LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 369 users in the forums

So....What happens now???.....????

Shop Find 49ers gear online
So I’ve been kinda sitting back just reading posts since the season ended and basically I hear a lot of blaaa blaaa blaaa.. Not to say that I’m not just talking out of the side of my @ss, but to me this organization is in flux.

What did we learn this year? We never established an offensive identity. Alex Smith still looks VERY inconsistent. The O-line still needs a lot of work, and doesn’t seem to have much direction either.

Defensively---The defense looked all right at times. The secondary needs upgrades across the board.
The D-line was a pleasant surprise, they were stout against the run. We generated a pass rush! It was not consistent but we did put heat on opposing Qb’s. We could use another play making linebacker. (Brooks did look good this year.)

Coaching--- We looked overmatched many times this year. Singletary is not a coaching genius by any stretch of the imagination. Our game planning was very elementary on both sides of the ball. We have a great motivator as a HC but other than that not much more. I’ll give him credit, he adapted midseason when he saw his caveman approach to offense was not working.. Other than that… Ehhhhh…..not too impressed.

So what does all this mean? I just don’t see any direction for this football team. NONE. If Alex doesn’t improve next season we will be set back another 7 years.. That’s unless Nate Davis comes out and saves the day. I’m just a lost fan… Looking for some form of hope..

[ Edited by jays9ers on Jan 11, 2010 at 13:56:56 ]
*edit*

[ Edited by NineFourNiner on Jan 11, 2010 at 14:05:52 ]
I guess it means we sit with our "thumb up our A**" and say woe is me.

On your coaches, how many of these geniuses you speak about are coaching in the NFL today? Is Rex Ryan a genius? Since Belichek is a "genius" does that make John Harbaugh a genius since he beat him this weekend? Wait, Belichek was a failure in Cleveland? What did the great magician wave the magic twanger when he went to New England? Is Wade Phillips a genius? Is Norv Turner a genius? I've seen a lot of people say that both are great coordinators but head coaches.

Do geniuses happen overnight or do they evolve over time?

Maybe you actually need a build a team versus signing everyones FAs. A good thing this year since we have two 1st rounders and free agency doesn't look like it FA signings won't happen much this year.
Simultaneous post!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
LMAO @ syber
What does it all mean?

I would project that the defense has a little ways to go to be top notch, and will get there.

The offense has a long way to go and will not get there without some major changes. Even if they figure out what their "identity" is. I do not expect a miraculous turnaround considering current personnel & offensive coordinator.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

On your coaches, how many of these geniuses you speak about are coaching in the NFL today? Is Rex Ryan a genius? Since Belichek is a "genius" does that make John Harbaugh a genius since he beat him this weekend? Wait, Belichek was a failure in Cleveland? What did the great magician wave the magic twanger when he went to New England? Is Wade Phillips a genius? Is Norv Turner a genius? I've seen a lot of people say that both are great coordinators but head coaches.

Maybe you actually need a build a team versus signing everyones FAs. A good thing this year since we have two 1st rounders and free agency doesn't look like it FA signings won't happen much this year.
I’ll give you part of your argument about coaches taking time to develop. But you have to admit times this year when we should have been prepared we came out lacking and underperforming. The Greenbay game coming off the bye week, it was as if they did ZERO game planning. We some decent have time adjustments to make the game look somewhat competitive. The game after the Thursday night game (essentially a mini bye week) We came out the next week at totally stunk up the joint again. That has a direct reflect on poor game planning bye the coaches and in my eyes is unacceptable.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jays9ers:
So I’ve been kinda sitting back just reading posts since the season ended and basically I hear a lot of blaaa blaaa blaaa.. Not to say that I’m not just talking out of the side of my @ss, but to me this organization is in flux.

What did we learn this year? We never established an offensive identity. Alex Smith still looks VERY inconsistent. The O-line still needs a lot of work, and doesn’t seem to have much direction either.

Defensively---The defense looked all right at times. The secondary needs upgrades across the board.
The D-line was a pleasant surprise, they were stout against the run. We generated a pass rush! It was not consistent but we did put heat on opposing Qb’s. We could use another play making linebacker. (Brooks did look good this year.)

Coaching--- We looked overmatched many times this year. Singletary is not a coaching genius by any stretch of the imagination. Our game planning was very elementary on both sides of the ball. We have a great motivator as a HC but other than that not much more. I’ll give him credit, he adapted midseason when he saw his caveman approach to offense was not working.. Other than that… Ehhhhh…..not too impressed.

So what does all this mean? I just don’t see any direction for this football team. NONE. If Alex doesn’t improve next season we will be set back another 7 years.. That’s unless Nate Davis comes out and saves the day. I’m just a lost fan… Looking for some form of hope..

Wow...after reading that, one would think they were 4-12 and not 8-8.

Without getting into particulars, here is your "hope" and "direction":

The hope is that Smith resurrected his career and that for the first time in his career, it appears he will get a second off-season with the same coordinator/system while also having legitimate weapons to work with (Gore, Davis, Crabtree and Morgan).

The hope is that Crabtree had a good season despite missing all of camp and should get a lot better with a full off-season to work with Smith, fully learn the playbook, etc.

The hope is that the OL played better towards the end of the season with Gore going over 100 yards in 3 of the last 4 and, with the exception of the 1st half against the Rams, sacks became less and less frequent.

The hope is that the 49ers have 2 No. 1 picks and a 2nd round pick in a draft that is likely to be very deep. There will probably be limited movement in free agency so having stocked up on draft picks is important.

The hope is that the 49ers lost 5 games by 6 points or less and another by 7 points. A play here or there and modest improvement all the way around could change a couple of those close losses into wins. Just going 2-4 in those games would have put them at 10-6.

The hope is that the defense was #4 in the league in points allowed and should get better if the 49ers can get full seasons from Brooks and Clements and Goldson continues the improvement he showed over this season's final month.

The direction is that 2010 is all about Smith and the offense. It is Smith's last year to prove he is the guy. If he doesn't, then the franchise will have to turn to Davis, draft another QB or look in free agency, all of which may set the team back anywhere from slightly to significantly.
Originally posted by kem99:

The hope is that Smith resurrected his career and that for the first time in his career, it appears he will get a second off-season with the same coordinator/system while also having legitimate weapons to work with (Gore, Davis, Crabtree and Morgan).

The hope is that Crabtree had a good season despite missing all of camp and should get a lot better with a full off-season to work with Smith, fully learn the playbook, etc.

The hope is that the OL played better towards the end of the season with Gore going over 100 yards in 3 of the last 4 and, with the exception of the 1st half against the Rams, sacks became less and less frequent.

The hope is that the 49ers have 2 No. 1 picks and a 2nd round pick in a draft that is likely to be very deep. There will probably be limited movement in free agency so having stocked up on draft picks is important.

The hope is that the 49ers lost 5 games by 6 points or less and another by 7 points. A play here or there and modest improvement all the way around could change a couple of those close losses into wins. Just going 2-4 in those games would have put them at 10-6.

The hope is that the defense was #4 in the league in points allowed and should get better if the 49ers can get full seasons from Brooks and Clements and Goldson continues the improvement he showed over this season's final month.

The direction is that 2010 is all about Smith and the offense. It is Smith's last year to prove he is the guy. If he doesn't, then the franchise will have to turn to Davis, draft another QB or look in free agency, all of which may set the team back anywhere from slightly to significantly.

I like your optimism.

Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

thats awesome
Abandon hope all ye who enter...............
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

I’ll give you part of your argument about coaches taking time to develop. But you have to admit times this year when we should have been prepared we came out lacking and underperforming. The Greenbay game coming off the bye week, it was as if they did ZERO game planning. We some decent have time adjustments to make the game look somewhat competitive. The game after the Thursday night game (essentially a mini bye week) We came out the next week at totally stunk up the joint again. That has a direct reflect on poor game planning bye the coaches and in my eyes is unacceptable.

I completely agree about us seeming unprepared at times. It seemed like the opponents defensive coordinator always had an idea on what we were going to do at the start of a game. In Raye's defense he seemed to due well in making changes and getting us off to a good start in the third quarter.

I would like to see Johnson take over the game planning. We could take a page from the Bill Walsh era and have him script the first 15-20 plays. Johnson has been working with Smith all this year and should have a good idea on what his strengths are and would be able to change the initial game plan on a week to week basis. This would keep the opponents defense off balance at the start of the game. Then Raye could see from above what is working and make changes accordingly.

Man you should be a politician! you're good,u got me fired up reading your rebuttal!
Nice post!

Share 49ersWebzone