot and bigaMike or not, they would be fired at end of 2010. Remember, when we picked in 2009, we took crabs over Oher. Who got the better deal, short term and long term? Obviously i don't think we did , but scot and bigmike think they did well. Oher is a starter and has played well. Crabs held out half a yr, can make great catches, and then pulls a VD and gets stone hands. Two key players, both receivers, one a TE the other a WR were taken by us instead of starting OTs. Our mgmt has to change its tune, and scot has to change his ridiculous "Oh, we can always get an OL in 2nd or 3rd rd". Maybe we can, but not a GOOD or GREAT OT or OG/ C.

scot still labors under the impression that a 2nd or 3rd rounder for OL can be coached up. Well, wrong scot, not in today's nfl. You pick a guy now, and he has to be a really good starter. Drafting cody wallace and then not playing him for 2 yrs? What kind of idiocy is that? Our GM need to pay attn to the best running team in the nfl and do what they did...build the OL first, as Lombardi and Paul Brown did. To not do so will just give us another yr like the last 7...and i don't think scot or bigMike will survive that.
Originally posted by CowboyHunter:

+1

Ether, do you seriously think the majority of zoners have the critical thinking skills to get where you're coming from?

Calm down. The majority of zoners are intelligent people. It is the minority who are the problem
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
The thing about the jets/9ers and the last 4 yrs of drafting/ FAing is a lesson in how different teams concentrate on their OL in vastly differing methods. Go back to a miserable jets team(and same for 49ers) when in rd 1, after 5 picks, i thot we had a shot at D'Brickshaw Ferguson. At #6, they took him and we ended up with vernon on next pick. That wasn't bad drafting on our part, because the jets had the one pick ahead of us. The outcome was amazingly different however. D'Brick basically has anchored that OL since arriving, and we struggled with VD for 3 yrs. Finally, he added to the team, but only with intensive coaching by BigMike. Meanwhile, Dbrick has helped make the jets OL the best runblocking OL in nfl , and allowed a rookie Qb to make it to the playoffs and win a game.

2nd difference was that last yr when Faneca FAed, jets went after him like a laser, and between dBrick and faneca, the jets OL was the envy of the league. We on the other hand expressed no interest in Faneca ("way too expensive, we can always pick up an OG in 2nd or 3rd rd."---mcClown) Well, guess what? That isn't true, and if we had taken Faneca at maybe $7 or 8 mil/yr, our OL problems would not be being discussed at present. Yeah, we would still need another starter, but the jets by drafting and solidifying their OL first, made it possible for their rookie qb to have a phenomenal 1st yr.

If we could just get our GM, HC, owner to fix the OL first, then rebuild where we have holes, we would be miles ahead of where we are now...still not knowing if our #1 pick in the draft was a good choice or not. It is a story of disconnects, and noln was as guilty as mcClown. Draft a QB as #1 pick in the league and then surround him with 2nd and 3rd rd draft picks on OL...well, you end up losing 2 yrs of your QB to surgical injury, and 5 yrs later, still have no idea about is he good enough or not.

It is water under the bridge, but i would fervently hope that our GM/HC would see to it that we nail down 2 OLs in rd 1 and FA any all pro OL (either G,T, or C) before anything else is done this yr. I am painfully aware of our other needs, but securing the OL has got to be the # 1 job of draft and FA this yr. 2nd and 3rd rd OGs and OTs ...well, they don't work out. Sure there is an occasional diamond in the rough, but if you want great OLs, draft 'em high in rd 1, and FA an all pro.

If this does not get done this yr, i expect another yr like the last 5. And that would mean, that whether jed likes scot and bigaMike or not, they would be fired at end of 2010. Remember, when we picked in 2009, we took crabs over Oher. Who got the better deal, short term and long term? Obviously i don't think we did , but scot and bigmike think they did well. Oher is a starter and has played well. Crabs held out half a yr, can make great catches, and then pulls a VD and gets stone hands. Two key players, both receivers, one a TE the other a WR were taken by us instead of starting OTs. Our mgmt has to change its tune, and scot has to change his ridiculous "Oh, we can always get an OL in 2nd or 3rd rd". Maybe we can, but not a GOOD or GREAT OT or OG/ C.

scot still labors under the impression that a 2nd or 3rd rounder for OL can be coached up. Well, wrong scot, not in today's nfl. You pick a guy now, and he has to be a really good starter. Drafting cody wallace and then not playing him for 2 yrs? What kind of idiocy is that? Our GM need to pay attn to the best running team in the nfl and do what they did...build the OL first, as Lombardi and Paul Brown did. To not do so will just give us another yr like the last 7...and i don't think scot or bigMike will survive that.

Your memory is very selective. The niners tried to build their OL first. They signed Allen and Jennings in the first two years and they also drafted a guard with the second pick in 05. They actually had a good OL in 2006. A bit weak on the edges, but very strong in the middle.

However the biggest difference between the Jets and the niners is that the Jets got OL when there was OL to be had whereas the niners had to reach like hell to get them simply because there wasn't anyone talented available at the time. They paid a ton of money for Jennings because he was the only OL available rather than whether he was worth it. They drafted Baas after Mankins was drafted, just to get a guard.

When the Jets paid a ton of money to get a guy, they made sure they got a good guy. When they drafted an OL, they made sure he was worth it. They never settled for warm bodies at a position of need simply because they needed someone.

My point is that the Jets let the good players come to them rather than force the issue. The niners forced the issue with Baas and Jennings and it backfired horribly.
Originally posted by 49erForLife420:

LOL bust?????? rookie running back with s**tty 0-line... cool

I wouldn't call Coffee a bust BUT he didn't appear to be an inherently instinctive runner. He looked like a north and south guy without vision or elite speed. He also looked like a poor fit for what will likely be a spread heavy offense. He might have been a good fit what our coach thought the offense should look like but not what it is.

CJ Spiller looks like the perfect running back for what our new offense will be. Plus he can return the hell of kicks. Something we've been desperately lacking.

I predict Spiller turns out to be one of the top ten guys in this draft but doesn't get drafted that high.
Share 49ersWebzone