LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 250 users in the forums

Go figure, No. 3 in sacks

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Ether:
What was that number against good teams?

We got like, 15 off of the two games against the Rams, and like 7 in another game (Lions, maybe?)

But the Vikings played the Rams too -- and Detroit.. twice..

And the Packers, especially early in the season when their line was decimated by injuries and playing like crap.
For our pass rush I would like to see 3-4 sacks out of Sop, same for Balmer and MacDonald. I see J. Smith as about as perfect a 3-4 end as there is in the game.

I would like to see us get a deal signed with Franklin for 3 years.

I would then like to see Lawson continue to develop - and get up to about 8-10 sacks per year.

I would like to see 5-7 sacks out of Willis.

I think that Spikes will probably get 3-5 sacks and he will train McClain if he is there to be picked.

McKillop needs to show more before I would turn over Spikes position to him. If McClain is there McKillop will definitely be backup material.

Difficult to know what happened to Harolson this year. Don't know if he was injured or what but he did not play well. Slow and few sacks. He is our mystery man for next season.

Brooks - hopefully will contiue to develop and be our primary pass rushing OLB. He has the size and speed, and appeared to be "getting it" at the end of the season. Now we will see if he is able to stay focused during the off season and be able to take the next step.

Briggs is another one we hope will take the next step of development. Hopefully he will come on and win a place on the roster for his talent.

I think we also need to draft at least one olb. My preference would be Graham/Schofield. I think we need to be aggressive with our pass rush and keep up the pressure.

#3 in sacks is another testimony that Singletary has had an effect on this team.

The last issue will be Manusky. I hope he continues to grow as a DC and gets more creative and unpredictable in his defensive packages from week to week.

Overall good progress on the defense. All we need to do is shore up the backfield and we will have a top five defense.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Ether:
What was that number against good teams?

We got like, 15 off of the two games against the Rams, and like 7 in another game (Lions, maybe?)

But the Vikings played the Rams too -- and Detroit.. twice..

Exactly!
Originally posted by solidg2000:
And MANNY LAWSON led the team
Here's a more amazing statistic... we got 4 more sacks than we gave to the other team.
I have such a hard time believing this. I guess the Chicago and Arizona games inflated our stats.
Now imagine if we had our own Ware, Harrison, or Porter, ie a dominate pass rushing OLB.
the Colts allowed 13 sacks all season.

3 were to the 49ers.
It's because sacks are the home run of football!!!!

-BigMar

[ Edited by itlynstalyn on Jan 20, 2010 at 15:39:35 ]
I think this is a great example of how stats can be misleading. I dont care what they say. I do not think the Niners have a dominating pass rush and still believe we need a great 3-4 OLB in order to be considered a top notch defense. Lets see the consistency against the strong teams in the league.

It just goes to show that some that post here have no idea what they are crying about. How about this...we don't get alot of sacks against the good teams because they...are good teams...imagine that! Why don't we just submit a new rule for the league to review where we throw out sacks against non playoff teams at the end of the year so the stats don't "lie" to us?
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

3 were to the 49ers.

CHEEAA
Originally posted by 9ermex:
We were only 4 sacks behind the leader of the entire league, those were the vikings with 48 sacks and we got 44! So much for the myth that we dont presure QBs..

i wonder how much of it had to do with Sing bringing in his pass rushing coach?
There were plenty of times where the QB barely got away or they made a desperation throw that was bad or picked.

Sacks also cause fumbles by the QB's, who usually have their eyes honed down field. We did a good job this year of knocking it out of the QBs hands, which is somthing I personally felt we weren't doing a good job of. A sack, fumble, and recovery is as momentous as u can get besides a pick 6.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

3 were to the 49ers.

But our pass rush sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Niner talk is just to crazy sometimes. They would say our pass rush sucks if we were #1 in sacks. LMFAO!
Share 49ersWebzone