LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 295 users in the forums

Brent Jones on KNBR

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • flow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Lmao..another "let's whine about VD thread"

Don't worry. It'll turn into an "Alex Smith is the sole reason Vernon dropped those passes and if it was any other QB Vernon would not drop any balls EVER and he'd get 50 touchdowns per season like in Madden and we'd win the Super Bowl and humanity would develop the cure for cancer F*CK YOU ALECKS YOU SOHK SOOO MUCH DOOD!" thread.

[ Edited by Crazy4Niners on Jan 20, 2010 at 09:35:11 ]
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Yeah that was funny, I think Brent was joking though about Vernon's 'Dropsies', but in an odd way it almost came off very bitter. (But his point about 'life-time' career progress is on the mark.)

I love Brent a ton, but he really has no floor cause he had Montana/Young throwing to him, and a 'brick-s**t-house' line that allowed Brent the flexibility/security to break off and make those insane red-zone TDs.

-Cause let's face it, when you're catching life-threatening passes/racking up 13 TDs in a single season from a s**tty QB like Alex Smith in 'modern-era' football you should be awarded a f**king trophy, and a yearly supply of dip cone coupons from the Dairy Queen!

A s**tty QB wouldn't have thrown 10 TD passes to a single player in half a season...

Brent's right. He was more fearless and hung on to balls when taking a hard hit. He had better hands. If Vernon had Brent's relentlessness to get the ball and Brent's hands he'd be the best TE ever IMO.

Lets not make this a f**king A. Smith thread! Pleeeaaasseeee go lick his nutz in the appropriate thread!

Also, look up Britt Miller for resemblance to your second note. He's not there yet, but damn does he look "fearless" and showed "relentlessness"!
Yeah that was funny, I think Brent was joking though about Vernon's 'Dropsies', but in an odd way it almost came off very bitter. (But his point about 'life-time' career progress is on the mark.)

I love Brent a ton, but he really has no floor cause he had Montana/Young throwing to him, and a 'brick-s**t-house' line that allowed Brent the flexibility/security to break off and make those insane red-zone TDs.

-Cause let's face it, when you're catching life-threatening passes/racking up 13 TDs in a single season from a s**tty QB like Alex Smith in 'modern-era' football you should be awarded a f**king trophy, and a yearly supply of dip cone coupons from the Dairy Queen!

Just imagine if vernon had Montana or Young throwing the ball to him instead of alex and wonderland!
Originally posted by Crazy4Niners:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Lmao..another "let's whine about VD thread"

Don't worry. It'll turn into an "Alex Smith is the sole reason Vernon dropped those passes and if it was any other QB Vernon would not drop any balls EVER and he'd get 50 touchdowns per season like in Madden and we'd win the Super Bowl and humanity would develop the cure for cancer F*CK YOU ALECKS YOU SOHK SOOO MUCH DOOD!" thread.

It is AS's sole fault. I understand he puts reverse "english" on balls he throws to VD.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:

A s**tty QB wouldn't have thrown 10 TD passes to a single player in half a season...

Brent's right. He was more fearless and hung on to balls when taking a hard hit. He had better hands. If Vernon had Brent's relentlessness to get the ball and Brent's hands he'd be the best TE ever IMO.

Lets not make this a f**king A. Smith thread! Pleeeaaasseeee go lick his nutz in the appropriate thread!

Also, look up Britt Miller for resemblance to your second note. He's not there yet, but damn does he look "fearless" and showed "relentlessness"!

Yeah, I really liked what Miller showed in pre-season. He seems to be a fiery guy. we need players like that. I hope he improves his blocking and lead blocking. He does that, I would like to see him get a shot. I liked his receiving skills. Not bad speed either.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

Yeah, I really liked what Miller showed in pre-season. He seems to be a fiery guy. we need players like that. I hope he improves his blocking and lead blocking. He does that, I would like to see him get a shot. I liked his receiving skills. Not bad speed either.

Exactly! He was voted player of the week for his Special Teams play several week and everyone is always praising his work ethic.

I think he and Nate Davis are the players I'm most excited to see this off season.

This is way off the mark. The thing that is so frustrating about Davis is that he makes those really difficult in traffic take the recievers head off catches, but then drops a near dump off pass 7 yards out. I think there has been only one time that you could argue he alligator armed the ball. Personally, I think it was fear he just gave up too soon.
Originally posted by TheCatch:
Originally posted by excelsior:
I saw enough during the games this year to conclude that Vernon's flaw is more than just dropping balls. The TE is often the "hot" go-to guy when there is a jail break and the QB has to get rid of the ball pronto. The TE has to have "awareness" when this is happening and the smarts to be ready. Too often Vernon was heading downfield, his head straight ahead, oblivious to what was happening. While Vernon got 13 TDs, how much of Alex's perceived uncertainty and how many incompletions was Vernon responsible for?

Very true, Vernon's got to look for more than TD's. Look back once in a while. Blitz is coming, and Vern's still running a 20 yard route. Good point.

Totally agree, I hope VD is reviewing a lot of tape w/Coach Hoerner this off season to address this...however, VD has come a lonnnnng way since Sing called him out....and I see nothing but continued success for VD & the 49ers as he evolves and so goes the team with the same Offensive system and QB for the 1st time since his arrival.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

Isn't Miller a FB? I like him too and would not be sorry if he took Norris' place, assuming he's as good or better a blocker. He's already a better runner and receiver.

How am I licking his balls? All I'm pointing out is that a horrible QB wouldn't have thrown that many TDs to one player. Especially not a TE. I'm not trying to make this a thread about him. I'm just saying that it's unfair to say that about him. Ok, would he have caught more balls from Montana or Young? Hell yes. But would he have caught more from Trent Dilfer, or Brad Johnson, hell no. I don't even think he's a great QB but at the same time I don't think it's fair to rip him for getting a player 10 TDs in half a season.

Vernon is better period. Brent Jones couldn't hold his jock strap if they were both in their prime. Think about it. If Vernon Davis and Brent Jones are both in their primes Vernon is the starter and Brent is the backup.

Brent Jones played with Montana and Young and had tremendous offensive lines in front of him. Plus he had outstanding WR's drawing attention away from him. Vernon doesn't have that much around him. Average QB play, a terrible O LINE and one WR of any note and even he is no Calvin Johnson or Andre Johnson.
  • dj43

Jones made a career catching balls that put him in jeopardy of incredible hits by safeties.

I don't know how much you may have seen Jones but I saw his entire career, and he made more tough catches than Davis has, and he NEVER let a defender run him off his route. Davis gets far too much credit for his "blocking" as if that overshadows how many times his drops and penalties resulted in 3-and-out and put his team in bad field position on defense.
  • dj43
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Originally posted by stevenking57:
Originally posted by susweel:
I was driving around this morning and I heard him on the Gary Radnich show. Gary asked something like "So is Vernon now the best tight end in 49ers history ?"

Brent said Vernon is a great athlete but I (Brent) never in my entire career including practice dropped as many balls as Vernon does in a season. He also said that Vernon needs to put up good numbers for like 8-9 years before he can be considered the best. He also said that his (Brents) catches were in more meaningful games.

I just thought it was kinda funny how much stuff Brent said about himself. Usually you dont get athletes that are that honest.
When you tell the truth, even about yourself, it's not bragging! Brent played at a high level his whole career and didn't drop balls. Brent wasn't the focus of the Niner O either, some guys named Rice, Taylor, and Craig were passed to first!

Brent Jones was never a blocking TE. He was strictly a pass catching TE. Maybe a chip here or there, but he was never asked to be the 6th lineman like the 49ers have asked VD to do.

However, if VD wants to go down as a premier TE he needs to not drop as many balls and become the check off receiver on hot reads.

Jones worked hard at his blocking technique and became a better than average blocker. But it was his ability to make the quick read on blitzes and find open areas in coverage that made him such a valuable part of the offense, two things that Davis needs to improve.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Vernon is better period. Brent Jones couldn't hold his jock strap if they were both in their prime. Think about it. If Vernon Davis and Brent Jones are both in their primes Vernon is the starter and Brent is the backup.

Brent Jones played with Montana and Young and had tremendous offensive lines in front of him. Plus he had outstanding WR's drawing attention away from him. Vernon doesn't have that much around him. Average QB play, a terrible O LINE and one WR of any note and even he is no Calvin Johnson or Andre Johnson.

Vernon's more talented and he has better stats in one year but at the same time Jones was more reliable when you needed a catch. Not to mention if Jones didn't have Rice/Taylor on his team he would've had way more catches. One of the reason we go to Vernon so much is because the only other guy that gets open consistently was a rookie who held out 5 games(crabtree obviously). I mean I don't think you'll see Vern get these numbers next year, honestly.
Originally posted by excelsior:
I saw enough during the games this year to conclude that Vernon's flaw is more than just dropping balls. The TE is often the "hot" go-to guy when there is a jail break and the QB has to get rid of the ball pronto. The TE has to have "awareness" when this is happening and the smarts to be ready. Too often Vernon was heading downfield, his head straight ahead, oblivious to what was happening. While Vernon got 13 TDs, how much of Alex's perceived uncertainty and how many incompletions was Vernon responsible for?

This is so true! without a doubt Brent is our best Tight End so far,Vernon has more athletic ability and could overtake Brent only if he does it for another 7-8 seasons.
And he's gotta stop dropping so many balls!
Share 49ersWebzone