LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

49ers need a legit backup RB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
2009 Season Stats

Gore 229carries 1120 yards 4.9avg Long:80yd td
Coffee 83carries 226 yards 2.7avg Long:17yd
Robinson 2carries 3 yards .7avg Long: 4yd

Almost half the ypc. With the SAME offensive line.

Gore is our most valuable offensive player. If he goes down with an injury, which gets more likely with each passing year, the season is OVER. Nobody will respect the run.

Forget KR/PR. The 49ers NEED a talented backup RB to split carries with Gore to keep him fresh. The return duties just happen to fill a huge need as well, that might net some nice extra yards each game.

Here's hoping the 49ers pick up a solid free agent, which isn't likely, or a nice draft pick like CJSpiller.
I agree with you 100%. I think Frank Gore is almost on borrwed time now and the fact is most successful NFL teams have 2 good RB's and I don't think very much of Glenn Coffee.
  • Dreskee
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by confusedrhino:
2009 Season Stats

Gore 229carries 1120 yards 4.9avg Long:80yd td
Coffee 83carries 226 yards 2.7avg Long:17yd
Robinson 2carries 3 yards .7avg Long: 4yd

Almost half the ypc. With the SAME offensive line.

Gore is our most valuable offensive player. If he goes down with an injury, which gets more likely with each passing year, the season is OVER. Nobody will respect the run.

Forget KR/PR. The 49ers NEED a talented backup RB to split carries with Gore to keep him fresh. The return duties just happen to fill a huge need as well, that might net some nice extra yards each game.

Here's hoping the 49ers pick up a solid free agent, which isn't likely, or a nice draft pick like CJSpiller.

Touche
were you guys watching the same games i was? When they put in Coffee our Oline was just flat out terrible. Gore couldnt get any runs either. He rushes for a hundred in three out of his last four and all of a sudden everyone forgets the earlier games? The Oline played like sht. Coffee is a good back. hell be a good player. Full of talent and possibly wouldve wont he hiesman if he stayed in school this year.

We need a change of pace back who can be primarly our KR/PR. not a backup RB. spend the money and draft picks on more important things...like better offensive linemen.
Given where he was drafted, we can't give up on him that quickly.

He didn't look that bad to me anyway
The coffee will flow well next season once the niners get some OL help; give the young starbuck a chance
id rather get a legit left guard than another backup running back
  • nj49erfan
  • Info N/A
He's a homerun hitter. He's a RB/PR/KR. Can also put him in the slot if we want to stretch out the D. Arguably the most explosive offensive player in the draft. Seems almost too simple.

DRAFT CJ SPILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ruthless49er:
were you guys watching the same games i was? When they put in Coffee our Oline was just flat out terrible. Gore couldnt get any runs either. He rushes for a hundred in three out of his last four and all of a sudden everyone forgets the earlier games? The Oline played like sht. Coffee is a good back. hell be a good player. Full of talent and possibly wouldve wont he hiesman if he stayed in school this year.

We need a change of pace back who can be primarly our KR/PR. not a backup RB. spend the money and draft picks on more important things...like better offensive linemen.

Not to mention the playcalling was effing predictable, especially when Gore missed time. A blind man could have known when we were going to run.

Originally posted by danimal:
Given where he was drafted, we can't give up on him that quickly.

He didn't look that bad to me anyway

Not to mention that Coffee was a preseason board favorite and some were ready to call Canton to get his bust ready, and then Raye-Ball took over

Got to love the 2 faced Niner Talkians.

I wait to judge Coffee after he actually gets to run behind and NFL caliber offensive line.
CJ Spiller

CJ spiller kick returner, punt returner, and running back
4.28 unofficial 40 time
195lbs
5-11
I just found this highlight reel on YouTube. I'm sold!

He fast, strong, great change of direction, lots of gears. He also has great, natural hands. He runs back kicks too!

He probably won't last til 13.

[ Edited by millerb1 on Jan 12, 2010 at 17:34:49 ]
Most Draft Gurus say he will, but we will have to wait and see
Share 49ersWebzone