There are 401 users in the forums

Coaches we need to replace?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Chris Forester - O-Line
Jerry Sullivan - WR
Mike Johnson - QB coach

Year after year, these positions fail to produce. Eventually, we have to blame the coaches. I'm giving Jimmy Raye one more year to see what he can do. My biggest question is why we continue to keep Jerry Sullivan when our receivers continuously drop balls?

Thoughts? other position coaches you can think of?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Wow, no Jimmy Raye on that list.
Originally posted by Chico:
Chris Forester - O-Line
Jerry Sullivan - WR
Mike Johnson - QB coach

Year after year, these positions fail to produce. Eventually, we have to blame the coaches. I'm giving Jimmy Raye one more year to see what he can do. My biggest question is why we continue to keep Jerry Sullivan when our receivers continuously drop balls?

I agree we should look for better coaches to replace Forester and Sullivan... I disagree about Johnson.

Regardless of how you like/hate our QB, I don't see how anyone can deny the improvement Smith has shown. I don't know if we should be so quick to drop Johnson.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Sully was a big reason why Crabtree got caught up so fast. They spent a lot of time during the bye week in the film room then taking that out to the practice field.

Sully also got good production of Brandon Lloyd while he was here.

Go ahead and look at the WR's that were here and brought in during Sullivan's time and then look at what they have done since they left. Nothing. So you can't blame him for not getting more out of them.

He is always a webzone favorite for scapegoat for the lack of production we have seen from our WR's, but no one ever cares to blame any of that on the GM's (both Scot and Nolan). The one guy who has played well that was brought in, Antonio Bryant, is a head case.
johnson is suppose to be an upncomer, who just might be the 1 being groomed to take over OC at some point so why does he have to go?
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Sully was a big reason why Crabtree got caught up so fast. They spent a lot of time during the bye week in the film room then taking that out to the practice field.

Go ahead and look at the WR's that were here and brought in during Sullivan's time and then look at what they have done since they left. Nothing. So you can't blame him for not getting more out of them.

He is always a webzone favorite for scapegoat for the lack of production we have seen from our WR's, but no one ever cares to blame any of that on the GM's (both Scot and Nolan). The one guy who has played well that was brought in, Antonio Bryant, is a head case.

Your only defense is Brandon Lloyd??? That's pretty weak dude! studying film is one thing but why do our receivers continuously drop passes? I'd say Crabtree has the best hands of the bunch and he dropped quite a few passes this year. VD has improved production but still has shown hands of stone. REPLACE JERRY SULLIVAN!
Chris Forester - O-Line
Jerry Sullivan - WR
Mike Johnson - QB coach

Who in this equation is we? The way I see it, you're no more qualified to preside over the judgment of the above mention coaches as the crazy, homeless guy who wears a sun hat and smells like ant spray.

None of those guys are going. Fans love to point the finger at the position coaches when things go wrong, but rarely do they get credit when a unit has grown.

Chris Foerster has had a year and a half to bring together an offensive line plagued by inexperience and injuries. Foerster's offensive line gave up 27 sacks through the first eight games. Through adjustments and improved play, the team would give up just 13 sacks through the remaining eight games.

Jerry Sullivan? He's coached both Josh Morgan and Michael Crabtree into starting roles. It seems pretty obvious that Singletary is more interested in what Sullivan can do with another year than bring someone completely foreign into the situation.

Mike Johnson? You've got to be kidding me. Firing the Quarterbacks Coach might the worst thing for Alex Smith and Nate Davis. Johnson was instrumental in Smith's game day preparations.

[ Edited by redrathman on Jan 20, 2010 at 11:05:20 ]
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Allx9er:
johnson is suppose to be an upncomer, who just might be the 1 being groomed to take over OC at some point so why does he have to go?

REPLACE HIM!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Surprised no one has made a "fans that need to be replaced" thread.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Allx9er:

REPLACE HIM!

• Chico
  • Veteran
I don't understand why everyone is so high on Jerry Sullivan. Our receivers have dropped so many passes over the years that they are starting to look like Seahawk receivers of the past. Weren't Crabtree and VD at the top of the list in the NFL for dropped passes? How long do we put up with it before we say enough is enough?
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Chris Forester - O-Line
Jerry Sullivan - WR
Mike Johnson - QB coach

I agree we should look for better coaches to replace Forester and Sullivan... I disagree about Johnson.

Regardless of how you like/hate our QB, I don't see how anyone can deny the improvement Smith has shown. I don't know if we should be so quick to drop Johnson.

I agree with the disagree. I think Johnson could be the future Oc for us and think he's done a great job look how much better alex has become. That's not because of raye..
Chris Forester - O-Line
Jerry Sullivan - WR
Mike Johnson - QB coach

I don't understand your rationale for replacing Mike Johnson. Alex Smith had his best year to date, and this was probably his first/second real year of having someone coach his form/technique.

He spent a whole year studying the spread which is likely to play an important role in our offensive scheme, and he's supposed to be Raye's successor. Can him, then who do we have for continuity after Raye retires?

D-.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Your only defense is Brandon Lloyd??? That's pretty weak dude! studying film is one thing but why do our receivers continuously drop passes? I'd say Crabtree has the best hands of the bunch and he dropped quite a few passes this year. VD has improved production but still has shown hands of stone. REPLACE JERRY SULLIVAN!

The players should be staying after practices and either asking one of the QB's to throw to them or getting the jugs machine out and catching a few hundred balls.

Sullivan is a stickler for details thus why a lot of the young WR's on this team fail to get on the field early in their careers. They have to prove themselves which is only right. And no Lloyd isn't the only defense, I mentioned what he did with Crabtree as well. Look at 6th round pick Josh Morgan. Sullivan has been kept on staff despite the changes at OC, that in itself should tell you something. Why ? Very reputable teacher (known around the league as one of the better WR coaches), and a track record to prove it.

Something a good poster said a while back :

Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
Sully is the man. If you've been fortunate enough to see him during practice you'd see he is the most detail oriented coach we have. More than once I have seen him remain on the field after practice to help someone with hand placement, or the proper route depth, headfakes, etc.

As people said the dearth of talent is more to blame than coaching IMHO. The difference between OLine play and WR play is we invested more in the line than we have in our receiving core.

Smiley, Baas, Staley, Harris , Rachal, all guys we drafted in either the first or second round. Plus Jonas Jennings, Marvel Smith, Pashos, Larry Allen in free agency. To not have a solid line after all the resources we have used in the past 5+ years is unacceptable.

On the receiver end guys like Jonnie Morton, Curtis Conway, Brandon Lloyd, Cedric Wilson, Rasheed Marshall, Brandon Williams, Rashaun Woods , and the like, haven't done anything elsewhere. so seemingly no amount of coaching could make up for the lack of physical skills for those players. Blaming Sully seems stupid to me when you consider that guy like Crabtree is playing up to expectations even after a prolonged holdout.

Do you think he is not on top of his receivers every time they are dropping passes ? I'd bet he is the first person in their ear about it. If we benched those guys for dropping passes then you'd all b***h about that. The players are just as much at fault for not catching those passes, Sully is doing his job but he can't go out there and catch the ball for them nor can he put stick em' on their hands. All he can do is ride their asses and work on it as much as he can during practice. It's up to the WR's to put in additional time to work on their hands if they are becoming a problem.
I don't understand why everyone is so high on Jerry Sullivan. Our receivers have dropped so many passes over the years that they are starting to look like Seahawk receivers of the past. Weren't Crabtree and VD at the top of the list in the NFL for dropped passes? How long do we put up with it before we say enough is enough?

Vernon Davis isn't coached by Jerry Sullivan. He's a tight end, so he's coached by Pete Hoener.

Crabtree was 16th in dropped passes in the NFL with 7.

And seeing as last season was Crabtree's first, I find it hard to believe one season is enough.

The problem with fans like you is your disconnect between production and preparation. Coaches prepare players, but players still have to play. Firing a position coach isn't going to fix dropped passes. Should Philadelphia, Indianapolis and Pittsburgh fire their Wide Receivers coaches because of dropped passes as well?
Share 49ersWebzone