Not a member? Register Now!

Kurt Schottenheimer named ST coach

Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
worst thread in niner talk - FTL

there are worse......(see all A. Smith threads)

yeah but atleast thats the quarterback. all this for a special teams coach? any team that loses because of their special teams coordinator was never good enough to go anywhere in the first place. (see Al Everest and the Seatle game)

I hear ya. NinerTalk has turned into a complaint deparment for the football ignorant.

But AXE...I just checked his stats in Madden 2010...and his overall rating blows! Oh noes....we're gonna suck!

Oh, wait. Madden isn't real is it? Hm.

Maybe we should point that out to the overreactionaries in this thread.

Overreaction is something one is born with and cannot be cured I'm afraid. If anything, it makes for a good balance of ignorance and objectivity. I guess there can't be one without the other.
Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by PTulini:
I know his coaching history, but are there any stats on this guy? Were his special teams units any good?

Special Teams Units under Kurt Schottenheimer

Year / Team / KR Ave Rnk / PR Ave Rnk
1987 / Browns / #24 / #6
1988 / Browns / #6 / #17
1989 / Chiefs / #19 / #8
1990 / Chiefs / #23 / #24
1991 / Chiefs / #28 / #16
1992 / Chiefs / #6 / #11
1993 / Chiefs / #14 / #2
1994 / Chiefs / #2 / #9

Well he had some success 20 years ago in the NFL

yeah, because ST has changed SO much in the last 20 years. How will he keep up with the modern age special teams!!

he will be fine. nobody knew who the crap Al Everest was before we hired him, and he ended up being a ST coach of the year award winner. people on this board are ridiculous. flipping out about nothing.

we hire Sing with very little experience, everyone complains. we hire Raye and Schottenheimer with decades of experience, everyone complains. seriously, shut up.

guys been in the NFL 30 years, i think he knows how special teams work. we have the players, all we need is a KR/PR.

This. People complain that Sing has no experience but when he hires someone with tons of experience its a bad move.

I swear 75% of our fanbase are a bunch b**tches and thats all they do. We may need to start handing out gender tests in Niner Talk.

Sad but true.

yeah but atleast thats the quarterback. all this for a special teams coach? any team that loses because of their special teams coordinator was never good enough to go anywhere in the first place. (see Al Everest and the Seatle game)

I hear ya. NinerTalk has turned into a complaint deparment for the football ignorant.

But AXE...I just checked his stats in Madden 2010...and his overall rating blows! Oh noes....we're gonna suck!

Overreaction is something one is born with and cannot be cured I'm afraid. If anything, it makes for a good balance of ignorance and objectivity. I guess there can't be one without the other.

Agreed. It's the perfect example of hilarity.

*Read to Ricky Gervais narration* "Oh no can't believe Sing and McCloughan signed Shottenheimer instead of bringing MacD or Everest back., oooooo h the sky is falling my hairline is receding my kidneys backed up in the time I was making this comment ohhh nooooo I got Cancer, oooooohhhh no not only that but the 2010 season is lost because we hired somebody with more experience than both our slightly above average coaches who might know what he's doin on top of that all the fans will stay away cause the man is old. Ohhhhh "

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Jan 18, 2010 at 19:39:13 ]
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

Agreed. It's the perfect example of hilarity.

*Read to Ricky Gervais narration* "Oh no can't believe Sing and McCloughan signed Shottenheimer instead of bringing MacD or Everest back., oooooo h the sky is falling my hairline is receding my kidneys backed up in the time I was making this comment ohhh nooooo I got Cancer, oooooohhhh no not only that but the 2010 season is lost because we hired somebody with more experience than both our slightly above average coaches who might know what he's doin on top of that all the fans will stay away cause the man is old. Ohhhhh "

~Ceadder

I understand wanting coaches who have experience, but this is going a bit far. I hope our coaches don't need oxygen tanks! What happened to hiring young, up and coming coaches? We use to be well-known for that. That era is so far gone. Although I do trust Singletary, look how far this franchise has fallen.

[ Edited by PTulini on Jan 18, 2010 at 20:02:16 ]
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I know his coaching history, but are there any stats on this guy? Were his special teams units any good?

Special Teams Units under Kurt Schottenheimer

Year / Team / KR Ave Rnk / PR Ave Rnk
1987 / Browns / #24 / #6
1988 / Browns / #6 / #17
1989 / Chiefs / #19 / #8
1990 / Chiefs / #23 / #24
1991 / Chiefs / #28 / #16
1992 / Chiefs / #6 / #11
1993 / Chiefs / #14 / #2
1994 / Chiefs / #2 / #9

Well he had some success 20 years ago in the NFL

yeah, because ST has changed SO much in the last 20 years. How will he keep up with the modern age special teams!!

he will be fine. nobody knew who the crap Al Everest was before we hired him, and he ended up being a ST coach of the year award winner. people on this board are ridiculous. flipping out about nothing.

we hire Sing with very little experience, everyone complains. we hire Raye and Schottenheimer with decades of experience, everyone complains. seriously, shut up.

guys been in the NFL 30 years, i think he knows how special teams work. we have the players, all we need is a KR/PR.

This. People complain that Sing has no experience but when he hires someone with tons of experience its a bad move.

I swear 75% of our fanbase are a bunch b**tches and thats all they do. We may need to start handing out gender tests in Niner Talk.

Sad but true.

This!
Well at least our ST coach is getting a first hand look at players in the East-West Shrine game.
Did we even interview Bill Parcels for ST coach?

If McClueless and Sing didnt at least ask permission from the Dolphins, fire them immediately
the only reason to be disappointed (and really, as I said earlier, I don't give a s**t, because it doesn't matter who the STC is if we don't get a good return man) is that, reading a Bobby April quote earlier, he said that special teams is the first play of offense, and Sing, talking about Schotty, said that his experience as a DC will help him...My point being, philosophically, it seems like we will be using ST conservatively (bombshell, I know) with a defensive mentality rather than with a explosive and/or gambling approach with an intent to score.
Is Sing recruiting from the AARP? I swear all of the coaches he keeps picking up are in their last years coaching...
It feels good to have a Schottenheimer on the coaching staff.

Theres a gleam men.........................Lets get the gleam
I understand wanting coaches who have experience, but this is going a bit far. I hope our coaches don't need oxygen tanks! What happened to hiring young, up and coming coaches? We use to be well-known for that. That era is so far gone. Although I do trust Singletary, look how far this franchise has fallen.

Singletary really had no options... there is not a single up and coming coach that is going to work for him.... We have to take the dudes that have been out of football for at least a year, or the dudes that are way, way, way past their prime. In Schottenheimer's case, we got both. Here's to looking up at the Redskins, Browns and Seahawks within two years.... If you think this is a quality coaching staff, hit me up with a PM, I have something to sell you.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Well at least our ST coach is getting a first hand look at players in the East-West Shrine game.

Yeah, I liked it! It's like we karmically make up for the absence of Mike Nolan, our annual spy on the senior bowl. Hopefully this guy will know more what he's seeing.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
the only reason to be disappointed (and really, as I said earlier, I don't give a s**t, because it doesn't matter who the STC is if we don't get a good return man) is that, reading a Bobby April quote earlier, he said that special teams is the first play of offense, and Sing, talking about Schotty, said that his experience as a DC will help him...My point being, philosophically, it seems like we will be using ST conservatively (bombshell, I know) with a defensive mentality rather than with a explosive and/or gambling approach with an intent to score.

With all due respect, that doesn't make any sense. So when we are on the recieving end of punts and kickoffs, we are going to be conservative? I could see having a defensive mentality when we are punting or kicking off, but not when we are recieving. ST is 50/50 offensive and defensive mentalities last time I checked.

I think what Sing means is that there will be no dropoff in production when it comes to defending kicks.
Originally posted by pelos21:
Theres a gleam men.........................Lets get the gleam

I'm in.