LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 326 users in the forums

NEW ALT. UNIFORMS

Shop Find 49ers gear online
^ Yes, I really think those 1955/1994 throwbacks are the most feasible (or in words the Yorks can understand: CHEAPER!) to alter into from the regular ones since all that has to be done with their regular uniforms are:

1) Helmet - can stay the same current gold ones they wear, maybe just switch the current oval logo to the 1989-95 ones (the one without the extra gold border around the red "SF" oval).

*Note: In 1994, the team continued to just use their regular gold helmets since the original 1955 helmet was a plain red helmet with a silver stripe and it would have been too much a logistical headache to order and properly fit 50+ brand new helmets for what they thought were just a couple throwback games. Other teams did this, like the Jets who wore their 1968 unis with a GREEN helmet since that was their regular helmet color in 1994 (the stripes and logo decals were changed of course, but it was a weird combo of old/wrong color stripes and stickers on a wrong color helmet!)

2) Jerseys - remove those smaller "TV" numbers that are on top of the shoulders; sew the black-bordered "shadowed" numbers in place of the normal, plain numbers on the front and back of the jerseys (note, the #'s 1, 2, 4, and 7 are in a different, simpler block numeral)

3) Pants - white pants with red-black-red stripes

4) Socks - normal, solid red (if its dubbed an alternate uni) or red sox with three white stripes (for a more throwback look)

5) Cleats - black ('cos that's what they wore in the 50's!)

I really don't see the team and equipment mangers spending the extra time (and $$) buying extra sets of silver helmets or pants and sewing white jerseys with those UCLA-type stripes on the shoulders (that 1962 uniform) just for the occasional throwback game, when the above mentioned alterations to the normal unis would be quicker and cheaper to change into (especially if its just the jerseys and pants that have to be altered, the helmet and socks can stay as they are). This could also mean the team can wear the alternates/throwbacks more often than the usual 1-2 home games a year (as they did with the 80's throwbacks from 2002-08), maybe twice at home and twice on the road for a total of 4 times a year.
[ Edited by Buonaparte69 on Jan 26, 2010 at 3:14 AM ]
Originally posted by momoney925:

yup.
Crabtree looks the best in the uniform out of gore, willis, davis
idk why lol

Probably 'cos of his Deion Sanders connections

...and since Deion+1994 season+1994 throwbacks all go hand in hand. His first game w/ the Niners (Sept. 18, 1994 WK 3 @ LA Rams) was the first time they wore them, while his last game as a Niner (Jan. 29, 1995 vs. Chargers in Super Bowl XXIX) was the last time they wore them).

Another suggestion for these alternates--

^ Perhaps only wear them for the nationally televised night games the team plays a few times year? Apart from at most 2 games a year on ESPN MNF or NFLN TNF (and usually always against the tardinals! ) the Niners haven't been seen much on primetime games in recent seasons. In fact, they have yet to be seen on that new NBC SNF that started in '06 !

I know, I know the team has to play better and have consistent winning records year in and year out again for the execs @ the primetime networks to regularly show them again (unlike "america's team", the cowgirls who can be 0-16 and will STILL get their 4+ night games the next season! )

Well, just an idea. I know the Ravens have( or had?) sort of the same thing where they wore all black unis for just night games. Hopefully since they were at least .500 this past season the Niners can finally get an NBC Sunday Night game next season, as well as a MNF and TNF game. Then they can use the occasion to wear the 1955/94 alternates (since IMO the red on the jerseys seem brighter and cleaner with white pants than with the gold ones @ nighttime), as well as advertise/promote them to jersey buyers for the first couple seasons. Hopefully the jerseys still have their old luck!

[ Edited by Buonaparte69 on Jan 26, 2010 at 1:34 AM ]
  • hps49
  • Veteran
I bet... they'll wear them in London!
  • hps49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Buonaparte69:
Originally posted by momoney925:

yup.
Crabtree looks the best in the uniform out of gore, willis, davis
idk why lol

Probably 'cos of his Deion Sanders connections

...and since Deion+1994 season+1994 throwbacks all go hand in hand. His first game w/ the Niners (Sept. 18, 1994 WK 3 @ LA Rams) was the first time they wore them, while his last game as a Niner (Jan. 29, 1995 vs. Chargers in Super Bowl XXIX) was the last time they wore them).

ThAt looks SICKKKKKKK :)

Speaks for itself: FACEBOOK FAN PAGE FOR THESE UNIS

[ Edited by Buonaparte69 on Jan 26, 2010 at 3:31 AM ]
Originally posted by hps49:
I bet... they'll wear them in London!

yeah, Brits seem to like teams (or "clubs") that wear red (and win):

- Manchester United
- Arsenal
- Liverpool
- England

...might be the old "redcoat" thing
While we're at it, why not bring back the old logo with just the solid black stripe instead of the gold and black?

Originally posted by prime21:
While we're at it, why not bring back the old logo with just the solid black stripe instead of the gold and black?

like i said, that can be easily (and cheaply) done with these current helmets-- peel off, slap on, done

it's not like what they had to do for the 1996-2008 helmets where they had to change the helmet stripes and the logo decal and the facemask...
[ Edited by Buonaparte69 on Jan 26, 2010 at 6:13 AM ]

I'd just wish they would get rid of that stupid font infront of the chest & put the ol skoo 49ers lettering in gold would look nice especially on the white jerseys

can you guys photoshop the photo's above so we could see how they would look???
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:

I'd just wish they would get rid of that stupid font infront of the chest & put the ol skoo 49ers lettering in gold would look nice especially on the white jerseys

can you guys photoshop the photo's above so we could see how they would look???

I don't have a problem with the current lettering but I wouldn't mind seeing the old school one to see what it would look like

Those were the days!
Share 49ersWebzone