LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

Does anybody think that Balmer has the potential to do....anything?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
he's a bust and will never amount to anything. at least he got paid though.

[ Edited by WestCoast on Jan 12, 2010 at 14:03:06 ]
He was really starting to play well before he got, granted it was in limited snaps but I do still think he can be a solid, starting LDE in the 3-4
He's going to take awhile to develop. Unfortunately (for him) and fortunately for the 49ers, the defensive line is playing so well that we didn't see much of Balmer this season. If he manages to crack the starting line-up next season it means he has improved tremendously and is playing at a high level. I just don't see it happening, so Balmer is going to have to get something done in the minimal snaps that he plays.
He'd probably put up better stats if he was our PR.
To think, we could have selected DeSean Jackson instead. I understand hindsight is 20/20 and that many other teams passed on Jackson as well, but a guy like Balmer could have been had in the later rounds, while Jackson filled an immediate need and would have proved to be a steal at that selection. Balmer maybe a late bloomer and prove to be serviceable, but for sure is a bust as far as first round picks are concerned. McClaughan really showed his ignorance on that one. Hope it was just a fluke on his part but I really question his ability to identify talent, a Bill Walsh type GM he is not.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
DeSean Jackson

couldn't put it any better
What did Franklin do his first few years in the league? Now look at him.

So before writing Balmer off as a bust maybe we should keep in mind what the 'experts' said when we drafted him that he would be a project just like most 3-4 lineman.
Wasn't impressed when the team drafted him and I'm still not impressed.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
He'd probably put up better stats if he was our PR.

For some reason the ball always seems to find him when he is blocking on kickoff returns
This was a puzzling pick to me-but D. Jackson has proven he would have been worth better, and as everyone says-coulda traded out and still get him-kinda wanted him for ST to. Of course then smith would have no excuse now and maybe wouldn't have taken crabtree? However who knows how the football demi-gods think

• Dreskee
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
There was potentially no talent left in the first round up until the spot we had picked, so we should have traded that pick out to obtain DeSean Jackson or Ray Rice in the second round (and pick up a jobber in the 3rd).

It sucks to have a 1st round pick that plays like a 4th rounder.

I feel u on this but its easy to say who to pick years down the road when we see what they can do. Jackson went to the 2nd rd cuz people thought he was undersized to play WR in this league. I hope Balmer can get it together so we dont look stupid AGAIN for wastin a 1st rd pick
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Lets be honest. The guy hasn't done anything. Some of you say that he clogs holes, but how can you be satisfied with stats like these:

He has played in 27 games.

He has 11 solo tackles in 27 games.

He has 8 assisted tackles in 27 games.

So that is a total of 19 tackles in 27 games.

Not to mention, he has never had a sack.

He also is not a Starter. He's in maybe 1 to 2 downs out of every 3.

So as long as AF is re-signed Balmer is STILL going to be a backup.

So his numbers are impacted by the time he gets on the field. Not much time= low numbers.

That simple.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by miked1978:
What did Franklin do his first few years in the league? Now look at him.

So before writing Balmer off as a bust maybe we should keep in mind what the 'experts' said when we drafted him that he would be a project just like most 3-4 lineman.

A good GM doesn't select projects in the first round of the draft. And for the record, Franklin was not a first round selection.
Its unnerving though at how some of our linemen and others that we no longer wanted found life better when they went elsewhere.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Its unnerving though at how some of our linemen and others that we no longer wanted found life better when they went elsewhere.

Like 49ers practice squadder Harvey Dahl who couldn't crack the active roster yet now he starts for Atlanta? Yeah, that is disturbing, but most players we've let go haven't gone on to do much. Dahl is an exception at this point, but troubling just the same.
Share 49ersWebzone