LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

OL coach Chris Foerster Gone! Hired by Redskins

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
You do kinda have to wonder though......Shanahan usually has really good offensive lines and hes hiring Foerster.

Rick Dennison was his OL coach and is now the OC for Houston. Shanahan brought in his running back coach, so Forrester will have to work with them on zone blocking scheme. Forrester came from the Ravens and I donot believe they have had a good OL since 2000 until now.
Wow thank you Washington.....

CHAMPIONSHIP!
Sometimes things just happen for a reason...Shanahan wanted Foerster, who wanted to get close to his family. Singletary relented after Foerster explained why he wanted to go to Wash. Then, bingo, Coach jumped on Solari, the guy he's wanted all along. Things just fell into place...a win, win!

Solari's an excellent OL coach...great success in KC where he worked for a few years under Raye. So, there's a connection there. Most important is he's a Bob McKittrick disciple from his time w/Niners. Given he's one of the all-time great OL coaches in NFL history, we're getting a guy who learned a ton from him. That can only be a good thing...so, reinforces getting the best OT on the board with the #13 pick. Singletary will listen to Solari...and hopefully get Bulaga or Anthony Davis. I'd been advocating for OG Iupati at #16/17, but I have it from a very reliable source he's more of a late 1st/early 2nd rd pick. Devastating run blocker, but needs a good deal of coaching up to be an effective pass protector. So, that means Singletary can take BPA with his 2nd 1st rounder. Maybe that'll be Spiller, but I think he'll be gone. CB Donovan Warren would be a great pick there, as Haden is likely to be long gone, too. With CBA resolution nowhere in sight, it'd make sense to re-sign Baas for 1-2 years, but draft his replacement now. Solari can be a huge asset to insure we get the right guy.
  • cools
  • Veteran
I think the we may be putting too much blame on Foerster for the OL situation

* Free agent Smith was a bonehead move by Scotty, dude was damaged goods
and everyone knew it, that had a snowball effect

* Snyder told the coach he could be the guy at RT, he failed
he's a backup guard at best

* Pashos, good move, too bad he got hurt right after he took Snyders job
so were back to Snyder at RT

* Baas, Finnaly gets his chance to be the starter , but gets dinged up and plays with injury and struggles, but did play very well last 6 games

* Rachal, was pretty bad the whole year, played ok the last few weeks
but if Snyder wasnt at RT, I think he would have taken over at RG midway thru the season

* the fact that Wragge and Wallace didnt see the field during all these problems
show that our depth was horrible, I know Wallace is a Center, but imo all centers should also be able to play guard, I think almost every Center we have ever had played some guard

* Heitmann is a solid Center, but got whooped on when he had to go against top tier NT/DT's

* Staley gets Injured, Sims played well, cept the last game or two

* Boone and Barton, long term projects, that probably wont pan out
and there was no chance they could help

We were screwed no matter who was coaching the OL, alot of it bad luck
but if there is someone to Blame it may be Scotty and Sing

Even a great Chef cant turn a flank steak into a Filet

[ Edited by cools on Jan 22, 2010 at 00:22:54 ]
Originally posted by cools:
I think the we may be putting too much blame on Foerster for the OL situation

* Free agent Smith was a bonehead move by Scotty, dude was damaged goods
and everyone knew it, that had a snowball effect

* Snyder told the coach he could be the guy at RT, he failed
he's a backup guard at best

* Pashos, good move, too bad he got hurt right after he took Snyders job
so were back to Snyder at RT

* Baas, Finnaly gets his chance to be the starter , but gets dinged up and plays with injury and struggles, but did play very well last 6 games

* Rachal, was pretty bad the whole year, played ok the last few weeks
but if Snyder wasnt at RT, I think he would have taken over at RG midway thru the season

* the fact that Wragge and Wallace didnt see the field during all these problems
show that our depth was horrible, I know Wallace is a Center, but imo all centers should also be able to play guard, I think almost every Center we have ever had played some guard

* Heitmann is a solid Center, but got whooped on when he had to go against top tier NT/DT's

* Staley gets Injured, Sims played well, cept the last game or two

* Boone and Barton, long term projects, that probably wont pan out
and there was no chance they could help

We were screwed no matter who was coaching the OL, alot of it bad luck
but if there is someone to Blame it may be Scotty and Sing

Even a great Chef cant turn a flank steak into a Filet

Eh, Solari took Seattle's bandaid brigade (and even they suffered injuries as well, warranting almost a revolving door UDFA situation at the line all season) and still made them the 9th best 'run-blocking' team in the league.

Foerster was a horrible coach that taught zero fundamentals to his crew, the gamefilm says it all. -Chris has not had a pretty track record, in fact every franchise he's left has become a better one without him.

I've been studying Chris's history since he came here, his progress on our line, and trust me, we just became a better team today for not only getting rid of Foerester, but bringing Solari in.
I'm excited to see what Solari does with Mr. Boone.
Share 49ersWebzone