LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Per MM.....Bobby April IS ON 49ERS' RADAR :

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by TX9R:
Great. SO he has a choice between us and perennial contenders Pittsburgh, who never fires coaches. I wonder which one he'll choose.

Bobby April was fired by Bill Cowher in 1995 after one season as Special Teams Coordinator.

But they never fire coaches, right?

Head coaches? No. they've had 3 in my lifetime. Case in point: USCs OC was coveted by Chicago who has a QB he's had success with, he went to Seattle (a much worse situation talent-wise) and stated the long term stability was the difference. Would you want to take a job knowing all of your higher ups have basically one year to turn it around? All things being equal it's absolutely a factor.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Dear Lord. Things have gotten so bad with this team that a Bills Special Teams coach not only gets his own thread -- but an actual discussion of whether he can lead us back to the Super Bowl or the playoffs.

Dear God: Help us. Help us please.

Yep they have. In fact, it's FRONT PAGE NEWS on the Webzone. You would think this guy was a OC or a position coach of major impact. I mean I'm a fan of special teams, but seriously..... You'd think the guy was moments away from signing a deal.

LOl, that is true, cuz i aint even gonna lie, but the publicity the zone and reporters are giving him, im like who the hell is this guy.
Dear Lord. Things have gotten so bad with this team that a Bills Special Teams coach not only gets his own thread -- but an actual discussion of whether he can lead us back to the Super Bowl or the playoffs.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Super Bowl.

It's clear you know absolutely nothing about NFL football. Bobby April is a highly respected Special Teams Coordinator. He's won two league awards working in this capacity. The Buffalo Bills actually wanted to retain April; he opted out of the final two years of his deal once the season ended.

You want to talk about Special Teams taking a team to the playoffs?

What if Percy Harvin doesn't take a kick off back for a touchdown in the third quarter in Minnesota? 49ers might have won.

What if Everest doesn't call a reverse in the first quarter in Seattle? 49ers might have won.

What if Arnaz Battle doesn't muff a punt in the second quarter in Houston? 49ers might have won.

Field position is huge for a team that relies heavily on defense and offensive ball control. Landing a highly regarded special teams coordinator would go a long way to improving the unit and the team as a group.
This would be a HUGE move. Buffalo has been trying to trade Roscoe Parrish for a year. Bring in Bobby April, give up a 5th rounder for Parrish, and we have 1/2 of our new and revamped return team. DO IT
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
I would love to add April but im not sure there would be a big difference in we had him or Mac Duff as our ST's coach. Mac Duff also has a good track record as ST's coach and while April has been considered one of the league's best ST's coaches for a while now, what major impact or difference can a really good ST's coach make?

Really?

If a better ST unit produces a net difference of -10 yards of starting field position for the opponent, and a 10 yard different in our starting field position, it can a greater probability to result from TDs to FGs, FGs to Punts, and vice versa for when we are on offense.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:

Yep they have. In fact, it's FRONT PAGE NEWS on the Webzone. You would think this guy was a OC or a position coach of major impact. I mean I'm a fan of special teams, but seriously..... You'd think the guy was moments away from signing a deal.

LOl, that is true, cuz i aint even gonna lie, but the publicity the zone and reporters are giving him, im like who the hell is this guy.

Special teams can be huge. Having a solid ST coordinator could do wonders for this team.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Special teams can be huge. Having a solid ST coordinator could do wonders for this team.

And apparently you guys don't follow football too closely. Buffalo has had the best special teams in football for quite some time; even before Bobby April. Seems as this was one of, if not the most prevalent issue on our team this season, you should probably recognize it for what it would be; a huge boost, and possibly the factor that gets us over the edge
Originally posted by KknighthawkK_9er:

And apparently you guys don't follow football too closely. Buffalo has had the best special teams in football for quite some time; even before Bobby April. Seems as this was one of, if not the most prevalent issue on our team this season, you should probably recognize it for what it would be; a huge boost, and possibly the factor that gets us over the edge

good point hawk.
Special Teams is 1/3 to 1/4 of our team. In any case since football is a game of inchs, 10 more yards per kick off or punt is a lot of yardage in a season. If you have a good punt return team you can also add 1-3 touchdowns per year, another avenue of potential wins.

I remember a couple of plays this year - the fumbled kick off that led to the touchdown against St. Louis. The infamous confused hand off with Seattle, the fumble that led to a momentum shift with Tennessee, the punt return for TD by Minnesota. That is four potential games lost, or won by the influence of special teams.

So for me Special Teams is a very very important part of the Niners. I would like the best possible team.

I would also like Cribbs if we could get him without harming our draft. If not Cribbs I think we need to get a talented punt returner in the draft. I think we also need to start watching for a Kicker as well for Nedney is getting older and someday we will have to get a new kicker. I would also like a Kicker that gets us touchbacks and Nedney can not do that.

Two other thoughts. I thought Green Bays onside kick was masterful and kept the momentum going for them. Racker almost blew the game with his missed field goal. So Special Teams is important to the success to the team.
some people will find anything to be negative about.

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFCH3DDERZ:

hater

his name is stupid

Being that our special teams costed us 2 games I would say its very important.
Originally posted by valrod33:

his name is stupid

i know right, why not May.

Bobby Mays..lol

Well . . . this is the offseason and ST Coordinator is the only current vacancy on the staff. Hence the extra attention.

Quote:
49ers coach Mike Singletary met with ex-Bills ST coach Bobby April today in Orlando. SF has vacancy after Al Everest's deal not renewed.

http://twitter.com/MattMaiocco/status/7686044694

[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Jan 12, 2010 at 15:05:18 ]
Share 49ersWebzone