LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

Per MM.....Bobby April IS ON 49ERS' RADAR :

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by TX9R:
Great. SO he has a choice between us and perennial contenders Pittsburgh, who never fires coaches. I wonder which one he'll choose.

Bobby April was fired by Bill Cowher in 1995 after one season as Special Teams Coordinator.

But they never fire coaches, right?

Great find. But I am sure you do recognize that Pittsburgh is widely considered by coaches to be a place of greater relative security...right?
I would be really (pleasently) suprised if April choses to work for Singletary over two superbowl winning coaches (Shanahan & Tomlin).
Originally posted by danimal:
Great. SO he has a choice between us and perennial contenders Pittsburgh, who never fires coaches. I wonder which one he'll choose.

Bobby April was fired by Bill Cowher in 1995 after one season as Special Teams Coordinator.

Great find. But I am sure you do recognize that Pittsburgh is widely considered by coaches to be a place of greater relative security...right?

Not really. Turnover at the position coach and coordinator level is pretty much equal across the board in the NFL.

Pittsburgh Steelers Coaches Fired or not retained in 2009: Special Teams Coordinator Bob Ligashesky, Offensive Line Coach Larry Zierlein and Quaterbacks Coach Ken Anderson (retired).

Most of the current staff were hired when Tolmin took over in 2007.

As a generalization, winning teams tend to keep coaches around than fire them, but this is more related to Head Coach turnover. I don't see Singeltary getting fired after two seasons.

Not really. Turnover at the position coach and coordinator level is pretty much equal across the board in the NFL.

Pittsburgh Steelers Coaches Fired or not retained in 2009: Special Teams Coordinator Bob Ligashesky, Offensive Line Coach Larry Zierlein and Quaterbacks Coach Ken Anderson (retired).

As a generalization, winning teams tend to keep coaches around than fire them, but this is more related to Head Coach turnover. I don't see Singeltary getting fired after two seasons.

OK, I can buy that. But I am quite certain Bobby April would bet that Tomlin is safer than Sing

[ Edited by danimal on Jan 11, 2010 at 16:43:34 ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

OK, I can buy that. But I am quite certain Bobby April would bet that Tomlin is safer than Sing

See my post on the previous page. Why is it assumed that job security is the only reason why coaches accept positions?

Jim Schwartz would be apes**t crazy if he thought the Detroit Lions would give him the most job security out of the available head coaching positions.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by teeohh:
maybe the west coast will be appealing

Bay area cost of living and CA tax rates. Its gonna be a hard sell.
I dont like our chances with April, although both him and McDuff sound like they are great candidates! Anyone hear if Everest has received any offers??

You think so? Mike Tomlin's Steelers just missed the playoffs for the first time in three seasons with a roster considered superior to their Super Bowl winning team in 2008. The team lost five or their last eight, three teams being the Chiefs, Raiders and Browns.

Another season like 2009 and Tomlin could be out as Head Coach.
Originally posted by GEEK:

See my post on the previous page. Why is it assumed that job security is the only reason why coaches accept positions?

Jim Schwartz would be apes**t crazy if he thought the Detroit Lions would give him the most job security out of the available head coaching positions.

yes good point. I agree, that factor is over estimated on the zone.

You know another zone over estimate that happens a lot. This great city. I really don't think people care that much about the City as Niners fans hope.
Dear Lord. Things have gotten so bad with this team that a Bills Special Teams coach not only gets his own thread -- but an actual discussion of whether he can lead us back to the Super Bowl or the playoffs.

Dear God: Help us. Help us please.

make him an offer he can't refuse
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Dear Lord. Things have gotten so bad with this team that a Bills Special Teams coach not only gets his own thread -- but an actual discussion of whether he can lead us back to the Super Bowl or the playoffs.

Dear God: Help us. Help us please.

Haha yah Bill I never thought I'd see this day. Hahaha
Would be great to get him.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Ouch, hopefully Singletary some how persuades him.

For anyone wondering about Bobby April:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/bobby-april-receives-coach-of-the-year-award/a00275cb-f7b6-4229-8e5a-b6af83758df0

With the success of Harbaugh in Baltimore, I think more front offices will hire guys like April for HC gigs. If April can turn a mediocre ST unit to a top 5 ST unit, he'll get the opportunity for a HC gig.

Now, the biggest question is what team will provide him the resources to make that step up happen. The 49ers have a good kicker, pro-bowl punter, and the best long snapper in the game. The main fix is the return and coverage units.

I don't know anything about the Steelers unit, but the 49ers should be an attractive place for a special teams coach.

I hope you are right!
I would love to add April but im not sure there would be a big difference in we had him or Mac Duff as our ST's coach. Mac Duff also has a good track record as ST's coach and while April has been considered one of the league's best ST's coaches for a while now, what major impact or difference can a really good ST's coach make?
Share 49ersWebzone