LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

Singletary has not considered moving Clements to safety??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/01/will-these-three-49ers-be-on-2010-opening-day-roster.html

This article from MM Contradicts earlier reports of Nate Clements moving to free safety. If this is true I cant see us drafting another corner in round 1, especially with the recent Extension of tarell brown & improved play of Shawntae Spencer. Ive also noticed McCloughan likes to draft db's in the later rounds. Since he's been our GM the highest hes drafted a db was in round 3(reggie smith 2008).

[ Edited by GMniner805 on Jan 14, 2010 at 17:47:03 ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=136049
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for baltien.
I'm glad he hasn't. Why should he? Contrary to what the Madden playing crowd thinks, moving Clements to safety would be stupid.
Originally posted by baltien:
I'm glad he hasn't. Why should he? Contrary to what the Madden playing crowd thinks, moving Clements to safety would be stupid.

I dont even do that on madden, I put reggie smith in over Mike lewis... his speed makes up for his lack of instincts..

But back to real life, if we keep Clements I hope he stays at CB.
Only people on 49ersWebzone think that is a good idea.
Clements has already gone on record as saying he will not play safety.
If there's one glaring weakness in Clement's game, it's his inability to play the deep ball. How would moving him to safety change that? It would only exploit it.
I like Clements best as nickel back. He no longer has the speed to handle the starting spot against speedy receivers; what he DOES have is veteran savvy to come in at the nickel and instantly sniff out what's happening. It's why you put a more experienced player at nickel! and with passing offenses proliferating, the nickelback is just as important as the starting CBs. Not sure you pay that guy $6MM, though.
Originally posted by aiiyiiyiii:
I like Clements best as nickel back. He no longer has the speed to handle the starting spot against speedy receivers; what he DOES have is veteran savvy to come in at the nickel and instantly sniff out what's happening. It's why you put a more experienced player at nickel! and with passing offenses proliferating, the nickelback is just as important as the starting CBs. Not sure you pay that guy $6MM, though.

yea that's an expensive nickle back... if we keep him put him at CB2. he needs to take a paycut.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by aiiyiiyiii:

yea that's an expensive nickle back... if we keep him put him at CB2. he needs to take a paycut.

I really think that Clements could really excel in the same kind of capacity in which Charles Woodson did this season & he won defensive player of the year. He would be great at matching up on tight ends & blitzing the QB also.

Originally posted by GMniner805:
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/01/will-these-three-49ers-be-on-2010-opening-day-roster.html

This article from MM Contradicts earlier reports of Nate Clements moving to free safety. If this is true I cant see us drafting another corner in round 1, especially with the recent Extension of tarell brown & improved play of Shawntae Spencer. Ive also noticed McCloughan likes to draft db's in the later rounds. Since he's been our GM the highest hes drafted a db was in round 3(reggie smith 2008).

MM makes sense to me. Six million dollar salary fo a guy moving out of his natural position? Doesn't sound likely.
Amen
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Only people on 49ersWebzone think that is a good idea.

lol nice!
seriously why should he think about doing this? seriously think real long & hard about it. it would be a mistake to take our best cb & put him at safety especially when this draft is loaded with safeties. he has had some lapses, but he has done awesome against big time wr's.
Share 49ersWebzone