LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

Patrick Willis stats compared to Ray Lewis during his DPOY seasons

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I was wondering about this, so I went and did a little bit of research. Willis's numbers match up well to Ray Lewis's back when he was DPOY. I think he should have been at least discussed.

Patrick Willis
--------------
152 Tackles (1st in the NFL by 10 tackles)
INT 3 (1 returned for a TD)
Sacks 4
Pdef 11
FFumbles 3

Compare that to the stats for Ray Lewis during his DPOY season in 2003

Ray Lewis
----------
Tackles 120
Sacks 1.5
INT 6
Defensive TD 1
Pdefensed 13
FFumbles 2

or Ray Lewis in 2000 when he won DPOY

Ray Lewis
---------
2 INTs
2 PDefensed
0 Forced Fumbles
Sacks 3
(No tackles stats)
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
There over all defense was ranked better and also they were in the playoffs if I remember correctly.
When do they announce the DPOY?
Originally posted by susweel:
There over all defense was ranked better and also they were in the playoffs if I remember correctly.

Which would make a less convincing argument for Lewis's numbers over Willis's. Its DPOY not DOY.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Winners:
Originally posted by susweel:

Which would make a less convincing argument for Lewis's numbers over Willis's. Its DPOY not DOY.

But thats not the award is judged.
Originally posted by socalfan21:
When do they announce the DPOY?

today its charles woodson
Sadly, Willis is stuck on a dysfunctional team that cannot make the playoffs, so he's literally underrated (although being a consecutive pro-bowler with back-to-back stat-leading years, and media gratitude).
One thing i hate is that the NFL started to late to make Tackles a official stats until the 2000 season why did it take so long for the NFL to track does stats.........its one of the main important stats on defense.

I guess no one really knows who is the all time leader in the NFL.

*update* i found Lewis early year tackle stats

RAY LEWIS:
YEAR TEAM G TOT SOLO AST PD SACK FF REC INT YDS TD
1996 BAL 14 110 94 16 6 2.5 0 0 1 0 0
1997 BAL 16 183 155 28 11 4.0 1 0 1 18 0
1998 BAL 14 118 99 19 7 3.0 1 0 2 25 0

PATRICK WILLIS:
YEAR TEAM G TOT SOLO AST PD SACK FF REC INT YDS TD
2007 SFO 16 174 135 39 5 4.0 2 0 0 0 0
2008 SFO 16 141 109 32 10 1.0 1 0 1 86 1
2009 SFO 16 152 114 38 8 4.0 3 0 3 33 1

So far Willis 3 1st full season's look better then Lewis i hope he keeps it up
I WANT THE NFL TO KNOW THE NAME PATRICK WILLIS when its all set & done.

[ Edited by Tru2RedNGold25 on Jan 12, 2010 at 13:37:02 ]
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
One thing i hate is that the NFL started to late to make Tackles a official stats until the 2000 season why did it take so long for the NFL to track does stats.........its one of the main important stats on defense.

I guess no one really knows who is the all time leader in the NFL.
with that saying we will never know if when Patrick Willis retires he had more tackles then Ray Lewis & if he really will be the better linebacker when its all set & done.

Tackles really isn't an important stat homie there are a lot of varibles going into this stat that's why it wasn't official.
What a joke, Woodson got it ok, Revis had a great season too, but to say he wasn't top 5 ? Dumervill, ahead of Willis? It's a joke, just because Willis isn't as flashy, he doesn't get the votes. Willis Shoul've been the 2nd place vote getter over Revis, or closely behind.

• Dreskee
  • Info N/A
P-Willy wont be on Ray Ray's level in the eyes of NON niner fans until this team starts winnin and makin the playoffs, and we have a top 5 defense year after year. Funny part is all this talk about Willis dont mean crap if he doesnt extend his contract with us. If we dont start winnin soon this guy will leave us. He did grow up a cowboy fan just throwin it out there.
Originally posted by Dreskee:
P-Willy wont be on Ray Ray's level in the eyes of NON niner fans until this team starts winnin and makin the playoffs, and we have a top 5 defense year after year. Funny part is all this talk about Willis dont mean crap if he doesnt extend his contract with us. If we dont start winnin soon this guy will leave us. He did grow up a cowboy fan just throwin it out there.

Give me one link where Willis has indicated anything other than 100% support for the team. One link where he has hinted of leaving if the team doesn't get better.

The guy has class. Team player.
  • Dreskee
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Dreskee:

Give me one link where Willis has indicated anything other than 100% support for the team. One link where he has hinted of leaving if the team doesn't get better.

The guy has class. Team player.

I know he has 100% support right now but please tell me this. If we keep wasting season after season of losin and a contending team is willing to pay this dude, u think he's gonna stay for the team? He keeps playin like he's playin he's gonna be the most sought after FA in a couple years. There's a reason why he hasnt extended yet.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Pat is great player no doubt about it. The only that separates him and Ray are that Ray has the ability to inspire an entire team. He is the kind of leader that every coach dream about, he holds everybody to play at a higher standard. He's truly one the special players of all time.

Pat is a great individual player, maybe even better then Ray. However he does lack Ray's leadership skills.
When the 49ers win more games & make the playoffs, Willis will be in the running for Defensive Player of the Year.
Share 49ersWebzone