There are 329 users in the forums

49ers playing home game in London

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:
Originally posted by Lifer:
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Lifer:
How does the NFL choose the teams for these games? What is the process?

The 49ers just played an international game a couple years ago. Most of the teams in the league have never played an international game. How is it that we're double dipping (AND giving up a home game to boot)?

Answer: Low revenue team with a long losing streak and a decrepit stadium. The 49ers will be the league's whipping boy until we get a new stadium and start winning.

or it could mean that the Niners are loved in other countries as well

yes sir, the most popular NFL team outside the US

Is this based on actual data, or a straw poll at your local bar? I'd like to believe it's true, but the evidence I've found so far indicates that the Patriots and the Cowboys are the most popular teams in Europe generally, and the UK in particular.

The Cowboys! Really? maybe the younger fans are mostly patriots fans but i think there are alot of older 49er fans in hiding all over europe. When they first started showing the NFL the Niners were THE team. Iceland is a small Country but i donĀ“t know a single Cowboys fan here at least.

ya i dont know about the cowboys man. i went to England and Cyprus three years ago and the only football jerseys i saw were 49ers jerseys. Cyprus is probably due to my dad because whenever we would send the relatives there things they would be niners hats and shirts and stuff like that lol. the niners made their fans around the world during the glory years, when a team is good for 20 years their fan base grows.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
This from Maiocco:

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/01/niners-give-up-home-game-to-play-broncos-in-london.html

"This should fulfill the 49ers' requirement to give up a home game to play overseas. Every team is required to give up a home game over a period of time to "host" an international game. The 49ers wanted to give up a home game while they were still playing in antiquated Candlestick Park."

It certainly makes good economic sense to give up your home game in low revenue Candlestick Park, rather than in the high revenue new stadium.
  • mod
  • Veteran
I flew into Gatwick (outskirts of London) the last time I was there, took a short train ride in. I cant say which is better, I was 13 and dont remember much. I'm thinking about making the trip... i'll have to figure out a way to save up enough cash maybe make a 10-12 day vacation out of it.
  • mod
  • Veteran
All I gotta say is that I was back to 100% in 1-2 days. These guys travel ALL THE TIME!

I think they will be alright.
giants won the superbowl the year they went...

i dont think it really matters, it just sucks that we lose a home game more..
  • mod
  • Veteran
just wondering... where can I buy tickets?
Originally posted by CainanUK:
Heathrow is closest to Wembley, but it may be cheaper to fly to Manchester and take the train down to London as hotels and food/drink are much cheaper up North. Delta, American and Continental all fly to Manchester. Also you can usually get a cheap flight to Manchester on PIA (Pakistan Intl Airways) out of JFK if you dont mind flying with them or Virgin Atlantic out of Orlando.

Live in London but study in Manchester. I would advise not doing this tbh it would be a lot of hassle and London is a much better city if you want to make a holiday out of it.

If you have any questions about London I will be willing to try and offer some advice. Though living in London I will not be that great for hotel advice (as I have never had to use them)
Woooo!! Finally a reason to get my passport!!! Soo going to this game!
Well that seals it for me. I was already on the fence about whether or not to renew my season tickets and now that they are going to SCREW me out of another game when I already have to pay for four f**king preaseason games I see no reason to buy.

P.S. I can hear it now. Alex didn't play well because of the time zone change...

I kid, I kid.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jan 15, 2010 at 15:20:55 ]
Originally posted by hofer36:
i have concerns that if niners make the jump to legit playoff contender, as we all hope, that this game could have a negative effect---

if the routine is going goood, and niners are flying high, could things get out of whack by having to travel overseas....

and if the playoff race is tight could losing 1 home game make a difference....the niners for some time have played better at home

They will most likely get a bye after they play in London.

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Well that seals it for me. I was already on the fence about whether or not to renew my season tickets and now that they are going to SCREW me out a game when I already have to pay for four f**king preaseason games.

P.S. I can hear it now. Alex didn't play well because of the time zone change...

I kid, I kid.

The season ticket prices will be reduced by one game right? If not, that is f'n BS.

And you only pay for two dumb preseason games right? I hate that they make you pay full price for that.
I live in London and study in Manchester, I went to the Saints Chargers game (which was great) the atmosphere was ok but not that great tbh, mainly because there was not enough support for either team.

What I find horrible is the amount of Patriots fans in the UK. In my football team there are 5 pats fans and the DC is also a Pats fan (can't tell you the amount of laps I have done for hating on them). Be prepared to be disgusted by the amount of Patriots jerseys at a game where they are not playing, it will probably look like a Pats home game.

Also after the game the wait to get out of the stadium is really bad, waited ages with huge crowds, I have been to big events before but this was something else....

TBH I have mixed feelings about this game, I am ecstatic that I get to see my 9ers play, but annoyed we are losing a home game, especially as the majority of fans will not appreciate it.... I am a little surprised that they chose the 9ers, as I thought they were going for teams that play "attractive" football (big throwing teams) rather than the hard running game that Singletary wanted.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Well that seals it for me. I was already on the fence about whether or not to renew my season tickets and now that they are going to SCREW me out a game when I already have to pay for four f**king preaseason games.

I kid, I kid.

The season ticket prices will be reduced by one game right? If not, that is f'n BS.

And you only pay for two dumb preseason games right? I hate that they make you pay full price for that.

The guy I buy them from charges me for four...

Just kidding, your right. It still blows.
  • ashes49er
  • Info N/A
I'm a niners fan in London and freaked out when I just saw we're playing at Wembley, then found out we were losing a home game and it actually pissed me off...ha ha. Anyway can't wait...and the guy above is right SO many Pats fans in the UK, wankers!
  • Stuuk
  • Veteran
For all you guys planning on coming over, the best airport to fly into is Heathrow.

To be honest i'm pretty sure that its the only airport that actually has direct flights from SFO.

The 4 big airlines, AA, United, BA and Virgin Atlantic all have a number of direct daily flights. Also the American ones will have connecting flights from SFO to Chicago and New York etc and then onto London, havent checked but this might workout cheaper if your on a budget.

Also I know that AA, BA and Virgin all currently have sales on until 26th January so you might be able to save a bit if you book now.

When i've been to SF before i've always used Virgin, but I would imagine all are ok.

Flight time ranges with a max of 13 Hours but my experience has usually been quicker than that. Nearly all flights to the UK are in the evening so you will arrive the following morning with the time difference. I have a bit of experience with this particular route so if you have any questions about this, places to stay or London itself please let me know and I will do my best to help/make enquiries on your behalf.

I'm hoping we can get a 49erswebzone gathering!

I'm on Twitter: Stupac3uk
Share 49ersWebzone