There are 66 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers need a legit backup RB

Singletary & Co. are high on Coffee (no pun intended)...and he did show more & more in limited opportunities as the season wore on. He should continue to improve...but, he's too much like Gore. We need two things in the backfield...speed and power. I'd love to see us get Spiller...who could provide the speed and elevate KR game a ton. We also need a big, power RB...a Gerhart, Dixon, Clay, Unga type of back. When you look at the playoff teams, they're just about all 3-4 deep in quality RB's...we're not even within sniffing distance of that, and we need to be if we're going to be a playoff team.
I like coffee, I think he will be good next year. Raye said his problem was that he wanted to bounce it to the outside all the time and never run it up the gut, so raye forced him to run it inside. When frank went down and glenn took over, that's what he did. If you remember preseason, him and sheets were gashing the crap out of defenses. Once raye is comfortable with coffee and coffee is comfortable with the system, he will be a decent back up, he might be better. Only time will tell
  • rob28
  • Veteran
its a good thing tthere's plenty of backup rb's available in the draft and free agency.
Coffee will be putting on weight this offseason to serve as more of a goal line back, and possibly spot FB/H-back. We have not seen enough of him to determine what he is. Ideally, he becomes a great goal line back.

The need for speed is certainly a desire of many, but not a necessity. I agree that Spiller or a similar back could serve multiple roles, including as a slot receiver, receiver out of the backfield, and outside running threat.

It would be a luxury. However, it would be doomed to fail in becoming a luxury without improvement along the O-line.
Grabbing another RB will help our team stay competitive ..MRob is a good special teams player, but we need a speedy back that can change the pace of the game and give the offense another element to attack a defense with, Coffee is a decent back and I agree he will improve with experience and a better offensive line, but we still need quality depth and some talent at RB
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Originally posted by aiiyiiyiii:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Kory Sheets.

Sheets > Spiller

/thread.

Hated losing Sheets. Hoping he's nowhere near as good as Spiller, but it's hard to tell since 49er brass didn't see their way clear to keeping Sheets.

I don't recall any highlight reel material by Sheets

Spiller is worth one of the two firsts, the other being a Big Ugly

Kory Sheets

[ Edited by GoldenIowa49er on Jan 13, 2010 at 08:29:52 ]
Spiller!!!
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
c'mon guys look at our gaping needs....give coffee a chance

What needs are more gaping than our special teams??

Spiller would be a quick & easy fix, not to mention the extra dimension he'll add to our offense the same one thats been working out so well for the vikings & eagles(both teams that beat us in 2009)

Yes we need a RT, If theres an upgrade available at 17 I say we adress the need there. You can also make a case for finding a solid tackle in the 2nd round per guys like Tony Ugoh, Winston Justice & even Phil Loadholt last year.

Yes we need help in the secondary.. But Haden/Berry are the only "must haves" I see out of all the guys predicted to go in round 1, doubt either falls to 13. With Clements moving to free safety and Goldson sliding into the strong safety spot, we can draft a few speedy corners in the later rounds to go along with spencer, brown , & maybe bly.. that would be a solid group.

[ Edited by GMniner805 on Jan 13, 2010 at 09:20:00 ]
Originally posted by GMniner805:

Spiller would be a quick & easy fix, not to mention the extra dimension he'll add to our offense the same one thats been working out so well for the vikings & eagles(both teams that beat us in 2009)

Yes we need a RT, If theres an upgrade available at 17 I say we adress the need there. You can also make a case for finding a solid tackle in the 2nd round per guys like Tony Ugoh, Winston Justice & even Phil Loadholt last year.

Yes we need help in the secondary.. But Haden is the only "must have" I see out of all the guys predicted to go in round 1, doubt he falls to 13. With Clements moving to free safety and Goldson sliding into the strong safety spot, we can draft a few speedy corners in the later rounds to go along with spencer, brown , & maybe bly.. that would be a solid group.

Spiller looks fantastic I just have a tough time getting over where we drafted Coffee for him to do nothing

Yes we need help in the secondary.. But Haden is the only "must have" I see out of all the guys predicted to go in round 1, doubt he falls to 13. With Clements moving to free safety and Goldson sliding into the strong safety spot, we can draft a few speedy corners in the later rounds to go along with spencer, brown , & maybe bly.. that would be a solid group.

Spiller looks fantastic I just have a tough time getting over where we drafted Coffee for him to do nothing

With Gore on the decline (well put by the guy who said hes on borrowed time), Coffee & Spiller would be our two headed monster of the future. I think they would complement each other quite well.

With Gore on the decline (well put by the guy who said hes on borrowed time), Coffee & Spiller would be our two headed monster of the future. I think they would complement each other quite well.

LOL yeah Gore is on the decline he put up the 2nd most rushing yards in his career even after missing a couple of games, he had 10 rushing TDs. yeah f**k Frank Gore lets bring in someone else this fool is playing like a moron
There may be many reasons for signing that new fullback. I think for one thing he could ease out Moran Norris and another I suspect they might use him to replace the third tightend and or Michael Robinson. From What I saw this guy could run the ball and has the size to do some serious blocking. I think with another special teams coach and Robinson's injuries might make him vulnerable and both Britt and this guy could be the fullbacks and we get a good runningback to supplement Gore and Coffee.
I believe both Britt and this new guy have much more to offer in the ofensive scheme.
I also believe the special teams degraded from the lack of new quality players instead of older vets like Ulbrich, Robinson, Battle etc. I think that is a major part of this reasoning. Either way with solid fullbacks and or a tightend to block should shore up the blocking and while some blast Snyder, I think a good part of it is the scheme and the tactics used as well as the obvious plays called by three stooges acting school dropouts we have for coaches. I still however feel we should invest at least two picks for OL and would prefer three. I have said I would love a superior guard like Iupati first for the interior buildup and because you get better quality per position then a tackle. I then would consider a trade if we can still get a good tackle and then pick a guy but I think from all I hear Veldheer has impressed and I would target him around the third. I think we need a db in the second and pass rusher but I would consider trading a player plus a lower pick for a passrusher. If we do trade down or pass on a tackle I think the second pick should be a top pass rusher. For DBs I would go for on the second pick, and depending on where they feel they could get Veldheer, I think I would try for a running back and then a backup center if they can find a real bulldog of a blocker. I think what with Balmer, Macdonal and RJF, I would bundle one with a lower pick for third round pick. In fact, we could get a very good pick by trading Aubrayo Franklin and I think it would be advantageous to do so. There are quite a few Notable big bodies out there and we can pick up some good players. I think between the obvious risk of bombing on a tackle, I think we have enough to do well enough and having an uber guard and big fullbacks should make things much better. I saw few runs between Chilo and Snyder when there were heavy rushes outside of Snyder. I am not sure why they did not try to run inside of the pass rush but I suspect Norris was too slow to get there. All in all I think having both Boone and Veldheer should alleviate the weaknesse we have seen even if most of it was self generated by our coaches.
Originally posted by valrod33:

LOL yeah Gore is on the decline he put up the 2nd most rushing yards in his career even after missing a couple of games, he had 10 rushing TDs. yeah f**k Frank Gore lets bring in someone else this fool is playing like a moron

PLUS look at his total carries the last 3 years...way below almost any other top tier RB....lots of tread left on the tires....I'd say he's our starter for at least 3 more years
Originally posted by valrod33:

Have you forgotton all about Gores health issues?? Hes gotten injured almost every season. Its not like hes getting an enormous amount of carries either, hes only averaging 230 a season. I love the guy & hope he can give us a couple more productive seasons, but hes turning 27 in may If we dont start preparing for life after Gore were gona be f**ked.

PS id expect any decent back to put up 1000+ yards & 10 tds in our run based offense, plus most of his yards came after our improved passing attack opened things up.
Toby Gerhardt