LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 126 users in the forums

Is there much of a difference between the Yorks and Art Modell?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
There's been lot of chatter recently about the prospect of the Jags and/or Bills moving to Los Angeles, even though 5 other teams, including the 49ers, have been mentioned as possible candidates for a relocation to the Southland. I've noticed that whenever anyone, 49er fan or not, brings up the possibility of the Niners moving, they're instantly told that it's not possible because they're going to move to Santa Clara and they have too much history and tradition in the Bay.

But isn't that exactly what they said about the Browns under Art Modell? They had plenty of tradition and history in Cleveland and they were trying to get a stadium. The Yorks aren't exactly well known for their willingness to spend, and the public seems pretty strongly opposed to a stadium in Santa Clara. Jed may be young and optimistic, but he may be a bit too naive. So is it really that far out of the question that this team will eventually become the Los Angeles 49ers?

[ Edited by area49 on Jan 13, 2010 at 13:36:55 ]
That is why the browns are still in Cleavland. the team left but the name stayed. And that is why they got a team back so quickly
The League has a lot to do with it. The only reason the Jags and Bills are always mentioned as candidates to move to Los Angeles is because of the small market they're in. The NFL hates to have those teams there if they can't generate any revenue or interest. The NFL is like a Mafia, they need money coming in from everywhere. Los Angeles is always ideal for them.

Now the Browns situation was weird. The Cleveland fans loved their Browns and Modell still moved the team. What hurts the 49ers is while they have some loyal die hard fans the ones that live in San Francisco are not that into the team or football. Thus even with tradition nobody wants to fork out money for a new stadium. Honestly San Francisco is not a good football town in contrast to Cleveland.

The stadium issue is the main reason we always come up in discussions about moving to L.A.
The move for me will be a blessing in disguise.

I will be heartbroken because the team I grew up rooting for moved.

But I will have tons of time to develop myself as a better human being because I will divorce Football.
Originally posted by popalpo:
The move for me will be a blessing in disguise.

I will be heartbroken because the team I grew up rooting for moved.

But I will have tons of time to develop myself as a better human being because I will divorce Football.

Why can't you be a good enough human being and love your football team?
Yeah, Art Modell has a Super Bowl ring to his credit.
Yorks are nothing like Art Modell. Modell won a Super Bowl. Yorks have one stinking playoff game and still have no clue how to run a football franchise.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
The Colts had great tradition in Baltimore and moved. The Raiders, at the time, had great tradition in Oakland and moved. The Browns had great tradition in Cleveland and moved, though the name and records remained in Cleveland. At the end of the day, it always comes down to $$$. So, sure, the Yorks could ultimately move the team notwithstanding the 49ers tradition in SF Bay Area.

With that said, I'll believe there will be a team in L.A. when I see it. California is such a mess right now, it is going to be nearly impossible to get a stadium built. Look at all the teams in CA with stadium issues...the 49ers have been trying for over 10 years; the Chargers are winning and are struggling to get anywhere on a stadium in SD; the both the A's and Raiders don't like their stadium deals anymore either but appear to be stuck without a lot of viable alternatives; L.A. has been without a football team since the Rams and Raiders left and for the most part has been ambivalent at best about building a new stadium or renovating one of the existing sites. The only stadiums built in recent memory in California are the Giants ballpark and the Padres ballpark, which were both built in different economic times and the Giants ballpark was largely privately funded.

I keep hearing that the NFL will be returning to L.A. "in the next couple of years" but it never happens. I've almost been hearing that we are within a few years of curing cancer for almost as long. In both cases, I'll steal a line from Singletary and just say, "Don't tell me. Show me," before I get too excited.
Originally posted by area49:
There's been lot of chatter recently about the prospect of the Jags and/or Bills moving to Los Angeles, even though 5 other teams, including the 49ers, have been mentioned as possible candidates for a relocation to the Southland. I've noticed that whenever anyone, 49er fan or not, brings up the possibility of the Niners moving, they're instantly told that it's not possible because they're going to move to Santa Clara and they have too much history and tradition in the Bay.

But isn't that exactly what they said about the Browns under Art Modell? They had plenty of tradition and history in Cleveland and they were trying to get a stadium. The Yorks aren't exactly well known for their willingness to spend, and the public seems pretty strongly opposed to a stadium in Santa Clara. Jed may be young and optimistic, but he may be a bit too naive. So is it really that far out of the question that this team will eventually become the Los Angeles 49ers?

The public seems strongly opposed to a Santa Clara stadium? Really?

The only "public" that matters is the segment of the 46,000 registered voters within the City of Santa Clara that actually go out and vote come election day. I haven't seen any recent polling but the last time I did see a poll it was pretty favorable FOR the stadium . . . and a simple majority is all that is required as opposed to the 2/3 rule.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Yeah, Art Modell has a Super Bowl ring to his credit.

Eventually, and having ripped the team from it's heartland. I loathed Modell for what he did. I will take the Yorks any day of the week. Despite the webzone's prejudice.

Originally posted by area49:

Much difference? Yes.

So many things need to occur for a franchise to move, including a vote from every owner in football. Of all the teams looking to possibly move, the 49ers have to be near the bottom of that list.
I pray the Santa Clara vote goes good, and we have a new stadium soon, i dont want to see us move to LA, i will definately be pissed off and be one angry fan.

But i dont think the yorks will wanna move the team.
Modell is better.
Baltimore Colts moved and look what it did for their franchise

Just sayin'
  • Dreskee
  • Info N/A
With Modell the browns never won a SB but they leave town and voila his new team wins one. The LA move not gonna happen, but if that did happen and they won a SB how bad would that suck.
Share 49ersWebzone