LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

Looking Back, would you rather have had Pete Carroll or Mike Nolan?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i'd rather have aaron rodgers lmao
are you f'ing kidding?

We should have coughed up the money back then - but York was a cheap idiot. I don't understand why we are willing to spend on players but not on coaching. Even Singletary was a cheap hire - we should have paid whatever it would take to get somebody from the Walsh family tree this last offseason.

Sorry, but duh.
Things happen for a reason; without Nolan, there's no Patrick & Samurai Sing
What does it matter now? We are we we are for a reason.
Originally posted by Method:
Per Matt Maiocco's latest twitter, " NFC West storyline: Pete Carroll didn't get any love from 49ers in 2005 when he was open to leaving USC for job that went to Mike Nolan. #fb",

I guess Pete Carroll was willing to leave USC to come coach the Niners in the same capacity that Nolan did. Would there be any doubt he would have been a better coach then Nolan given everything Nolan received from us? He was Head Coach, GM, and was probably the worst head coach possible for this team at the time he was hired. Threw people under the bus, didn't know how to win games, and his worst failure, IMO, was bringing in JTO. Ugh. I f**king despise JTO.

In my opinion, this is a no-brainer. Pete Carrol by a mile. Carroll has been an NFL head coach before, and he did have two playoff appearances. He also showed the ability to restore USC (a down program when he took over) back to greatness. He is a much more dynamic and creative personality than Nolan, and he would have been much more aggressive and innovative than Nolan, both with personnel and during games. Nolan didn't have a clue, and was over his head on Day 1. This is exactly why this team hasn't been above .500 for the past seven years; we have ownership that doesn't have good football judgement, and is always satisfied with paying less and settling for less with coaches.
Carroll's fate would have been just like Mooch's. Dumbass John York would have fired his ass before he could relinquish the club to Jed.
Maybe if we get Carroll, we get Leinart too?
Would Carroll have drafted Willis?...
Originally posted by 5xChamp:
Nolan brought us :

Nice pic!
ppl may hate on nolan but at least he built a core that we could build upon. he just wasn't a good coach, and the changing of OC's definitely killed him.

If you compare the talent before he came in and after, he really did a solid job. All we need is an O-line and some more athletic players on the D and we're set

Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
ppl may hate on nolan but at least he built a core that we could build upon. he just wasn't a good coach, and the changing of OC's definitely killed him.

If you compare the talent before he came in and after, he really did a solid job. All we need is an O-line and some more athletic players on the D and we're set

I agree. Always have. He took over an expansion team if you really think about it. He put together a NFL nucleus pretty efficiently. He did not do a Fantastic job, but he did not fail horribly either. He is not a good HC though, and had 1 too many years to prove that.

Sing inherited a far better situation than Nolan got.
Neither one.

Mike Shannahan.
I didnt know Caroll was our defensive coordinator in 95. We led the league in defense that year. I saw this on nfl network.
Originally posted by pelos21:
I didnt know Caroll was our defensive coordinator in 95. We led the league in defense that year. I saw this on nfl network.

oh yeah. But the NEW Niners are actually trying their best not bring back any of our people from that era. They are suceeding admirably btw.

Isn't it wonderful to watch everyone else bear the fruit of the old Niners
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by 5xChamp:
Nolan brought us :

Nice pic!

I like the pic but I like the Band of Brothers one better.
Share 49ersWebzone