There are 201 users in the forums

Patrick Willis stats compared to Ray Lewis during his DPOY seasons

Shop Find 49ers gear online
You guys are forgetting the most important stat:

Ray Lewis Murders: 1

Patrick Willis: 0
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Sadly, Willis is stuck on a dysfunctional team that cannot make the playoffs, so he's literally underrated (although being a consecutive pro-bowler with back-to-back stat-leading years, and media gratitude).

playoffs next year baby!!
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
In just 2 years, Willis has established himself as the second best D player in the game (Polomalu is 1st imo).

In 2 more years he'll be number 1 and winnin dpoy alllll day

Even though I hate the Cowboys, Demarcus Ware is the best.

With all due respect...your an idiot...DeCRAPus Ware isn't anywhere near the player Patrick Willis or Polomalu is....Oh, cuz you see him make a play on a nationally televised game, that makes him great??? Watch him play a full game, see how many times you see him dominated by the better LT's in the league....he is way overrated....Merriman, before the injury, was much better and more consistent!!! And if you truly hated the Cowpies, that idiots name would have never come up, there are plenty of great Defensive players in the league that are MUCH better than him! MUCH! And he isn't even close to being at PDub's level!!!

NINERS4LIFE!
Originally posted by zaro49er:
In just 2 years, Willis has established himself as the second best D player in the game (Polomalu is 1st imo).

With all due respect...your an idiot...DeCRAPus Ware isn't anywhere near the player Patrick Willis or Polomalu is....Oh, cuz you see him make a play on a nationally televised game, that makes him great??? Watch him play a full game, see how many times you see him dominated by the better LT's in the league....he is way overrated....Merriman, before the injury, was much better and more consistent!!! And if you truly hated the Cowpies, that idiots name would have never come up, there are plenty of great Defensive players in the league that are MUCH better than him! MUCH! And he isn't even close to being at PDub's level!!!

NINERS4LIFE!

you cant mad that he called you an idiot cuz he said with all due respect first
PW did receive some consideration for DPOY, I believe he finished 6th in voting.

1.Woodson
2.Revis
3.Allen
4.Dumervil
5.Sharper
6.Willis
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by susweel:
Pat is great player no doubt about it. The only that separates him and Ray are that Ray has the ability to inspire an entire team. He is the kind of leader that every coach dream about, he holds everybody to play at a higher standard. He's truly one the special players of all time.

Pat is a great individual player, maybe even better then Ray. However he does lack Ray's leadership skills.

I agree with this.

-9fA

Ray's leadership skills in his 3rd season weren't all they are cracked up to be now.

And Willis is a pretty damn good leader going into his 4th season that much better.

~Ceadder

You make a good point. I hope that Willis does develop some leadership skills because it's going to be his defense for the next 10 years.

-9fA
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
PW did receive some consideration for DPOY, I believe he finished 6th in voting.

1.Woodson
2.Revis
3.Allen
4.Dumervil
5.Sharper
6.Willis

That wasn't the people that voted for DPOY. They only chose one person. Patrick Willis received no votes from them.
Originally posted by zaro49er:

NINERS4LIFE!

With all due respect, you are a bigger idiot because you are a HOMER and blind to other talented players on teams you despise. Go out and watch other teams play before you make foolish comments like this. By the way, you can hate a team but still respect the talent they have. I have friends that are Cowboy fans and they have hated the 49ers since 1990, so I have watched a few more Dallas games than the average 49er fan.

Back to Demarcus Ware. He plays the MOST IMPORTANT position in a 3-4, pass rushing OLB. And before you argue that, in the past Walsh, Belichik, Parcells, Wade Phillips, and Siefert have mentioned that this is the most important position to have.
Last year Ware had 20 sacks. That hasn't been done in a very long time.
Did you see him own the Saints, when they were beaten for the first time? In games he is often double-teamed on passing plays which opens up plays for his teammates. Even if you don't see him getting a sack, another player is, or a QB has a bad throw because he is hurried.
Since this is now a passing league, guess which player GMs would rather have, a great ILB or a great pass rusher? Yeah, it would be pass rusher. Also, more than a few NFL magazines have Ware rated as the best D player in the league. J. Allen, Asomhuga, and Ware are often in the top 5.

Yes Willis is the best ILB in the game, but he not the best defensive player.

[ Edited by FunkNinerFlex on Jan 13, 2010 at 20:37:44 ]
Our beloved Team better pay PAT WILLIS #52 to stay in Red and Gold. Although OL is a top priority for this draft, We need to address the DL as well. Franklin has come into his own, and He will demand to be paid as well. Maybe too much. If we stay with the 3-4, we are going to need another NT to develop as Balmer shows nothing and Soap is just a back up..a good one...but not great. Brooks, who is finally emerging (Due to Coach Singletary's refusal to give up on this kid) may just be the answer at OLB...but can he do it full time? Lawson will never be the pass rusher we hoped for, nor is Haralson. Lawson excells in other areas (coverage, against the run, and occasional pocket pressure), but we still lack a pass rush(er) that will keep OC's up at night. Manusky squeezed as much as he could out of our 'D' So here we are at 8-8....blah,blah,blah. Spikes won't last forever, but has been outstanding next to PW. Is McKillop his replacement?

Still too many ifs after 10 years of 'rebuiling... pardon my rant..
Pat Willis should have been DPOY...GO NINERS!!
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:

Patrick Willis: 1

*Dang got the file pwillis**t auto edited

[ Edited by AkNiners on Jan 13, 2010 at 22:15:19 ]

Originally posted by AkNiners:

Patrick Willis: 2

that actually counts for two.
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:

1.Woodson
2.Revis
3.Allen
4.Dumervil
5.Sharper
6.Willis

Sorry but IMO Willis should have finished at least 4th, Dumervil and Sharper above him? Really? Woodson, Revis and Allen ahd pretty good years but I think Revis should have been more than woodson. He shut down everyone he played against this year.
Originally posted by ruthless49er:
Originally posted by AkNiners:

Patrick Willis: 2

that actually counts for two.

I bet that was why the Jets were willing to tamper with Tree. Cause Willis gave that guy the beatin of his life that he wakes up in the middle of the night with terrors and refuses to go over the middle anymore.

~Ceadder
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Winners:
I was wondering about this, so I went and did a little bit of research. Willis's numbers match up well to Ray Lewis's back when he was DPOY. I think he should have been at least discussed.

Patrick Willis
--------------
152 Tackles (1st in the NFL by 10 tackles)
INT 3 (1 returned for a TD)
Sacks 4
Pdef 11
FFumbles 3

Compare that to the stats for Ray Lewis during his DPOY season in 2003

Ray Lewis
----------
Tackles 120
Sacks 1.5
INT 6
Defensive TD 1
Pdefensed 13
FFumbles 2

or Ray Lewis in 2000 when he won DPOY

Ray Lewis
---------
2 INTs
2 PDefensed
0 Forced Fumbles
Sacks 3
(No tackles stats)

Tackles are easy to come by when teams are running out the clock and riding out a lead. On a winning team Willis will have lower numbers but will garnish recognition. Unfortunately I don't see it possibly happening until 2011. Be happy he's a probowler for now.
You dont get a Player of the Year award on a bad team unless you have a totally incredible year or break some kind of record AKA Chris Johnson.
Share 49ersWebzone