LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 303 users in the forums

Looking Back, would you rather have had Pete Carroll or Mike Nolan?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Per Matt Maiocco's latest twitter, " NFC West storyline: Pete Carroll didn't get any love from 49ers in 2005 when he was open to leaving USC for job that went to Mike Nolan. #fb",

I guess Pete Carroll was willing to leave USC to come coach the Niners in the same capacity that Nolan did. Would there be any doubt he would have been a better coach then Nolan given everything Nolan received from us? He was Head Coach, GM, and was probably the worst head coach possible for this team at the time he was hired. Threw people under the bus, didn't know how to win games, and his worst failure, IMO, was bringing in JTO. Ugh. I f**king despise JTO.
Nolan brought Sing, next year Sing will bring the playoffs.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I would take Pete Carrol because Nolan really screwed up this team.
Oh lordy.
Pete Carroll has not done well as an NFL head Coach, Nolan sucked for three years as an NFL Head Coach. I think I will need to see how Carroll is doing three years from now before I really say how I feel.
If Carroll take the Sea-hens to the Super bowl and wins in the next three years I think you know the answer, but Iv'e got a feeling his stay in Seattle will be more like his stay in New England, and not like his work at USC.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Pete Carroll has not done well as an NFL head Coach, Nolan sucked for three years as an NFL Head Coach. I think I will need to see how Carroll is doing three years from now before I really say how I feel.
If Carroll take the Sea-hens to the Super bowl and wins in the next three years I think you know the answer, but Iv'e got a feeling his stay in Seattle will be more like his stay in New England, and not like his work at USC.

He went to the playoffs 2 out of 3 years with New England, and won the division.

No way to answer this question really b/c of so many variables.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Oh lordy.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Oh lordy.

~Ceadder

thats not enough facepalms.
  • mod
  • Veteran
I'd rather have Nolan. Like him or not, this team is miles ahead of what it was when he was hired... I dont think he was a good coach but he did bring in some decent players like Marques douglas, A. Franklin, Justin smith, nate clements, Larry Allen, and Walt Harris. He also drafted guys like Gore, Willis and Davis. I think where he lacked the most was managing games and personnel. Things could have been a lot worse, we'll see what Pete Carroll does with Seattle, but you will really never know what Carroll could have done with niners but things could have been a lot worse.
I'd take Carroll, no doubt. He had a + .500 record with not great teams (his 1st year was succeeding Parcells at NE, so they were good) as a head coach...he also had extensive experience as a position coach for 10-12 years prior to that. I predict he'll do well in Seattle...because part of his deal was to give him the final say on players. He's taking Ken Norton to coach his LB's and his USC OC (don't recall his name). A lot of people are predicting he'll fail, but I think he'll be fine.

Nolan brought us :

Originally posted by 5xChamp:
Nolan brought us :

The man!
  • Dreskee
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

He went to the playoffs 2 out of 3 years with New England, and won the division.

No way to answer this question really b/c of so many variables.

Not only that but Im sure he would've drafted completely diff players to fit he's likes and needs, so who knows where we'd be.
  • CSRKing21
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by susweel:
I would take Pete Carrol because Nolan really screwed up this team.

wtf r u talking about its because of Nolan this team is close to the playoffs
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Pete Carroll.

I think Carroll could have done a good job by keeping the 4-3, building around the talent, and revitalizing the offensive scheme but sticking with the WCO.

Nolan really expanded the rebuilding process by going to a 3-4 defense, and not addressing the offensive needs promptly or wisely.
Share 49ersWebzone