There are 424 users in the forums

Brent Jones on KNBR

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I was driving around this morning and I heard him on the Gary Radnich show. Gary asked something like "So is Vernon now the best tight end in 49ers history ?"

Brent said Vernon is a great athlete but I (Brent) never in my entire career including practice dropped as many balls as Vernon does in a season. He also said that Vernon needs to put up good numbers for like 8-9 years before he can be considered the best. He also said that his (Brents) catches were in more meaningful games.

I just thought it was kinda funny how much stuff Brent said about himself. Usually you dont get athletes that are that honest.

[ Edited by susweel on Jan 19, 2010 at 16:13:34 ]
Yeah that was funny, I think Brent was joking though about Vernon's 'Dropsies', but in an odd way it almost came off very bitter. (But his point about 'life-time' career progress is on the mark.)

I love Brent a ton, but he really has no floor cause he had Montana/Young throwing to him, and a 'brick-s**t-house' line that allowed Brent the flexibility/security to break off and make those insane red-zone TDs.

-Cause let's face it, when you're catching life-threatening passes/racking up 13 TDs in a single season from a s**tty QB like Alex Smith in 'modern-era' football you should be awarded a f**king trophy, and a yearly supply of dip cone coupons from the Dairy Queen!

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Jan 19, 2010 at 16:17:05 ]
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Yeah that was funny, I think Brent was joking though about Vernon's 'Dropsies', but in an odd way it almost came off very bitter. (But his point about 'life-time' career progress is on the mark.)

I love Brent a ton, but he really has no floor cause he had Montana/Young throwing to him, and a 'brick-s**t-house' line that allowed Brent the flexibility/security to break off and make those insane red-zone TDs.

-Cause let's face it, when you're catching life-threatening passes/racking up 13 TDs in a single season from a s**tty QB like Alex Smith in 'modern-era' football you should be awarded a f**king trophy, and a yearly supply of dip cone coupons from the Dairy Queen!

A s**tty QB wouldn't have thrown 10 TD passes to a single player in half a season...

Brent's right. He was more fearless and hung on to balls when taking a hard hit. He had better hands. If Vernon had Brent's relentlessness to get the ball and Brent's hands he'd be the best TE ever IMO.
I saw enough during the games this year to conclude that Vernon's flaw is more than just dropping balls. The TE is often the "hot" go-to guy when there is a jail break and the QB has to get rid of the ball pronto. The TE has to have "awareness" when this is happening and the smarts to be ready. Too often Vernon was heading downfield, his head straight ahead, oblivious to what was happening. While Vernon got 13 TDs, how much of Alex's perceived uncertainty and how many incompletions was Vernon responsible for?
Lmao..another "let's whine about VD thread"
Brent had much better hands, but couldn't outrun an entire defense in a footrace like Vernon. Vernon does need to be more consistent catching for a while before earning best 49er tight end of all time. Obviously he has that potential, but right now it is just best season statistics for a 49er tight end though.
Originally posted by susweel:
I was driving around this morning and I heard him on the Gary Radnich show. Gary asked something like "So is Vernon now the best tight end in 49ers history ?"

Brent said Vernon is a great athlete but I (Brent) never in my entire career including practice dropped as many balls as Vernon does in a season. He also said that Vernon needs to put up good numbers for like 8-9 years before he can be considered the best. He also said that his (Brents) catches were in more meaningful games.

I just thought it was kinda funny how much stuff Brent said about himself. Usually you dont get athletes that are that honest.
When you tell the truth, even about yourself, it's not bragging! Brent played at a high level his whole career and didn't drop balls. Brent wasn't the focus of the Niner O either, some guys named Rice, Taylor, and Craig were passed to first!

[ Edited by stevenking57 on Jan 19, 2010 at 19:45:17 ]
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Yes Vernon has to play consistent. I believe he will have more catches this season but not as many TD'S. And this is because Crabtree and others will be better this season.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Brent had much better hands, but couldn't outrun an entire defense in a footrace like Vernon. Vernon does need to be more consistent catching for a while before earning best 49er tight end of all time. Obviously he has that potential, but right now it is just best season statistics for a 49er tight end though.

Agree
Im so confused. Why not enjoy the fact that he did this on our team?
We are not going to get the Glory years without a freaking time machine MCFlys. That was a bad question to ask Brent. Thats like someone ask jerry if TO was the greatest after his 20 catch game. If he keeps up then Vern can be called great. but for now Why not say very damn good. Greatness come with winning titles!

Vernon had a great SEASON last year. I think Brent was probably annoyed that he is being compared with him at this point in his career. I agree w/Jones VD needs to come up big in big games, lose the dropped balls, and be consistent throughout the years before he's called great. I believe he will.
Oh im definitely a VD fan, and Brent Jones as well, but I say thats probably why he didnt make the All PRO TEAM, why he wasnt talked about with the Deion Show.

I mean dont get me wrong VD did some good things this year, but the separation between good and great is consistency. LIke Brent said, he didnt drop many passes, and i like the style that he said it jokingly so to not seem like a shot at VD. But there was truth there.

And i know someone didnt say some crap about QB. Damn, are we that blind to not see that it was Smith throwing the TD's he caught. I watched Gates catch tons of balls this past playoff game from Rivers, and he missed one all game. He isnt as fast as vernon, but with his big body, he caught underthrown passes, too high, in single, double, and triple coverage, and he's always watching his QB.

LIke someone said, sometimes to run the route vernon doenst keep his head up, or consistenly look back to see the QB. Which is why he dropped some key passes, and at least 1td a game on at least 5 games i can think of.

Overall, i think Vernon will only get better. If next year, he catches 95% of all passes that are "throwin in a catchable area". Then i say he's definitely a force to be reckoned with from hear on out. But let me see his numbers next year to see if he's really the truth.
Originally posted by excelsior:
I saw enough during the games this year to conclude that Vernon's flaw is more than just dropping balls. The TE is often the "hot" go-to guy when there is a jail break and the QB has to get rid of the ball pronto. The TE has to have "awareness" when this is happening and the smarts to be ready. Too often Vernon was heading downfield, his head straight ahead, oblivious to what was happening. While Vernon got 13 TDs, how much of Alex's perceived uncertainty and how many incompletions was Vernon responsible for?

Very true, Vernon's got to look for more than TD's. Look back once in a while. Blitz is coming, and Vern's still running a 20 yard route. Good point.

[ Edited by TheCatch on Jan 20, 2010 at 07:21:22 ]
Originally posted by stevenking57:

When you tell the truth, even about yourself, it's not bragging! Brent played at a high level his whole career and didn't drop balls. Brent wasn't the focus of the Niner O either, some guys named Rice, Taylor, and Craig were passed to first!

Brent Jones was never a blocking TE. He was strictly a pass catching TE. Maybe a chip here or there, but he was never asked to be the 6th lineman like the 49ers have asked VD to do.

However, if VD wants to go down as a premier TE he needs to not drop as many balls and become the check off receiver on hot reads.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Originally posted by stevenking57:

Brent Jones was never a blocking TE. He was strictly a pass catching TE. Maybe a chip here or there, but he was never asked to be the 6th lineman like the 49ers have asked VD to do.

However, if VD wants to go down as a premier TE he needs to not drop as many balls and become the check off receiver on hot reads.

dont think any could of said it any better.
Share 49ersWebzone