LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Could Haralson play ILB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I like the way Spikes has played, BUT he's older and won't be around too much longer. Do you think Haralson is stout enough to play ILB along side Willis?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
There was talk about this a while ago when Haralson hadn't panned out as a OLB in the 3-4 defense. I think Haralson is strictly a 3-4 OLB, 4-3 DE. He doesn't have the technique nor athletic ability to transition into the TED role in my opinion.
Originally posted by GEEK:
There was talk about this a while ago when Haralson hadn't panned out as a OLB in the 3-4 defense. I think Haralson is strictly a 3-4 OLB, 4-3 DE. He doesn't have the technique nor athletic ability to transition into the TED role in my opinion.
Geek- I really enjoyed your thoughts about football economics. Are you an econ teacher?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by stevenking57:
Geek- I really enjoyed your thoughts about football economics. Are you an econ teacher?

Senior at the Uni. of Minnesota studying economics with a business minor. Corporate b***h 4 lifez

Thanks for the kind words.

[ Edited by GEEK on Jan 15, 2010 at 16:48:12 ]
I think the player that would make the easiest transition to ILB would be Ahmad Brooks. He played MLB throughout HS and College. They could use him as an ILB on run downs, then pass rusher on obvious passing downs.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
I think the player that would make the easiest transition to ILB would be Ahmad Brooks. He played MLB throughout HS and College. They could use him as an ILB on run downs, then pass rusher on obvious passing downs.

He was already tried Brooks at ILB before moving him to OLB. He's a much better fit outside.

ILBs are somewhat easy to find in the draft. Willis quality is one thing, but it's not too difficult to get Ulbrich quality in the mid to late rounds ala McKillop.

He was already tried Brooks at ILB before moving him to OLB. He's a much better fit outside.

ILBs are somewhat easy to find in the draft. Willis quality is one thing, but it's not too difficult to get Ulbrich quality in the mid to late rounds ala McKillop.

Do you like McKillop as the future TED? I know alot of people want McClain if given the chance. But we have other needs to be filled before we draft an ILB.

Agree there, Brooks has natural pass rush ability something which we lack, they are just trying to cultivate it!

For ILBs we need a Ted who can take on blocks and allow Willis to roam (covering ability would be good), should be easier to pick up in later rounds if we need, though I think they are cultivating McKillop for that role (not sure)
McK will be the gut crusher to replace Spikes
I don't think the ILB positon fits Parys. I think he should stay where he is at. I am still hopefull that he will delvelope more consitancy, or at least return to the 8 sack level he was at in 08. Truthfully I am really hoping Ahmed Brooks turns into a sack monster.

• GEEK
  • Veteran

Do you like McKillop as the future TED? I know alot of people want McClain if given the chance. But we have other needs to be filled before we draft an ILB.

I personally like McKillop as the successor to Spikes, but the team doesn't see it that way. They see him as a nice backup and ST ace - good teams have these role players.

Now as far as McClain is concerned, it really depends on the drafting philosophy of McCloughan this year. In the past, he's had a Best Player Available (BPA) type mentality with his drafts.

This year will be different in my opinion. McCloughan is on the hot seat for piss poor drafts, and there's no guarantee that Singletary and McClouglan will be back in 2011. Because of this, I see McCloughan focusing on players that will plug immediate holes instead of players that may start out as a backup, then starter, but is BPA. (if that makes sense)

If we don't get any offensive line talent in free agency, I could definitely see both 1st round picks used on OT and OG. If we do address some of the issues in free agency, then I think there's more leeway for McClain to be a 49er.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I don't think the ILB positon fits Parys. I think he should stay where he is at. I am still hopefull that he will delvelope more consitancy, or at least return to the 8 sack level he was at in 08. Truthfully I am really hoping Ahmed Brooks turns into a sack monster.

Agree
Nobody needs to be moved. You can never have enough pass rushers. They stay fresh allowing constant pressure from that side.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Haralson sucks.
I think haralson will get better next year..

As a result of brooks improving, causing oc's to gameplan for him... haralson might get free easier.
Share 49ersWebzone