did this really need its own thread
Originally posted by valrod33:
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:
Originally posted by Lifer:
How does the NFL choose the teams for these games? What is the process?

The 49ers just played an international game a couple years ago. Most of the teams in the league have never played an international game. How is it that we're double dipping (AND giving up a home game to boot)?

Answer: Low revenue team with a long losing streak and a decrepit stadium. The 49ers will be the league's whipping boy until we get a new stadium and start winning.

or it could mean that the Niners are loved in other countries as well

yes sir, the most popular NFL team outside the US

Is this based on actual data, or a straw poll at your local bar? I'd like to believe it's true, but the evidence I've found so far indicates that the Patriots and the Cowboys are the most popular teams in Europe generally, and the UK in particular.
Originally posted by kezar49er:
I can not figure out why that a hole owner would not raise hell about being the home team. What a huge loss. For a team struggling to reach the playoffs a home game is huge. The Dork family continue to be the friggin worst owners in the NFL. Absolutely no backbone. Hell the Jag's owner said hell no to going to London.

I am pretty damn sure that the NFL compensates the team nicely for the lost home revenue. Since the Niners are near the bottom of the league in game day revenue, I'm thinking the Yorks were eager participants.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:
How does the NFL choose the teams for these games? What is the process?

The 49ers just played an international game a couple years ago. Most of the teams in the league have never played an international game. How is it that we're double dipping (AND giving up a home game to boot)?

Answer: Low revenue team with a long losing streak and a decrepit stadium. The 49ers will be the league's whipping boy until we get a new stadium and start winning.

or it could mean that the Niners are loved in other countries as well

yes sir, the most popular NFL team outside the US

Is this based on actual data, or a straw poll at your local bar? I'd like to believe it's true, but the evidence I've found so far indicates that the Patriots and the Cowboys are the most popular teams in Europe generally, and the UK in particular.

I can tell you that in Ireland the most popular teams are the Patriots, Chargers, Giants and 49ers. Why you may ask? By far here (and i assume in the UK too) the large majority of NFL fans are gonna be between the ages of 18-25. Irish college students are allowed apply, and usually get summer visa's for the US. Easily the most popular destinations are Boston (Patriots), New York (Giants, in my experience its almost always the Giants, not the Jets), San Diego (Chargers) and San Francisco (49ers). I agree the Cowboys can be quite popular and i would bet they get a game next year.

So far the teams that have played in England include the Giants, Chargers and Patriots. The only team missing from my list is the 49ers. Make sense?

[ Edited by Kalen49ers on Jan 15, 2010 at 13:19:12 ]
Originally posted by highway49:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Hmmm, If the season starts on September 12, this looks to be a week 8 matchup. Guess we'll have our bye week in week 9.

-9fA

Good point, but is a bye guaranteed after a international game...? did that happen this year.?

I believe that in all cases where team's have been asked to play overseas, that they've been compensated with a bye week immediately following.

-9fA
Originally posted by highway49:
Hmmm, If the season starts on September 12, this looks to be a week 8 matchup. Guess we'll have our bye week in week 9.

-9fA

Good point, but is a bye guaranteed after a international game...? did that happen this year.?

I believe that in all cases where team's have been asked to play overseas, that they've been compensated with a bye week immediately following.

-9fA

Copy that, Thanks

Didnt you read what he said? HE HAS CONCERNS DAMMIT!!!
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
freeeee thread!!!!!! boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies
Originally posted by luv49rs:

elltee where are you?

Nooooooooo, Rickkkkkyyyyyyyyyy
any early news about how and when to get tix to the game ? i'm planing on this as i live 2 hours by train from london
Already making excuses for next year? These are professionals, they need to suck it up and handle their business.
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Originally posted by luv49rs:

elltee where are you?

fisting, squirting, licking, and sucking oh my!
Heathrow is closest to Wembley, but it may be cheaper to fly to Manchester and take the train down to London as hotels and food/drink are much cheaper up North. Delta, American and Continental all fly to Manchester. Also you can usually get a cheap flight to Manchester on PIA (Pakistan Intl Airways) out of JFK if you dont mind flying with them or Virgin Atlantic out of Orlando.
Share 49ersWebzone