There are 130 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kurt Schottenheimer named ST coach

Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
the only reason to be disappointed (and really, as I said earlier, I don't give a s**t, because it doesn't matter who the STC is if we don't get a good return man) is that, reading a Bobby April quote earlier, he said that special teams is the first play of offense, and Sing, talking about Schotty, said that his experience as a DC will help him...My point being, philosophically, it seems like we will be using ST conservatively (bombshell, I know) with a defensive mentality rather than with a explosive and/or gambling approach with an intent to score.

With all due respect, that doesn't make any sense. So when we are on the recieving end of punts and kickoffs, we are going to be conservative? I could see having a defensive mentality when we are punting or kicking off, but not when we are recieving. ST is 50/50 offensive and defensive mentalities last time I checked.

I think what Sing means is that there will be no dropoff in production when it comes to defending kicks.

I didn't articulate it very well. My point was that listening to April talk about his philosophy, he thinks of ST as the beginning of an offensive possession. Singletary, in talking about Scottenheimer's qualifications, stressed his defensive experience. Philosophically, it just seems like two different ways of seeing special teams.

Now how much that affects how we actually run the ST, I don't know, probably not at all, and like I said, getting a good returner is the biggest thing we really need to do to improve ST.

Mostly, I was just kinda playing devil's advocate and saying that if people want to be upset about the hire they could be upset about how it seems to continue the conservative trend.
Another loser hire=out of football a year, fired everywhere he goes. Couldn't have been April an acknowledged high quality St coach, who SAID, he wouldn't mind coming to the West Coast, no it couldn't have been him.

More of the same.........

Hey how about that loser Sanchez, he really threw a lot of INTS in that one game huh, never looks like he REALLY, REALLY wants to win, don't look like a winner at all..

Commentators here crack me frickin up..

Oh, sorry to digress..

[ Edited by Bali-Niner on Jan 18, 2010 at 21:18:58 ]
Originally posted by PTulini:
I understand wanting coaches who have experience, but this is going a bit far. I hope our coaches don't need oxygen tanks! What happened to hiring young, up and coming coaches? We use to be well-known for that. That era is so far gone. Although I do trust Singletary, look how far this franchise has fallen.

well the problem with young up and coming coaches, is that they are very apt to leave for a better job...the older guys that know their place in the league are more apt to stay where they are...

check out the more successful teams in the league and i would be willing to bet that there is a couple of older guys leading the offenses and defenses...
Interview with 49ers NEW ST Coordinator Kurt Schottenheimer (AUDIO)
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Wow 9 pages over a ST's coach!!!

Ummm yah, Kyle Wilson with our 2nd round pick.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:

i heard you the first time.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by GEEK:

How did you hear me??
Oh no its more of the same, the sky is falling ahhhhhHHH!!!!!!!

once again all that really matters is a solid oline with improved qb play = playoffs

you guys whine over the lamest s**t sometimes
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:

How did you hear me??

Look to your left.
Originally posted by Redz:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
WTF did we not hire Bill Cowher as our ST coach?!?!?!?!

Sing is a f**king idiot, Cowher is out there and this?!?!?!?!?!

riighttt like Cowher would really wanna be a ST Coach...please stop ya whinin its a damn ST Coach! sheesh its not the end of the world

sarcasm detector FAIL.
lets just go to the NFL coaches retirement home and pick up a few more old farts to coach
get 3 or 4 while we are at it. one to coach and two to keep him awake and the 4th to push the wheelchair
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Oh no its more of the same, the sky is falling ahhhhhHHH!!!!!!!

once again all that really matters is a solid oline with improved qb play = playoffs

you guys whine over the lamest s**t sometimes

Its not like this guy is going to return punts for us
Any time you can add a coach with Schottenheimer's experience, it's a good thing. Too soon to tell if there's another underlying reason...i.e. if Coach thinks Manusky's "hot" to get another job. Having that kind of coaching background sure doesn't hurt...gives Singletary plenty of options and an opportunity to hire from within, if the situation presents itself.
apparently Singletary said "Al Everest did a fine job as ST coor., but his contract was not renewed for personal reasons" he wouldnt elaborate, but said "its something Al has to take care of."

maybe he had a drinking problem or something...
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home